Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 01, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Sylvania Console
PostPosted: Jun Wed 20, 2012 3:08 pm 

Hello, I am new here and have an issue with an old Sylvania Console stereo. It worked fine until I left it on for a couple days straight. Now it won't turn on. I hit reset and it makes a faint electronic sound and kicks right off. Any Ideas what I may need to do to get this up and running again?

Thanks!

Tim

Post subject: Re: Old Sylvania Console
PostPosted: Jun Wed 20, 2012 3:28 pm 

Yes, find a local and reputable repairman, since this unit obviously was used without having it restored first.
And hope that now your wallet won't be too emptied because of this. :roll:

PostPosted: Jun Wed 20, 2012 4:43 pm 

Is this a solid state or vacuum tube console?

If solid state you may just need to replace the electrolytic capacitors. If it is vacuum tube then the electrolytic caps will need to be replaced, but other more major stuff may now be wrong.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 20, 2012 5:55 pm 

good thing that you have a circuit breaker. that may have saved it. kicks OFF right away now. you have a serious high current issue that is not supposed to be there. something is shorted. unless you know how to fix it its toast. no longer useful without major repair. shop around for an electronics service center or pull the chassis and look at the power supply. its shot. caputnic. toast. burnt toast

PostPosted: Jun Wed 20, 2012 6:25 pm 

Sounds like this thing is going to the curb on trash day.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 20, 2012 6:38 pm 

Don't throw it to the curb. If you want to learn to fix the console yourself we will be glad to help you.

Where are you loacted? maybe there is an ARF member near who would either restore it or show you how to do it.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 20, 2012 6:42 pm 

It could be something simple, don't give up yet.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 1:36 am 

gary rabbitt wrote:
It could be something simple, don't give up yet.

If it's poppin' the circuit breaker, it's more than past due for service - major service.

I tell people all the time, these things should be restored properly before using them, but so many people just plug-n-play 'em and then this stuff happens.

I wonder how many people use an old car they bought without having service done on it?

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 4:09 am 

RepairTech wrote:

If it's poppin' the circuit breaker, it's more than past due for service - major service.

Depends on if the console is solid state or vacuum tube operated. A solid state console will be harder to repair if just replacing the electrolytic capacitors doesn't fix it. A vacuum tube operated console will require at least the electrolytic capacitors replaced along with any capacitor that is not a ceramic disc or mica capacitor. Both will almost surely require a realignment of the AM and FM tuner for best performance.

If the op doesn't feel confident enough to fix the console he can either pay someone to fix it or if he is willing to learn we can guide him each step of the way.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 4:53 am 

From the description I'd guess it's a solid state unit with a burnt output transformer.

It's probably not worth paying anyone to fix, so you can either take the time to let folks here guide you through the repair, or just scrap it.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 5:03 am 

I was thinking along the lines of a loose wire hanging someplace, and causing a short.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 5:09 am 

Tube Radio wrote:
RepairTech wrote:

Depends on if the console is solid state or vacuum tube operated. A solid state console will be harder to repair if just replacing the electrolytic capacitors doesn't fix it. A vacuum tube operated console will require at least the electrolytic capacitors replaced along with any capacitor that is not a ceramic disc or mica capacitor. Both will almost surely require a realignment of the AM and FM tuner for best performance.

If the op doesn't feel confident enough to fix the console he can either pay someone to fix it or if he is willing to learn we can guide him each step of the way.

In my experience, circuit breakers were used on TUBE equipment.
Fuses became the norm with the advent of solid state stuff.
But we don't know - the OP never posted details, so we're at a loss with just a vague description.

Like:
A customer called into the shop once, asking about a tv repair.....
Our counterman asked what kind of television set was it.....?
The customer's reply: "Oh, it's brown and white".
DUH! :wink:

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 12:59 pm 

RepairTech wrote:
Tube Radio wrote:
RepairTech wrote:

In my experience, circuit breakers were used on TUBE equipment.
Fuses became the norm with the advent of solid state stuff.
But we don't know - the OP never posted details, so we're at a loss with just a vague description.

Like:
A customer called into the shop once, asking about a tv repair.....
Our counterman asked what kind of television set was it.....?
The customer's reply: "Oh, it's brown and white".
DUH! :wink:

I have seen a circuit breaker used on a solid state device before. Is in a couple Bogen PA amps I have.

Without seeing pictures of the Sylvania console the OP has it is not possible to determine if the console is even worth fixing or not.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 3:51 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:

I have seen a circuit breaker used on a solid state device before. Is in a couple Bogen PA amps I have.

Without seeing pictures of the Sylvania console the OP has it is not possible to determine if the console is even worth fixing or not.

I'm willing to bet this is a tube console. :wink:

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 4:12 pm 

Could be.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 4:46 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
Could be.

Most likely.
Sylvania used breakers in their tube consoles - I never saw them in SS units.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 5:19 pm 

All the more reason to restore the console. I would be willing to bet the power transformer is now bad.

That said the op didn't post whether the console had been previously restored or not.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 5:56 pm 

Why is everyone assuming the transformer is toast? Isn't the circuit breaker there to prevent that?

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 6:05 pm 

hey Tim. dont toss it out. pull the chassis. look for burnt components topside and inderneath. do the smell test especially the transformers. may be two output transformers if it is stereo. I am sure this console could be salvageable if you want it. something toast can be fixt

Last edited by tubeAMP on Jun Thu 21, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 6:06 pm 

That's true, but if this console has a record changer the breaker would have to account for the motor load too and if the filter caps were shot it could cause the transformer to draw just enough current to destroy itself without the breaker tripping until the transformer is bad enough to draw too much current. Also breakers usually don't trip as fast as fuses do.

Reason I suspect the transformer is because the op said he can push the reset and it trips rather quickly after that. If it were an excess load on the B+ it would only trip after the rectifier warms up. It is possible that there is a short though.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 33 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2  Next