Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 21, 2018 9:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco Radio Bar Storage Hunters True Tv
PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2012 3:15 am 

tonight on true tv's "storage hunters" there was a locker with a Philco Radio Bar. also in the unit was antique furniture and an old chevy truck bed converted into a bar.

"Jesse" won the bin for something like 3500 bucks. Jesse said the Philco Radio Bar was worth 1,500 bucks.

is he correct ?

steve

Post subject: Re: Philco Radio Bar Storage Hunters True Tv
PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2012 3:27 am 

Depends. Was it empty? The glassware is a significant percentage of its value. Even a beater set with all the glassware is worth a few hundred, more if you can break it up between people who are desperate for certain pieces.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2012 4:09 am 

when they opened it up, there was glassware in it. i have no idea if it was the real stuf.

steve

PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2012 5:45 am 

I saw the last couple of seconds of that segment showing the radiobar. It did have glass, but I couldn't tell if it was original. I hate the show, but I will try and watch the rerun.

Some complain that Storage Wars is so fake, but this Storage Hunters takes the cake.A total setup. I would guess the radio bar was rented from a collector to be put in the unit... In any event...
The value of the radio bar (with original glassware) I would think would be well over the $1500.
The set had the same dial as the one here. (Courtest of Radioattic.com)

PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2012 2:16 pm 
Inactive

Nothing but reality shows, all prearranged for viewer amazement. Would be dull if all they ever found was old bottles and car plates. More of these shows appear each month, whether it be gold dredging, digging in the earth for Jesse James bank loot or pawn items which laughing Rich always knows the history of every item. The worst shows are the towing wars, quite a bunch of misfits. JMO
Brandi on Storage wars even has a double which they use the backside for some of the climbing in container scenes.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 20, 2012 6:17 pm 

hoffies too wrote:
Nothing but reality shows, all prearranged for viewer amazement. Would be dull if all they ever found was old bottles and car plates. More of these shows appear each month, whether it be gold dredging, digging in the earth for Jesse James bank loot or pawn items which laughing Rich always knows the history of every item. The worst shows are the towing wars, quite a bunch of misfits. JMO
Brandi on Storage wars even has a double which they use the backside for some of the climbing in container scenes.

Yeah, with all these shows (Pawn Stars, American Pickers, American restoration, et al) they are scripted with multiple camera angles, cuts and shots. Nothing is continuous and everyone knows what they are going to do and say before filming.

It's all an act.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Aug Tue 21, 2012 4:13 am 

totally agree on the 'showbiz' of it all.

i was passing thru the channels and just as he won the unit and the camera panned, i saw the philco radio bar.

all of those shows are set up for ratings.

steve

PostPosted: Aug Thu 23, 2012 11:26 am 
Silent Key

These shows make it hard to find radios for under $50. I saw some radios in a shop for $399 and 499. They were common brown bakelite.