Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 22, 2014 1:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bendix 0526E
PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2012 1:46 am 

Hi all,
I just got this little Bendix today. It has a few flaws but really, a quick refinish and it will be perfect. It is all original inside however there is some evidence of past work done but a long time ago. Anyway, the unit fires up and pulls in stations fairly well. I have 2 questions. One, right after turning this on, the dial light dims. Not sure what that is but I am sure its not good, LOL. Question 2, what is the deal with the
"police" designation? I keep looking for a switch or some other way to make it receive the "police". Thanks for any info.

Attachments:
bendix (800x600).jpg
bendix (800x600).jpg [ 249.14 KiB | Viewed 329 times ]

Post subject: Re: Bendix 0526E
PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2012 1:52 am 

Back then, the AM band went to 1500 KHz, From 1500-1700 KHz was a "Police" band.

Quite often these series string All American Fives would come on with the dial light first bright as the power surges through the low resistance cold heaters, then the dial light dims. It soon brightens up as the radio starts pulling current once the tubes are warmed up.

Its normal.

EDIT: Hard to tell in that picture, but the finish looks good. Try cleaning it up with some Gojo, Goop or DL automotive type white creamy hand cleaner. (NOT the gritty pumice stuff)
You might be amazed.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2012 2:35 am 

Thanks for the info. The finish is actually quite nice. I am content with it in general. I did some cleaning on it but will try the suggestions for sure.

PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2012 4:58 am 

Be especially gentile cleaning the knobs on this one. They are made of some oddball plastic that gets brittle, distorts and will dissolve just from a long stare! That is a nice radio, though. I have one on the sideboard in the kitchen that I listen to almost daily. Above comments are dead on accurate as to light action, "police band", and cleaning. Once cleaned, a good hard waxing should be all it needs.

PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2012 1:07 pm 

Nice sets. I got 2 of them.
You might find an asbestos sheet between the chassis and the case so don't blow it out with compressed air..