Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 21, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Question re 1964-1969 Zenith Consoles & Value
PostPosted: Jun Thu 07, 2012 2:35 pm 

Howdy. New here looking to complete a mid century modern study with a vintage stereo console. I've seen the following models listed (which all appear to be nearly identical except for year). Can someone help me determine the difference between them?

ML2670
MM2670
MN2670
MNT2670
X960
Y960
YT960
Z960

I am pretty sure the ML = 64, MM = 65 and MN = 66. X = 67. Y = 68 and Z = 69. T denotes R2R.

I've hard that the 2670 is the same as the 960s. But other than that one random statement, cannot determine whether there were any differences in this console from 1964-1969.

Can anyone let me know how this console changed during those years?

Also, what is a reasonable value for one of these? How about in average condition? Mint condition (cabinet only)? Restored working condition? (stereo only)? Mint (cabinet and restored stereo)?

I ask because I've been searching and haven't seen actual prices on them. I've seen people asking $1500 for a mint cabinet (not restored stereo) which seems high.

Thanks

Robert

Oh, and if you have one you're willing to part with (or know someone who does) please contact me.

Post subject: Re: Question re 1964-1969 Zenith Consoles & Value
PostPosted: Jun Thu 07, 2012 5:36 pm 

Go to Craigslist and type in Radio,
Then under category, "Furniture"
You will find plenty in your area,
No reason in the word why you would need to spend over $100 for a near perfect one, Both cosmetically and mechanically.
Peter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Take a look here,
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/search ... &maxAsk=Th
The second one down, While not a Zenith has a great modern look and I bet it could be gotten for $50 in about 2 weeks from now.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 07, 2012 5:53 pm 

Its a buyers market, i collect them and i can pick what i want, as already said you shouldnt pay more $100 for an immaculate one, probably a lot less.
The one you mentioned for $1500 is not going anywhere anytime soon, that price is a joke.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 07, 2012 10:01 pm 

Unfortunately, they're not common in Nashville. I've searched CL w/i 250 miles or so, and am not finding them. I'll keep at it, though.

But in the interim, anyone know any differences from 1964-1969?

Thanks

Robert

PostPosted: Jun Thu 07, 2012 10:11 pm 

1964 it will likely be a tubed amp move towards 1969 its more likely to be solid state.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 07, 2012 10:57 pm 

Zenith may not have been as big of a seller as Magnavox was in living room stereo consoles. I see quite a few Magnavoxs for sale in and around the Nashville area. Asking prices vary from bargains to expensive but the real value of these stereo systems is in what they actually sell for, if they even sell at all. Zenith, Magnavox, RCA, Sylvania, Montgomery Wards, LLoyds, their all about the same and the resale market is flooded with them nation wide so the value on there giant stereo systems is very low, basically in the low double digit range. 99% of all of the stereo consoles out there, you'd have to pay me to haul them away, Zenith included. There's a couple of classy Packard Bells and Curtis Mathes systems I wouldn't mind having but the rest, forget it.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 09, 2012 6:44 pm 

I have to disagree with you guys somewhat. You are talking about consoles in general, which are
generally easy to find and cheap. This model was Zeniths top of the line and expensive, $1,600
with tape deck and not that easy to find. I searched continuously for over ten years to aquire
my Y960. Zenith offered this in four other cabinet styles that are somewhat easier to locate.
I have owned a couple dozen other top of the line models, tube & solid state, Magnavox, Fisher,
RCA, Scott, VM and so on, and these are the best. One of the few console models to have
a resonably transparent and natural sound with a a proper spoundstage. No, it is not near
as good as my $25,000 tube component sytem, but is closer than you might think and far
better than most other consoles including the lauded Fisher president.
Be aware that Zenith offered this style cabinet in their lower priced models, but they don't compare. An easy way to identify at a glance is the top models had four louvers over the speaker
rather than three.

All the models you list were the top line models and look similar but there were differences.
They all thru 1969 featured the belt drive changer, the earlier models had a wider micro touch
tonearm and beginning in 1965 used a slim chrome micro touch arm.

The very first model was from 1963 I believe, it had a large separate solid state amplifier with
a solid state preamp and tube tuner. It had 12" woofers, horn midrange and four cone tweeters
coaxially mounted in an open backed cabinet.
The 1964 model changed to 15" woofers with the same horns and tweeters, the amplifier was
changed slightly and was now rated at a higher wattage output.

The X model came out in 1966 and was the first all solid state model, and featured a sealed air
suspension speaker system now using 15" Jensen Flex Air woofers with the same horn and tweeter compliment, this was dramatic improvment in accuracy. the Y and Z of mid 67 thru
69 also featured this and these models now had had silicone tranistors replacing the noisy
germaniums in the previous models.

The Wollensak built reel to reel was available from 64 thru 69, 8 track tape player became
an option in 1967 and a choice of 8 track or cassette players became an option in 1968.

The control panels thru 1966 looked similar with pushbuttons for function control and three
tone controls, Bass, Treble and Presence. One of the buttons thru 1965 was called extended
stereo, when used with external speaker, this used the main console for the bass frequencies
and the mid and treble were handled by the external speakers.
This was dropped in 1966 and that button was now called extended bass. This was a switchable
loudness control or bass boost.

The Y and Z had a restyled control panel with chrome or silver buttons and a moving color film
strip for each control to show position instead of the tone light color dots on the previous panels.
The three tone controls were now Bass, Treble and Contour. The contour control boosted treble
as well as midrange and when used with the extended bass, became a variable loudness compensation.

Zenith continued making similar consoles thru 1975 but the cheapening began in 1970, The wonderful belt drive changer was replaced with a Garrard idler drive and in 1972 replaced again
with a VM idler drive. The cabinets now contained some particle board, the prices were lower
on these as well. The sealed speaker system was used thru 1972 but crossover points were changed, bass was extended an octive, but the tonal balance suffered. This was replaced
with the ported Allegro speaker system.
It is interesting to note that the large separate hand wired amplifier was essentially the same
alll the way thru 1975.

the Y and Z models are the ones of choice, the most refinement and best sound. There are
very few other consoles that have the natural sound of these models. The 1968 tv ads
for these promoted them as Zenith Natural Sound Stereo.

Thery aren't really worth that much but these models are hard to find. I do know of two,
both Y960T, that sold for a high price, one in Los Angeles for $1,200 and another near me in
Tampa that sold for $900.00. Doesn't mean they are worth that, but to the right buyer who
wants it, it happens. I think part of it is the styling now that it has become fashionable.

For me, Iwanted one for so long (since I saw and heard my aunts Y962 in december of 1967, she
is still using it), I was prepared to pay $500.00 total for one I found on Craiglist in another state,
200 for console and 300 to ship. As it happens, right before I committed, my Y960 fell into my
lap for free, 36 hours before it was scheduled to be picked up by the trashmen. I recapped it and
modified to use an Ortofon Magnetic cartridge. I will never give it up.

I have much of the promotional and dealer material for these models and even have the animated
lighted store display sign for them. It is notable that these models were displayed and demonstrated in a separate room with soft lighting and living room type furnishings and decor
at Zenith dealers. I remember these displays at three different Zenith dealers bakc in thelate
60's. They were not displayed with the lower priced models.

I know I have rambled on but hope I have answered some of your questions and wish you luck
in your search. Maybe someone on this forum that thinks THIS model is on every corner
will find one for you.

The 50's Orthophics that everyone is always raving about and trying to find over in the phonograph forum, I cannot count how many of those I saw (including the coveted Mark1)
and could be had for under ten dollars or free as little as ten years ago. Something to think aobut.

Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB

PostPosted: Jun Sat 09, 2012 8:03 pm 

Robert check under Electronics and general and furniture.Isee them there from time to time.Keep looking .Ihave a Zenith 1958 4 speaker mono AM/FM it sounds sweet.Sprman

PostPosted: Jun Mon 11, 2012 10:44 am 

I think you guys are missing the question. Robert was asking about a specific lline of consoles,
not just any old 60's console.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 11, 2012 11:20 pm 

Thanks Orthophonic. That is EXACTLY the information I needed to help me further narrow down my search list. And yes, I am now officially looking for a Y960 or a Z960. I would also consider a X960.

If anyone spots one, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks

Robert

PostPosted: Jun Tue 12, 2012 3:17 am 

Be aware that while the X sounds as good as the Y and Z and has the sealed speaker system, it
is prone to being a bit noisy (background hiss) due to the Germanium Transistors now that they
are old.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 12, 2012 2:40 pm 

In many cases NTE has germanium replacements but check for excessive leakage before installing.

Carl