Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 16, 2018 12:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grundig 960 "Classic" radio...ugh!
PostPosted: Aug Thu 05, 2010 5:26 am 

A customer that I recently repaired an Atwater Kent 60 for brought me in another radio for repairs.

A Grundig 960 "Classic" table radio... original cost about $200 currently on the market.
(google for more info)

What a bunch of CRAP!
I'm shocked that anyone would be tempted to purchase this chinese junk!

I opened it up to find a hotglued and fragile circuit board and cheap plastic and parts.... like those Crosley etc re-issues out there.

The thing's got a blown amp chip and sloppy wiring and goo on the board..... making this hunk of crap even more hard to fix.

The controls are tiny pieces of junk too, so are the speakers.

Grundig, you made a big mistake by putting your name on this junk.

I'll probably get frustrated with it enough tommorrow and call the dude up to haul it away from my shop.

UGH! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Thu 05, 2010 5:54 am 

Yes, the 960 repro is crap as I can personally attest. However, their earlier Heinzelmann repro was much, much better quality in every way.

Very handsome cabinet and surprisingly good sound, worlds better than the tinny 960 repro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Thu 05, 2010 6:10 am 

Scuz...........
Isn't Grundig still in business?
So how are knock-offs being produced and sold around the world?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Thu 05, 2010 7:45 am 

Johnnysan wrote:
Scuz...........

It's not a knockoff. It's a genuine Grundig product. It's basically a Chinese-made transistor radio that kinda-sorta looks like a '50s-era Grundig table radio.

You see them on eBay all the time. Here's one for sale: http://cgi.ebay.com/MINT-Grundig-960-An ... 1e5d70988f

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Thu 05, 2010 8:00 am 

I have one and its OK, a keeper, but not a real winner. I took some brasso and polished up the cabinet, Looks a lot better than the dull black.

I picked mine up free at a Ham fest.

You cannot get a schematic, I tried going to Grundig, and even Emailed them but they have no service company in California or sales office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Thu 05, 2010 8:22 am 

I've been seeing a lot of those pop up on eBay lately. I really don't get the reason for this; in my opinion, even the real mid-century German table radios were all very bland and generic looking. It's the SOUND that made them popular.

If you're going to make a cheap copy of something that's just for looks, at least make sure you're copying something that HAS looks to begin with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Thu 05, 2010 8:40 am 

Bizarre but true: The original had a bakelite cabinet; the repro is pressed wood with a black veneer. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Thu 05, 2010 12:46 pm 

I suppose price is everything, but it sure seems the "Repro" and "classic" radios even LOOK cheap. The very first repro radio I can recall was an imitation of the Philco -- either 70 or 90, whichever, but about 2/3 the size. Then out came a bunch of others.

There are a few that actually look original -- I have a Crosley that looks like a Zenith with Bakelite cabinet and pushbuttons vertically on the right side, and I use it. It's in the garage where it gets dusty and dirty and who cares because it's worthless -- but admittedly it looks nice and people comment on it. I have a Crosley ColoRadio in the kitchen (Real), and I have seen the imitations at swap meets; except for the FM dial markings, the tape player on the side, and that little plate at the bottom, it looks the same as mine. There are a few others that look fairly good. But it seems the vast majority, particularly the wood sets, have a very cheapish look to them. I'll take a real one over a repro any day, if just for the appearance and nothing else.

BUT -- and everybody, please realize this -- the fact that repros are popular in the first place is good for us. It means the general public is very interested in old radios. They may fear for safety and they have no idea of how to fix one, so they buy new sets that simply look old. There IS an underlying demand for these sets, and there's hope for us yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Thu 05, 2010 3:03 pm 

Gary Tayman wrote:
I suppose price is everything, but it sure seems the "Repro" and "classic" radios even LOOK cheap. The very first repro radio I can recall was an imitation of the Philco -- either 70 or 90, whichever, but about 2/3 the size. Then out came a bunch of others.

There are a few that actually look original -- I have a Crosley that looks like a Zenith with Bakelite cabinet and pushbuttons vertically on the right side, and I use it. It's in the garage where it gets dusty and dirty and who cares because it's worthless -- but admittedly it looks nice and people comment on it. I have a Crosley ColoRadio in the kitchen (Real), and I have seen the imitations at swap meets; except for the FM dial markings, the tape player on the side, and that little plate at the bottom, it looks the same as mine. There are a few others that look fairly good. But it seems the vast majority, particularly the wood sets, have a very cheapish look to them. I'll take a real one over a repro any day, if just for the appearance and nothing else.

BUT -- and everybody, please realize this -- the fact that repros are popular in the first place is good for us. It means the general public is very interested in old radios. They may fear for safety and they have no idea of how to fix one, so they buy new sets that simply look old. There IS an underlying demand for these sets, and there's hope for us yet.

And to that I add that the selling price of these hunks of crap are though the roof... no different than an e-bay seller's greedy pricing.

Indeed, if the demand for something like this is high enough, someone is getting rich off poor clueless suckers.

The Grundig I have currently on the bench looks like it had previous repairs and put back out for sale.

Someone gave me one of those chrome-plastic diner style radios, (Seeberg?) I used it to listen to the news.... it didn't last long and is now part of a landfill somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Thu 05, 2010 4:36 pm 

There must be a market for these because people keep buying them. I have a small collection of Novelty Radios that were advertising promotions. I knew that the radio portion was cheap junk but just wanted them for the product advertising. It always amazed me that people actually bought the few consoles that were produced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Thu 05, 2010 5:54 pm 
Silent Key

I think the last one I had was a beer can radio inside a can of Billy Beer. You all remember Billy Beer, now don't you all? He was the brother of Jimmy Carter. Billy Carter beer was on the market for a few years while his brother was president and as soon as he was out of office, the beer became extinct overnight.

I have no idea of what happened to the cheap radio that worked as good as could be expected with a name like that. With the antenna coil buried inside an aluminum beer can, what could you imagine it would work like?
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Sat 07, 2010 9:52 pm 

Aaron2 wrote:
Johnnysan wrote:
Scuz...........

It's not a knockoff. It's a genuine Grundig product. It's basically a Chinese-made transistor radio that kinda-sorta looks like a '50s-era Grundig table radio.

You see them on eBay all the time. Here's one for sale: http://cgi.ebay.com/MINT-Grundig-960-An ... 1e5d70988f

Aaron

Not sure what you mean by "Genuine Grundig". It's about as genuine as those Crosley knockoffs of Sparton blue mirror radios. They're genuine only in the sense that someone paid to license the name and put it on a very poor imitation of the original product. Max Grundig would be rolling over in his grave if he saw his name on that piece of garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Sun 08, 2010 4:33 am 

jmsent wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:
Johnnysan wrote:
Scuz...........

Aaron

Not sure what you mean by "Genuine Grundig". It's about as genuine as those Crosley knockoffs of Sparton blue mirror radios. They're genuine only in the sense that someone paid to license the name and put it on a very poor imitation of the original product. Max Grundig would be rolling over in his grave if he saw his name on that piece of garbage.

JM, I should post a photo of the guts, for laughs.
All I kept mumbling as I worked on it was.. "garbage... garbage!"

I couldn't wait to finish it up and get on to a Philco 40-185 to settle my nerves. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Sun 08, 2010 3:11 pm 

They got a pallet of these at a surplus store in Dallas. Buddy of mine picked it up for shortwave because he likes Radio Havana. Not a bad performer but selectivity seemed to be an issue. He listens to his in the garage ALL the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Sun 08, 2010 5:45 pm 

The original company started by Max Grundig has not been the same since Phillips took it over in the early 1970s. The name has changed hands a few more times since then.

Ken D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Sun 08, 2010 8:15 pm 

FWIW, these are not bad little radios if you get one cheap. I paid around $35.00 for mine brand new and she's not a bad performing little radio. No way would I pay the original list of $150.00 or so though!-Gearhead.

Post subject: Re: Grundig 960 "Classic" radio...ugh!
PostPosted: Nov Tue 11, 2014 8:08 pm 

I agree about the poor construction etc on these but it appears a classic problem is that the amplifier works but the am/fm will come on momentarily and then cut out. My boss found one of these at the dump and gave it to me so thought as a freebe it was worth fixing -- If it cost me little to nothing and I make $25 or $50 bucks -- great. I digress -- bottom line is that if you do find this issue in working on one of these -- check Q1 -- it is a NPN Chinese transistor and I found it to be temperature sensitive -- to me that indicates a bad bond or some other attachment in the transistor itself -- Hit it with some cold spray and on came the tuner section. Replaced it with a common 2n2222 -- working radio !! Hope this helps someone else

For what its worth

Griz

PostPosted: Nov Fri 14, 2014 9:13 pm 

Don´t compare Grundig with Grundig of today.
This crap bears a famous name which was only bought for his good reputation.
In fact it is insulting to his founder,the old firm (incl.Philips) and their devoted workers.

See this partial extract copied from wikipedia:

At the end of June 2000 the company relocated its headquarters in Fürth and Nuremberg. Grundig had a turnover of €1.281 billion the following year, but even so, lost €150 million. In autumn 2002, Grundig's banks did not extend the company's lines of credit, leaving the company with an April 2003 deadline to announce insolvency. Grundig AG declared bankruptcy in 2003, selling its satellite equipment division to Thomson. In 2004 Britain's Alba plc and the Turkish Koç's Beko jointly took over Grundig Home InterMedia System, Grundig's consumer electronics division. In 2007 Alba sold its half of the business to Beko for US$50.3 million,[6] although it retained the license to use the Grundig brand in the UK until 2010, and in Australasia until 2012.[7]

In the United States, products marketed under the Grundig brand are manufactured by the Eton Corporation (formerly Lextronix), based in Palo Alto, California. Spain's Grupo Vitelcom is licensed to manufacture mobile telephones using the Grundig Mobile brand, and auto parts company Delphi manufactures car radios branded Grundig.

Jard N.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 23, 2015 6:45 am 

My neighbor has asked that I take a look at his Grundig model 960 reproduction, and I must agree with the previous comments. The radio was manufactured in January 1999. It stopped receiving anything, according to the owner, about 2010, about 11 years after it was purchased. I powered up with a variac. Sometimes it blew a fuse on the variac, sometimes not. No noise, no reception. Opened it up. All the 2200 uF filter caps were leaking. Several other cans were shorted. There was no internal fuse or breaker I could find. The on-off switch simply broke the ground side of the 18VDC. That is, the power transformer was hot at all times, even with the radio turned off. Couldn't find a voltage regulator anywhere. Transformer put out 15VAC into the single board.

I replaced all the electrolytics in the radio - most were very leaky on testing. All diodes checked OK. All transistors checked OK with a diode tester. Resistors looked fine. Coils not open. Powered up - no change at all. Without a schematic, it could take days to figure this out. I think I'm done. Of note, I had already removed and checked Q1 and it appeared fine, though I guess I could change it out - wouldn't cost anything of significance. In fact, I have the replacement. But it still intermittently blows fuses on the variac. If I pull the 16 pin Toshiba TA2003P (AM, FM, SW), the guts of the radio, it won't blow fuses. But it's not worth $11 to pick up a couple of these, either, as there is no assurance replacing it would fix the problem. (Audio works fine and actually sounds amazingly good on those three speakers).

PostPosted: Jul Sat 07, 2018 6:36 am 

Thankfully I found mine at Goodwill for about 8 bucks. All the knobs felt terribly loose and I could get it to work once in a while, so I figured on dirty pots and switches - easy fix of course. When it worked it seemed to have a nice warm sound with some "tin" mixed in, and even inside Goodwill I could pick up some stations on both bands.

I get the thing home, removed the back and WOW - you guys are right, it's literally a board from a cheap transistor radio with that puny-ass tuning capacitor and the cheapest volume control you'll find anywhere. None of the knobs would come off, and I dared not try pulling on them any harder because they had a good 3/16 inch of play already.
Thankfully I was still able to spray the controls and the radio actually sounds borderline-decent and picks up pretty well also. The "rotary" band switch is just a linkage to a slide switch

And man - you talk about using an empty cabinet to make a tiny speaker sound better, that's what they did. But I like the old timey look and the "suggestion" of vintage sound, so I would pay 8 bucks for it again - but no more! The controls appear "proper" and work fine, but they feel like they're about to fall off. In my naivety I had no idea a Grundig product could possibly devolve to this point - it would be like Sony coming out with a TV camera that skipped every other frame to save processing power. And this radio was some $200 new? Geee-ZUS!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next