Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 09, 2018 11:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roaring 20s Superhets
PostPosted: Sep Tue 19, 2017 2:17 am 

Oh, I love that Tyrman!

I have a 70 which is in a similar cabinet.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 19, 2017 2:33 am 

David Willenborg wrote:
I have had a long dry spell when it comes to adding 1920's vintage superhets to the collection, but the last few months I have picked up a few. Here is my purchase from the fall Kutztown meet. I have identified it as a Tryman 72, the DC version. Uses three 22 tubes and four 01A's. Ad pictures of the period show that it should have tube shields but there is only a 1/8" or so tall ring around the sockets, not much to secure a tube shield in place. Can anyone else share a picture of their Tyrman 72 chassis?

David

Nice find! Tube shields were designed to fit on those sockets and are definitely necessary to prevent instability. I may have one extra that you can have for the cost of shipping.

Norman

PostPosted: Sep Tue 19, 2017 4:11 am 

Nice radio. Nice cabinet too. Is that a Fritts? Tyrman must be in the stars or something. The shield covers just push down on the tube sockets. A tight friction fit. After trying unsuccessfully for about a week I finally got an appointment with the seller yesterday afternoon and was able to buy this Tyrman 70 (Shielded Grid 7). Filthy dirty and no cabinet. I uploaded some files to RMorg including an updated history, but so far it's not been updated and maybe lost with their outage? Tyrman died Aug 1, 1928 which pretty much ended the company. Thanks to Norman, I learned his business partner was Bill Lear. The wiki page on Bill Lear states both Lear and Tyrman developed ulcers from RCA's patent infringement litigation. Tyrman died in surgery, Lear changed his diet.

Matt

PostPosted: Sep Tue 19, 2017 3:31 pm 

I suggested RMorg change their Lincoln attribution on three Tyrman sets listed as "Lincoln Radio". Their source basis is Morgan McMahon's book which is flat out wrong. McMahon also shows several Silver Marshall sets as being made by Lincoln for 1928 (page 108). RMorg requires evidence proving McMahon is wrong to modify these models. Articles, advertisements, trademarks, patents, even pictures of the actual radios with the real mfg name clearly visible as shown on RMorg's own website are all unacceptable evidence. How do you prove an argument of ignorance? I give up.

RMorg reminds me of a large German company I once worked for. New products we wanted to add to our line had to go through an approval process in Germany. After repeated denials of almost everything submitted we once selected a German made part of our own company's production, removed the id info and submitted it for approval. Yeah, you guessed it. The part was promptly denied as being of inferior quality!

Matt

PostPosted: Sep Wed 20, 2017 3:29 am 

Matt,

Thank you for sharing your Tyrman. You asked if mine had a Fritts cabinet but I have no idea as to who the manufacturer was. Your Tyrman is like many of the supers I find, missing the cabinet. Often I have wondered if they ever had a cabinet. Cabinets were purchased separate from the kit, and some builders may have decided not to spend the money.

David

PostPosted: Sep Wed 20, 2017 5:48 am 

matt's basement wrote:
I suggested RMorg change their Lincoln attribution on three Tyrman sets listed as "Lincoln Radio". Their source basis is Morgan McMahon's book which is flat out wrong. McMahon also shows several Silver Marshall sets as being made by Lincoln for 1928 (page 108). RMorg requires evidence proving McMahon is wrong to modify these models. Articles, advertisements, trademarks, patents, even pictures of the actual radios with the real mfg name clearly visible as shown on RMorg's own website are all unacceptable evidence. How do you prove an argument of ignorance? I give up.

RMorg reminds me of a large German company I once worked for. New products we wanted to add to our line had to go through an approval process in Germany. After repeated denials of almost everything submitted we once selected a German made part of our own company's production, removed the id info and submitted it for approval. Yeah, you guessed it. The part was promptly denied as being of inferior quality!

Matt

This advertisement from the November, 1928 Radio Broadcast magazine is most likely the reference McMahon used for the Lincoln/Tyrman sets in his guide. The Tyrman sets were advertised by the Lincoln Radio Corp. as Lincoln Guaranteed complete kits and could easily be attributed to being a Lincoln set.

Of course we know today that Lincoln didn't actually make the Tyrman kits but the Lincoln reference is there in print so the reference to a Lincoln Tyrman at RM.org is going to stay. If I had more time I would go in an edit the Lincoln Tyrman model pages and link them to the Tyrman models but that will have to wait until another day.
Alan

Attachment:
USA_Lincoln 8-80 Nov. 1928 Radio Broadcast2 p3.jpg
USA_Lincoln 8-80 Nov. 1928 Radio Broadcast2 p3.jpg [ 96.62 KiB | Viewed 3024 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Wed 20, 2017 6:57 am 

Alan,
Thanks for taking the time to dig up that ad and I agree it is likely the source of the error. A few days ago I posted a picture of an ad Silver Marshall ran for Grebe radios so by the same logic I suggest RMorg change all Grebe MU-1 models to be shown as manufactured by Silver Marshall. It is ridiculous to perpetuate an error that possibly was made as far back as Ralph Langley's tabulation of 1933 and at least since McMahon's 1981 book when EVERYONE on the planet knows it to be incorrect. Nowhere in that ad does it state Lincoln manufactured any of those radios. Lincoln only claims to have approved and inspected the kits. There is a reason RMorg has such poor participation from US collectors which is unfortunate. I contribute what I can and use their site frequently. The virtual database is great, but the frustration level of participation seriously flaws its usefulness. Sorry to have veered off subject of superhets.

Matt

PostPosted: Nov Mon 06, 2017 10:56 am 

Atwater Kent 96 pics from a friend down under.

Attachment:
A93 WEB 1.jpg
A93 WEB 1.jpg [ 91.5 KiB | Viewed 2791 times ]

Attachment:
AK 93 WEB 2.jpg
AK 93 WEB 2.jpg [ 110.85 KiB | Viewed 2791 times ]

Attachment:
A93 part WEB.jpg
A93 part WEB.jpg [ 181.98 KiB | Viewed 2791 times ]

Impressed by the use of AVC that early, 1933. Was that usual by then?

Also see the series resonant circuit across the B+ filter capacitor.

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Mon 06, 2017 1:12 pm 

By 1933, AVC was quite common.

The first Superhet with AVC was the 1928 RCA Radiola 64.
It even has a tuning meter.

Philco also put AVC on their model 95 in 1929, but it is a TRF. By 1932, many radios had AVC as the Superhet became more common.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 11:38 pm 

Ultradyne L-2. Probably paid too much but had to have it. I have a working Radiola 812 that fascinates me and I wanted one more super to play with.

This one has 3 support legs on the back and I think it was used just the way it is, no cabinet. Has rheostats instead of Amperites on 2nd detector tube and what I think is the oscillator tube.

Oscillator coil (I guess, in the middle?) is partially disconnected with for some reason. Both audio transformers have open primaries.

Will be interesting to get working one day.

Jeff
(EDIT) I did get this one working. Replaced both audio transformers and put the oscillator coil back together and it works fine. A bit touchy to tune but once a station is found it plays really loud. Most stations only need one stage of amplification and on some even that is too loud; have to de-tune the station to get the volume down. The oscillator tube works best with very low filament voltage, about 4 volts. 14 Apr 18.

Attachment:
DSC02567.JPG
DSC02567.JPG [ 158.02 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

Attachment:
DSC02564.JPG
DSC02564.JPG [ 170.93 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

Attachment:
DSC02565.JPG
DSC02565.JPG [ 191.31 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]

Last edited by jrehkopf on Apr Sat 14, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 12:10 am 

I'm pretty sure it had a cabinet. The mounting holes around the front panel indicate the intent of having it mounted in a cabinet. The back chassis needs the support posts in order to keep it up whether it's in a cabinet or not.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 5:08 am 

This Melo Heald Eleven is one of my pickups this summer. I wish it had a cabinet, but even without one it is still a nice super to add to the collection.

Attachments:
IMAG3346.jpg
IMAG3346.jpg [ 74.76 KiB | Viewed 2584 times ]
IMAG3348.jpg
IMAG3348.jpg [ 107.89 KiB | Viewed 2584 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 9:29 am 

Easy to make rectangular cabinets but it wouldn't be original agreed. Think I would make a cover for them (Perspex?) to keep the dust out though.

Are these intended to be restored to playing again or just display items?

Both beautiful radios but Melo wins it by a head for me :)

Gary

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 3:00 pm 

Gary,

I restore them to working condition when I can, but only use period parts. If I don't find replacement parts I leave the radio as found. As far as building a new cabinet I don't want to do that.

More times than not I find 20s superhets without a cabinet. Since most are home built from kits or plans from magazine articles it is very likely that the builder never purchased or built a cabinet for the radio. Hopefully I will someday find stray cabinets for the ones that I have collected.

David

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 4:38 pm 

How about the RCA Radiola 60 (1929)? I have one I restored, and I use it with a Radiola 100A speaker. It was a royal PITA to get aligned properly, since you have to remove the big "bathtub" tuning unit from the chassis to get at the trimmer underneath it...

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 5:28 pm 

I don't think you should worry all that much about a cabinet. If I had that set, and I did have the chance to buy it but decided to pass on it, I would have taken it all apart right down to the individual nut and bolt, cleaned and polished everything and reassembled it to a showcase demo unit without a cabinet. I think your set can be fully appreciated as a stand alone chassis, it don't need no stinken cabinet. Just be super careful about polishing or cleaning the front panel as to not wipe away any of the stenciling.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 28, 2017 9:47 pm 

I have a Leutz model C and would like to add a model K antenna adapter. The likelihood of my finding a Leutz model K seems to be slim, so I'm looking at making a reproduction model K. I've found multiple useful photographs of the front panel and insides of the K, but the only schematics I've found have been photos of the original model C blueprint, on which the model K schematic is shown at the bottom near the left corner ... and these are too blurry to read. Would anyone with a copy of the original model C blueprint be willing to take a clear photo of the model K portion of that schematic for me? Thanks.
R/ John

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 3:13 am 

I purchased a set of Pink-A-Tone IF's that were new old stock and still in their boxes. Three of the four transformers were bad but I managed to fix them. Here is a picture of a Pink-A-Tone IF opened up for repair.

David W.

Attachments:
IF Repair.jpg
IF Repair.jpg [ 117.41 KiB | Viewed 2149 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 1:06 am 

Those Pink-A-Tone transformers are a great find! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 7:28 am 

I purchased a Tyrman 10 but kind of wish that I had not now. The panel may not cleanup, it is dull and worn. Transformers have some rust, there is a power switch where it should not be, no dial scales, and I think it should have had tube shields, but not sure what they would have done since the chassis and tube sockets are bakelite and the shields would not be grounded.

David W.

Attachments:
Tyrman.jpg
Tyrman.jpg [ 80.5 KiB | Viewed 1964 times ]
Tyrman_Dial.jpg
Tyrman_Dial.jpg [ 77.93 KiB | Viewed 1964 times ]
Tyrman 10.jpg
Tyrman 10.jpg [ 92.97 KiB | Viewed 1964 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1268 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 64  Next