Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 31, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Silvertone "green dialer" question
PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2012 6:32 pm 

I'm curious - were the knobs on the 1936 Silvertone green dial sets ever labeled as to function? I know that on the different models that used the green dial, the function could vary drastically. On my Model 1970A, the knobs are:

volume (upper left)
tone (lower left)
tuning (middle)
power on/off (upper right)
band switch (lower right)

None of the knobs is actually labeled - I had to figure it out myself as to what did what (I was surprised that the power switch was separate from the volume control; I had to replace it because the original was FUBAR when I got it). There is also no trace of any decals on the cabinet, but the cabinet is in rough shape anyway (I think it got stored someplace damp - lots of delamination that I have been busy repairing). I know that some "green dialers" had a coupling control where my power switch is (for sensitivity vs. selectivity, I believe).

The inside top of my cabinet has a space that looks like it might once have contained an owner's manual. How hard it it to obtain copies of owner's manuals for these sets? I can't see a set being sold at that time without a manual, and leaving the new owner to figure it out himself...

Post subject: Re: Silvertone "green dialer" question
PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2012 8:09 pm 

on mine the functions were on the edge of the base of the knobs. Knobs were wood and the functions were stamped in the a gold colored highlight...
down where the base sets on the face of the radio. You can see the functions while staning at the radio and looking down at the knobs from above. Yours may be worn off or something like that but thats where they are supposed to be.

~jeff~

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2012 8:40 pm 

Jeff , I never even noticed that . Good Info :D

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2012 9:46 pm 

Most all Silvertone radios after 1935 have "functionized knobs" This makes them very hard to match up as they also begin coming in a few different sizes beginning with the 1937 year line.
Sane with Wards Airline and Truetone radios, made by Wells-Gardner.
Mark Oppat
http://www.oldradioparts.net

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2012 9:58 pm 

Not a trace of anything of that nature on my knobs, unfortunately. One knob, however, looks like it has some sort of arrow or pointer cut into the rim. Looks too neatly done to be a chip, plus there looks to be a trace of gold paint at the bottom of the "arrow" There is only one knob that has that and I am wondering if that was for the power switch (the knobs were detached when I got the set, and the one for the tuning shaft was missing).

What's a good way to clean wooden knobs, anyway? I assume water is a bad idea due to the risk of swelling and splitting, but my knobs are pretty grimy...

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2012 10:03 pm 

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2012 10:18 pm 

How about Murphy's Oil Soap? I have that around the house already...

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2012 10:21 pm 

yep :D ... it also works for me .

PostPosted: Apr Wed 25, 2012 8:02 pm 

Hello, Rich: your upper right knob should be marked "on__off" at the bottom of the knob just above the base. Your bandswitch knob should be marked "B A C" to correspond with the three bands. (Note that the A, B, and C are in non alpha order on the 1930/40/70 sets, unlike all other similar five-knob green dial sets).
Your volume knob should be marked "volume" and your tone knob should have "tone." The tuning knob is larger than the other four knobs, and has no embossing.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 25, 2012 10:07 pm 

Well, as I said, the only marking on any of my knobs (other than the embossing) is one knob has a small arrow in the edge of the rim that has the remains of gold paint in it. Any idea where that one was supposed to go? The rest have absolutely no trace of any markings on them. Are there any photos available of ones that still have their lettering intact?