Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 17, 2018 7:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: '34 Grunow 660
PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2015 2:36 pm 

I recently purchased this nicely refinished and restored 1934 Grunow 660 tombstone radio. I've been wanted to add a Grunow to the collection for 30 years and finally have one! They made some really attractive sets

Last edited by decojoe67 on May Fri 08, 2015 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: '34 Grunow 660
PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2015 2:45 pm 

Nice one there Joe. A beauty!

PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2015 2:58 pm 

jimzinnc wrote:
Nice one there Joe. A beauty!

Thanks Jim. I think we have the same tastes in old radios. You can't beat those mid-late '30's deco sets. This tombstone Grunow has a very typical layout, but the fluting and that chevron veneer piece at top front center have made this one a favorite of mine for years. I'd like to know who did the refinishing to this set. I usually pass on refinished sets, but this one is truley superbly done - and I got it very reasonable!

PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2015 3:07 pm 

That is one nice radio.As you said it was refinished nice .

PostPosted: May Wed 06, 2015 12:27 am 

Congratulations, Joe!

The cabinet, as well as the various inlays and trim pieces, shows perfect toning skill. The grain geometry and contrasts are well-accentuated. The replacement cloth is also very close to the pattern of the original. Someone spent time researching the set's factory look before going to work on it, with great results.

I've had one of these for over 10 years now, and it required just an electrical restoration. That worked for me, since I'm not much of a cabinet finisher. The layout is simple and wide-open, IF cans can be easily disassembled for capacitor replacement, and the aluminum chassis doesn't oxidize easily. For years it was my daily player for shortwave, until the power transformer HV winding shorted to the case.

That seems to be a weak point with this model, and the slightly more complex Grunow 670. I've seen lots of photos of these over the years with a replacement power transformer hacked into place. I was able to take the core from a Philco model 60 transformer in my parts pile and install it into the original Grunow transformer end bells...looks like it belongs there. That Philco transformer supplies the radio's needs well. Still, I don't use it so much these days.

You may be well-served to use an interface between the AC outlet and the radio to drop the line voltage to 110 at the transformer primary, to preserve the function of this attractive set.

Oh, one last thing...the tuning control directly under the airplane dial should be the largest knob; the other three are the same smaller size.

Take care,

-O.B.

PostPosted: May Wed 06, 2015 1:34 am 

Old Buzzard wrote:
Congratulations, Joe!

The cabinet, as well as the various inlays and trim pieces, shows perfect toning skill. The grain geometry and contrasts are well-accentuated. The replacement cloth is also very close to the pattern of the original. Someone spent time researching the set's factory look before going to work on it, with great results.

I've had one of these for over 10 years now, and it required just an electrical restoration. That worked for me, since I'm not much of a cabinet finisher. The layout is simple and wide-open, IF cans can be easily disassembled for capacitor replacement, and the aluminum chassis doesn't oxidize easily. For years it was my daily player for shortwave, until the power transformer HV winding shorted to the case.

That seems to be a weak point with this model, and the slightly more complex Grunow 670. I've seen lots of photos of these over the years with a replacement power transformer hacked into place. I was able to take the core from a Philco model 60 transformer in my parts pile and install it into the original Grunow transformer end bells...looks like it belongs there. That Philco transformer supplies the radio's needs well. Still, I don't use it so much these days.

You may be well-served to use an interface between the AC outlet and the radio to drop the line voltage to 110 at the transformer primary, to preserve the function of this attractive set.

Oh, one last thing...the tuning control directly under the airplane dial should be the largest knob; the other three are the same smaller size.

Take care,

-O.B.

Thank you very much for all that great information! I've always liked '30's tombstones and for years found the Grunow 660 appealing. It's a very tasteful art-deco designed cabinet with nice proportions. I'm still marveling at the refinish. The work could not have been done to higher degree. I must say that the performance is just adequate, even though the chassis is restored and as nice as the cabinet, with the original power transformer. I was hoping it would be one of those sets with a rich tone, but it's actually rather unimpressive. I have a set-up where I slowly power-up all my sets with a Variac to 110-115 max. It's worth it to help protect these great old sets. I did this when I was told by an old-time repairman that he was seeing a lot of power transformers going bad these days. By the way, I did finally realize that the knobs were misplaced and corrected that.

PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2015 1:20 am 

Beautiful radio; I like it!

PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2015 1:49 am 

wrnewton wrote:
Beautiful radio; I like it!

Thank you Reece. I was real happy to acquire this one. The clean deco styling is very appealing.