Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 24, 2017 6:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Unknown AM-FM Console Chassis
PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 5:06 pm 

I have the chassis only and want to restore it. Does not look like it's been repaired before.
Tube complement is 5Y3, 2x6V6, 2x12AX7, 6AV6, 6AL5, 3x6BA6, 6X8. (Corrected - had '6K8' in error.)
I cannot find any identification on it as regards manufacturer or chassis number.
It appears to be high quality and well made.
The chassis has provision for a tape input and output. It also provides 110V for the phonograph.
It has a single speaker output so appears to be monophonic.
Would appreciate any assistance as to manufacturer, etc, that would help me run down a schematic.

Last edited by cliff52 on Sep Mon 18, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Unknown AM-FM Console Chassis
PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 7:03 pm 

Tube brands and transformer numbers may give a clue. And both likely have date codes. 6K8 sounds out of place with miniature tubes - perhaps a 6AK8? Or its pre 1950, the rest were out before then. Most used dual triodes like 12AT7 or the like for FM converter. 6BE6 and other early miniatures were pretty lousy at 100 MHz.

Post subject: Re: Unknown AM-FM Console Chassis 6K8
PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 10:23 pm 

Re the 6K8 - you are correct. It is a 6X8. Copied it wrong off the plywood I wrote it on.

I'd post a picture of the radio but I think I'm too new as a poster.

Transformers are 750503B-1 Power marked 'APX502' and 750503A-2 Output also marked 'APX502'.

So early 50s? .

With one exception, all are Capeheart tubes.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 11:19 pm 

A photo should instantly ID the brand name and manufacturer. Post a photo of it.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 19, 2017 12:24 am 

Here are three photos of the chassis I have.

I found a photo of an Capeheart Farnsworth RP154 console which looks a lot like my radio, but I'm still asking for suggestions.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 19, 2017 5:27 pm 

This is probably an obvious observation, but it looks like the 1955 Capehart Colortone AM/FM phono console I have, but mine has separate components, with the receiver appearing to be an add-on option, where the receiver mounts down inside the cabinet with the dial facing up and oriented fore to aft, next to the record changer, with a closing lid that went over that compartment.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 19, 2017 8:41 pm 

I've noted a number of Capeheart-Farnsworth consoles with similar appearing controls - On/Off-Volume, Bass/Treble, SS/Phono/AM/FM select, Tuning.

I obtained the Photofacts for the C-F RP-154B and found a 100% match on the tube complement. Had to buy it - there were discrepancies with everything I'd located online for free.

This one is labeled Photofacts Set 254, Folder 5 Date 10-54 "Capehart Models RP-154B, M, 11RP-125F (Ch. CR-129 & CA 135)" I found it on eBay and other online sources.

My radio has a couple of 12AX7's that are audio amplifiers and a phase inverter for 2 - push-pull 6V6GT's, this schematic being the first C-F I'd found with that arrangement. That said, I'm sure this chassis was used in other Capeheart-Farnsworth consoles.

The crazy thing is I got the radio working easily - the problem was a broken wire to the rod antenna for AM. I attached a makeshift wire antenna to the FM terminals and that works, too, although the FM volume is lower than AM - something to investigate.

I checked the power supply caps and output amp caps with an inexpensive Chinese component tester and with an ohmmeter and found no problems. There is no hum on the audio output. I do not have an ESR meter. There are a number of terrible looking wax capacitors begging to be changed but the set works as it is.

My speaker currently is an 8 ohm Radio Shack bookshelf. The sound is not room-filling but it is very clear.

I appreciate the assistance in identifying this set. In retrospect, I should have put this in Hardware Troubleshooting?

PostPosted: Sep Wed 20, 2017 12:08 am 

Transformer date codes say 750: Mosely Electronics, Overton MO, and 503 is 1955, week 03.

The 1955 chassis CA199 and CR200 match the tube numbers, Sams 294-4. Available from Radiomuseum.org - non-members can now get schematics (3 pages per day). And RP-154 appears to be the single-chassis version.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 20, 2017 5:03 am 

Re: info on radiomuseum.com

The CA-199 and CR-200 schematics and other info from the Radio Museum look identical to the RP-154 information I obtained. Fine Business!

except

The CA-199/CR-200 info includes a tape output off the cathode of the first 12AX7 audio amplifier which my RP-154 information does not. My radio has tape in and out so the radiomuseum schematics are the better of the two.

Thanks for the information on this.