Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 25, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Magnavox Georgian Series 151 model 1488 style c104-237
PostPosted: Jun Sun 10, 2012 7:50 pm 

Hi, my name is Marie, I have had this phonograph since it was given to my by my Aunt in 1989, who got it from her Aunt. I have been reading on the forum that in order to give an approximate idea of what it is worth you would need to see pictures.

I am not an avid collector, but I do like this piece, so I am not sure I would sell it. Last time I plugged it in it worked, even though the ozone was really strong. I have all the pieces, call letter sticker extra parts...each of which I have taken pictures of and hopefully compressed them small enough to be ok to post. I was reading other posts where members said pictures were the most help in evaluating the piece. I have a few I am uploading, but if someone wants more detail, I have close ups of all the paperwork, stickers, tubes and so on. I just didn't want to over do it on my first post.

Thanks for having this forum available!
:)

Attachments:
IMAG0199.jpg
IMAG0199.jpg [ 29.96 KiB | Viewed 379 times ]
IMAG0193.jpg
IMAG0193.jpg [ 38.75 KiB | Viewed 379 times ]
IMAG0188.jpg
IMAG0188.jpg [ 35.32 KiB | Viewed 379 times ]
IMAG0185.jpg
IMAG0185.jpg [ 34.09 KiB | Viewed 379 times ]
IMAG0184.jpg
IMAG0184.jpg [ 30.15 KiB | Viewed 379 times ]

Post subject: Re: Magnavox Georgian Series 151 model 1488 style c104-237
PostPosted: Jun Sun 10, 2012 10:34 pm 

Marie, you've got to be one of the smartest first timers I've ever seen here. You actually took the time to research what is needed to post a successful first time posting here and it turned out just fine. So many times a newcomer will merely say that he/she has a radio and want's to know how much it's worth without stating what brand name it is, what model it is, no photos, photos so huge that it takes up 300% of the screen so that you have to scroll over to the right just to see it all, etc., but you consciously tried to do it right the first time. I am impressed!!! If only we had more newcomers like you.

Now, about the Magnavox. Here's my take on it. That series of Magnavox is probably the second most popular type of radio that is brought up by newcomers, like you, who come to ARF asking about more info on it including it's value. The most common radio asked about is probably the Magnavox living room stereo systems of the 1960s/1970s. The 151 series isn't all that rare. A lot of them were sold back in the late 1940s and early 1950s and many of them still survive today. There's no real big rush of collectors looking for these Magnavoxes but if one does show up at a fair enough price, a number of collectors will buy them. Generally the ACTUAL selling prices of these sets are in the mid to low double digit numbers as I've seen it. There is a higher series of Magnavox that has two chassis and multiple speakers and they command considerably more money but your model is a more common single chassis, single speaker, mid priced model. The added FM does make it a little nicer then the standard AM/SW models.

The radio is fairly easy to restore and bring up to original factory specs but the phonograph may be a little harder. You will have rubber gears that have lost their grip and shape, the crystal cartridge may need to be rebuilt, and that alone will cost you more then what you may ever be able to sell it. If you like it enough, and it doesn't take up much room, you might just hold on to it and restore it to use for years to come. That's my $0.02 worth and I'm sure others will chime in with varying ideas and opinions.

Post subject: Re: Magnavox Georgian Series 151 model 1488 style c104-237
PostPosted: Jun Mon 11, 2012 12:53 am 

Thank you so much for your kind words in your reply!

I used to have much more spare time and I was very active on a few watch forums...Anything good about my forum etiquette I have I learned from some really great people over at Rolex Forums. :wink:

Finding more about my Magnavox has been on my list of things to do for a number of years, and I am glad to have some insight on it now. Thank you. I was not necessarily looking to sell it, but it really surprised me how little could Google about it. Friends who have seen it over the years and asked what it is, (other than a glorified lamp table) and once I opened it up for them to see, have been impressed with the condition... that it has all the original parts and and still works...but more they have seemed impressed that I have all but one of the original station call stickers, accompanying paperwork, spare pieces and every original piece that I am aware of.

I have only turned it on a few times over the years, mostly after it has been moved to make sure it still worked. Other than that, I don't keep it plugged to protect it from a power surge. In this day and age where we we live in a disposable society that necessitates people asking if we want an extended warranty on everything, it truly does amaze me that I own something that was built in the 40's and has all the original parts and it actually does works! That alone is why I will keep it, even if it is only holding a nice lamp. *gasp*

I appreciate your information and I will continue to hold onto the piece in all it's original beauty...with a nice lamp on it :oops:

If there are any other pictures you would like to see of the Magnavox let me know.

Thanks again :)