Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 23, 2018 5:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Unknown G-E console
PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 1:11 am 

Hello, all - I recently picked up the G-E shown below. The paper label on the cabinet has lost all of its top surface, and the metal label on the chassis is thoroughly rusted over. The tubes are: 2 27s, 4 24s, 2 45s, and an 80. Can someone ID it for me, so I can get the schematic? I also need a good photo of the correct knobs, and of the paper label and the metal label. Many thanks in advance. CharlesD

Attachments:
G-E Model    front , as found sm  .jpg
G-E Model front , as found sm .jpg [ 80.36 KiB | Viewed 916 times ]
G-E Model    rear , as found 2 sm .jpg
G-E Model rear , as found 2 sm .jpg [ 92.97 KiB | Viewed 916 times ]

Post subject: Re: Unknown G-E console
PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 1:17 am 

H31 C ?

http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=1325

Its cousin
http://radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=9498

Ken

PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 1:51 am 

Thanks, but yes, mine has only 3 knobs.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 1:58 am 

It is an H-31. Here is a picture that shows the knobs (click on the picture to enlarge it): http://blogs.creighton.edu/cjw84423/fil ... GP5806.jpg

BTW, I have an H-31 and his brother the H-51!

Here is my H-51 playing (recorded and uploaded by the previous owner): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghBpog7aMIE

GL,

Terry

PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 2:40 am 

There's one of the 4-knob versions for sale a little south of here. Pretty good picture of its knobs, too. The small one is interesting... Is that the correct knob?

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/for ... 42957.html

Attachments:
GE_H31.jpg.jpg
GE_H31.jpg.jpg [ 120.2 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 6:37 am 

The 4th knob may have been an optional tone control.

I don't know about the GE, but this was indeed the case with Zenith radios about the same time period as that GE.

Many 70 series Zeniths either had 2 knobs or 3 depending on whether the optional tone control was added or not.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 2:11 pm 

Here is a restoration thread on an H-31 that you might find helpful (clicking on any of the pictures will enlarge them): http://blogs.creighton.edu/cjw84423/201 ... tric-h-31/

GL,

Terry

PostPosted: Dec Thu 28, 2017 1:57 am 

Greetings all - I have almost finished the electrical restoration of my G-E H-31, and have two questions for the G-E experts.

1. The speaker surround is very stiff. Is this due to old age, or is it supposed to be that way? Should I have the surround replaced? Even so, it sounds reasonably good for being out of the cabinet.

2. There is no dial indicator for tuning. Should there be one? Accurate tuning seems impossible without one.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

CharlesD

Attachments:
G-E H-31 speaker surround as found sm  .jpg
G-E H-31 speaker surround as found sm .jpg [ 70.51 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]
G-E H-31 dial drum area as restored sm  .jpg
G-E H-31 dial drum area as restored sm .jpg [ 88.2 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Thu 28, 2017 3:05 am 

The H31/Radiola 80 I believe is supposed to have a translucent screen which the numbers are projected onto.
Similar to the earlier Radiola 44, 46 or 66.

The speaker surround is an animal hide such as chamois which will harden and become brittle.
If its not falling apart, you *might* be able to soften it with a leather conditioner.
I tried Lexol once, but it seemed to soften it at first, but it re-hardened later.

It can be replaced. I've done it a few times.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Dec Thu 28, 2017 3:09 am 

CharlesD wrote:
Greetings all - I have almost finished the electrical restoration of my G-E H-31, and have two questions for the G-E experts.

1. The speaker surround is very stiff. Is this due to old age, or is it supposed to be that way? Should I have the surround replaced? Even so, it sounds reasonably good for being out of the cabinet.

2. There is no dial indicator for tuning. Should there be one? Accurate tuning seems impossible without one.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

CharlesD

Charles,
How did you get your chassis so clean???

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 1:37 am 

Thanks for your replies.

azenithnut - There is no translucent screen with my set, neither on the chassis, nor in the cabinet, nor is there any indication there ever was one. I have since noticed that Radiodaze sells a "dial lens" (DS-D020) for the Radiola 80. I will either buy one or make one, and fit it in behind the dial strip, or at the bezel. This kind of project is a try it and see, learn, and go to the next problem type of situation.

JBL-1 - The chassis has been repainted. For cleaning, I used Rustoleum Rust Remover (I find it works better than Naval Jelly, it contains HCl as well as H3PO4) to remove most of the rust and some of the tarnish, filled imperfections with spackling, sanded, wiped with naptha, primed with spray can auto primer, and painted it with Rustoleum Metallic Matte Nickel from a spray can. I find the Rust Remover removes a lot of the tarnish best if left on only for a minute or so, otherwise it adds its own stain. I wish I had a magic formula for restoring an 80+ year old steel chassis to like it was originally.

Thanks again - CharlesD

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 1:55 am 

CharlesD wrote:
There is no translucent screen with my set, neither on the chassis, nor in the cabinet, nor is there any indication there ever was one.CharlesD

Here's a couple of examples of projected screen dials from a couple of RCA receivers.

Image Image

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 2:27 am 

Indiana Radios - Thanks for the photos; I have heard of these projection dials, but have never seen one. I probably will end up with something like your bottom photo, with the indicator screen up against the metal part of the bezel. Do these projection dials have any kind of projection lens, or is it merely the dial lamp shining through the dial strip and onto the dial indicator screen? (The photos I have seen (Internet) of the G-E H-31 and the Radiola 80 have a significant gap between the metal part of the bezel and the dial strip, which might make viewing the dial strip difficult.) My present thought is to have an indicator screen of clear plastic against the rear of the metal part of the bezel, with two opposing arrows ( > < ), as on the Radiodaze item, or merely a thin straight line to indicate the tuning, and also give a clear view of the dial strip with the dial lamp behind it.

CharlesD

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 2:47 am 

CharlesD wrote:
Do these projection dials have any kind of projection lens, or is it merely the dial lamp shining through the dial strip and onto the dial indicator screen?CharlesD

No lens, just a direct shadow from the dial itself straight onto the back of a frosted or opaque dial strip.

CharlesD wrote:
My present thought is to have an indicator screen of clear plastic against the rear of the metal part of the bezel, with two opposing arrows ( > < ), as on the Radiodaze item, or merely a thin straight line to indicate the tuning, and also give a clear view of the dial strip with the dial lamp behind it.

Bad present thought. A clear dial screen would cast bright light in your eyes and you'd have a really hard time seeing the projected dial scale. The dial screen MUST be either frosted or opaque in order the properly see the dial scale.

I'm not so sure if there was ever a tuning indicator of any kind for that dial. Here's the Westinghouse version showing what your dial would look like during operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx4wIHr1GNM

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 3:05 am 

Michael - Good thoughts, thank you. Looks like my best bet is to buy of the Radiodaze dial indicators and mount it behind and against the back of the bezel. CharlesD