Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 27, 2017 6:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sparton 15 restoration
PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 12:00 pm 

Expanding foam: no reason to believe it would be conductive, but I'll check. When drying, it shows no sign of attacking anything else. Once dry, it is inert.

I don't have a big database on pot cleaning....only two basic observations:
WD40 does not fix all bad ones, but has never damaged one
I tried IPA only once or twice on older pots. When one got damaged, I never used it again

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 5:57 pm 

I've rarely had isopropyl alcohol attack anything, though I left an old toothbrush in a jar with alcohol in it over the weekend. It did mess up the toothbrush head after 48 hours of soaking in the stuff. Never thought that would happen!

Everyone has their preference for cleaning old pots. Use whatever works best for you.

Kinda doubt the expanding foam is conductive, or would attack the outside of the encapsulated capacitors. Never hurts to check. Actually, I like your idea of using it. You may be one of the first restorers to try that technique.

Keep up the good work Mark.
Mitch

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 7:00 pm 

IPA isopropyl alcohol.

I was wondering why you were using beer to clean a volume pot :wink: :lol: .

Outstanding work on that chassis.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 7:59 pm 

I have friends from India, they beautiful people and I feel fortunate to know them. But I've told them I do not like Indian food, sorry. And IPA, Indian Pale Ale, is not my favorite either. I'm a Guinness Extra Stout drinker.
:)

Just to be certain I'm on the same page with you, the re-stuffing is basically cosmetic? The old cans could have been left disconnected but attached to the chassis and the new caps placed elsewhere if there was room to do that?

Notice the question marks, because I'm interested in learning here if there is another electronic reason for doing that.

Your restoration looks awesome BTW. I hope it is a good receiver and sounds good when fired up.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2017 1:15 am 

I do not spend significant time on cosmetics under the chassis. In the case of the capacitor modules, I re-stuff them with the actual capacitors---mostly to preserve the wiring layout---and, in the case of radios like this one, because that's where the real estate is. This particular set is very cramped---look at the pictures and try to imagine how to get to the various tube pins for trouble-shooting.....:)

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2