Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 15, 2017 1:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sonora 88S Radio
PostPosted: Apr Wed 25, 2012 2:00 am 

I have acquired a Sonora Model 88S antique radio from my wife's family. It was her great-grandmother's radio. From my best guess it is circa 1930's but I'm having a really hard time finding any information. I would really like to restore the radio to the original condition if possible. Any idea where i can find some information or schematics on rebuilding the board and receiver?

Album: http://ruggedshutter.blogspot.com/p/son ... radio.html

Post subject: Re: Sonora 88S Radio
PostPosted: Apr Wed 25, 2012 2:55 am 

A nice looking radio. Unless your a master woodworker or know one, the cabinet is the biggest challenge. Electronics, well, the speaker appears to be the next challenge.
Should look really great if done right.
Jerry

PostPosted: Apr Wed 25, 2012 5:23 am 

Wow! Looks like a beauitful cabinet but I bet it weights alot!!! Yikes!!

Lynn

PostPosted: Apr Wed 25, 2012 12:22 pm 

Thanks, yeah it's pretty hefty. I used an extension cord last night to see if it would even power up but I didn't get anything out of it. I do have my work cut out for me with the wood work. I'm pretty sure that I can get the bottom rails fixed with some dowel rods and wood glue and a lot of sanding. There are nicks and dings all over it so it should be a lot of fun restoring. I can't wait to see my father in-law's face when it's finished though.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 25, 2012 2:00 pm 

Looks like you are missing about 5 tubes, maybe a knob and the dial escutcheon (which will be hard to find). The speaker can be reconed if the coils are in good shape.

BTW, don't plug it in again until it has the capacitors replaced, or you could do a lot of damage.

That model number is a bit odd, as most Sonoras begin with a letter, not a number.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 26, 2012 12:07 pm 

Yup, there are 5 tubes missing, which is why I was hoping to find a schematic to know exactly which tubes that I needed. I haven't been able to find any photos online to even know what the original escutcheon looked like so that one will prove to be difficult. The knobs have some patterns in them so I will have to find another original knob. As for the speaker, I figured that I would more than likely replace it.

Don't worry, I won't be plugging it in until the board is on my work bench and fully reassembled. :)

I was wondering about the model number or if I was even close on the era that this was built in. I haven't been able to find any details about this model anywhere.