Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 31, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: zenith transoceanic
PostPosted: Sep Mon 10, 2012 2:38 pm 

was thinking about buying a transoceanic.was wondering what the best model is for dxing?are the royals the best?

Post subject: Re: zenith transoceanic
PostPosted: Sep Mon 10, 2012 2:56 pm 

I'm not an expert by any means but some think the last ones are the best ones. The Royal 7000 series. I've had a number of tube ones and they worked well but the 1L6 tube is hard to find and expensive.

AFAIK "Royal" means transistorized. The 1000 doesn't have FM, the 3000 and 3000-1 are probably the most common and most reasonably priced, I've had a number of them. Last one was $10 at a garage sale. Then came the 7000. The handle/antenna on the 1000 and 3000 can be troublesome and is sometimes broken. Shortwave is starting to become pretty empty so FM is nice.

As far as collectablility, the first ones and the last ones seem have the most interest, also the brown case versions. As far as AM dxing, my GE P-780's with an external antenna are as good or better than my 3000-1 TO but none are fully restored or aligned so it might not be a fair comparision.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 10, 2012 3:34 pm 
Silent Key

Possible I can get an R600 for $50 locally this week. The seller bought it new. 1954 or so.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 10, 2012 6:26 pm 

It does depend on what you will mostly use it for but the later ones , 3000, 7000 have more features. Definitely they are more practical but I am not sure if they actually pull in more stations. Obviously its nice to have FM these days.

The tube types do have a nicer sound - they are somewhat less practical but have that extra style about them (my opinion anyway). I have not noticed any significant sensitivity difference on shortwave between my 600 type and a contemperary early transistor 1000-D but have no experience of the 3000 and 7000.

I love them both but if I was forced at gunpoint to give up one of them I would keep the tube type.

$50 is probably a good price for a 600 series in decent condition if you can pick it up locally

PostPosted: Sep Mon 10, 2012 7:24 pm 

The only model that has continuous shortwave band coverage is the model R7000 (not Royal 7000) series. It also includes the aircraft and the full Hi-VHF public service band. However, there are reported problems with the tuning drive belt and bandswitch detent in some of these sets. The R7000-2 did away with the drive belt in favor of geared tuning but people still have had problems with the bandswitch not providing a positive lock-in to the selected band. I have all of the Trans-Oceanic models (except the pre-war and military models) and find my R7000-2 to be the most sensitive, selective, and best-sounding of them all. The 600 series is the best among the tube models, in my opinion. All of the tube models seem to fall short on selectivity so dx-ing weak stations next to strong ones can be a problem.

You can see pictures and preview the manuals and schematics of the various Trans-Oceanic models here:

http://www.transoceanic.nostalgiaair.org/

Dave

PostPosted: Sep Mon 10, 2012 9:22 pm 

thanks for all the replies.i have an H500 but it needs to be completely restored and haven't had the time to even consider doing it or know whether I will be able to do it. if these are not that great for dxing what would a good radio be to buy?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 10, 2012 11:19 pm 

I would say that compared to most other sets, they are good to very good. There were similar sets made and/or marketed by Philco, RCA, Stromberg Carlson, Hallicrafters, etc.

Sometimes it's amazing how just a little AA5 or 6 can be a hot performer or a big console. Most thirties and fourties sets, especially those with an rf section, can be quite sensitive when aligned correctly and with a good outdoor antenna.

My best DXer's have been boat anchors hooked up to a decent antenna, of course that's what they were designed to do.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 12:16 am 

Quote:
...if these are not that great for dxing what would a good radio be to buy?

Which bands do you want to Dx in? Do you want a portable or a boatanchor? Tube or transistor? What is your budget? Can you get a little more specific?

Thanks!
Dave

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 1:54 am 

ggregg wrote:
I've had a number of tube ones and they worked well but the 1L6 tube is hard to find and expensive.

Just don't see that? The 1L6 was made for both "civilian" sets and also contracted by government suppliers, it's certainly not rare by any stretch. Expensive? Well.. if one insists on N.O.S., boxed, delivered to the mailbox, maybe a little pricey. Good, used tubes are reasonable, and most radios that use it will have it installed anyway, so it's kinda moot.

Point being, no-one should base their T-O model selection on whether it uses 1L6 or not, IMO.
There's a definite level of hysteria built around these sets for some reason that is unwarranted.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 3:06 am 

Maybe you have a source that I don't but looking over ebay, aes, and other sites, the going rate is around $40 and up. To me, that's an expensive tube. I own a couple of TO's that have them and I base what I buy on condition and price, not the tubes it uses, but it's something to be aware of. The 1L6 has had numerous discussions on this site mostly about availability and price. I don't deny that they were a common tube when new but seem to be hard to come by these days, otherwise why would the price be so high compared to anything else? I have a few good ones in my stash so it's not a big deal to me for the time being.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 6:15 am 

chrisc wrote:
It does depend on what you will mostly use it for but the later ones , 3000, 7000 have more features. Definitely they are more practical but I am not sure if they actually pull in more stations. Obviously its nice to have FM these days.

The tube types do have a nicer sound - they are somewhat less practical but have that extra style about them (my opinion anyway). I have not noticed any significant sensitivity difference on shortwave between my 600 type and a contemperary early transistor 1000-D but have no experience of the 3000 and 7000

I have a passel of all of the different models (it's not an addiction, I can stop any time I want to, I just don't want to...) and if good DXing is what you want, I would suggest a 3000. The 1000, 3000, and 7000 are all about the same as far as sensitivity go. The average transistor model is generally better than an average tube version and in my case a properly-adjusted transistor model is significantly better in terms of sensitivity than even the best of my tube versions, including using the SS replacement 1L6, and that is a lot better than most real 1L6s.

The 3000 is a good choice because it's as good as the other SS models, but more practical than the 1000 and usually A LOT cheaper than the 7000. The extra selectivity of the 7000 means less than it used to because there are a lot less cases of closely-spaced SW stations than there used to be. The tube models usually sound better than the 1000 and 3000, but it's a pretty close call and the 7000 kills them all, tube and SS, in terms of audio quality. All the SS models are likely to work well with minimal rework, just a few hours to replace the electrolytic caps and some tweaking and you are set. And they are much more practical in terms of battery life.

To me, all things being equal , $50 for a 3000 and a few hour of your time and you can't get much better. Of course, if there is a deal on something else, you can't go too wrong with any of them, and obviously I cannot turn one down regardless of condition or age.

BY THE WAY, if AM dxing is all you want, do not overlook the lunchbox radios like the Royal 755. Working properly they are surprisingly good performers and have excellent sound quality. I finally got my SSTRAN working reasonably well last weekend and attached it to the hi-fi system server and played all the radios in the house. Of the portable radios, it was a close call between the Royal 7000s and the 755s. I couldn't have been more surprised, but it stood out. They also have excellent sensitivity and acceptable selectivity for AM DXing, roughly equivalent to a Royal 1000. If you can find a 750/755/760 for $20, that's a very good option.

I also found that the Telefunken Opus 7 was AMAZING even on AM, once I got everything working, but that's another thread.

Brett

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 1:13 pm 

mainly AM dxing is what I am looking at but would like something that is capable of receiving SSB on the ham bands.every shortwave radio I have doesn't have the capability to receive SSB except for one portable and one big table top but the BFO is hard to make work to hear the conversation.money wise below $100 if possible.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 3:08 pm 

You need to decide tube or transistor. If it's transistor then a late 70's 7000 that have an excellent BFO. If it's tube the early post war sets (mid to late 40's) DX very well and use loctal tubes that are plentiful and cheap. You can buy a kit BFO on the net for $10.00, set it next to any shortwave and listen to SSB at your leisure, I have one and love it. Mike...

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 3:46 pm 

For full band coverage with stable SSB in your price range, maybe you should be looking at the modern Kaito KA1102 (also known as the Degen DE1102). I understand these radios have better than average performance. Here's one for $70 including shipping from a US distributor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAITO-KA1102-AM ... 48463c5b57

Here is a review of this model:

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1102.htm

Dave

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 5:39 pm 

Dave,
I have the 1102 but ssb doesn't seem to come in that clear.maybe I am doing something wrong but it doesn't seem too clear.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 5:41 pm 

radiola,
where can you get the bfo kit you are talking about?and how does it work with not being connected to radio?
thanks

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 6:17 pm 

I heard you can use an old am transistor radio as a BFO by placing it near a receiver and then just tune the am transistor radio till you receive the ssb dignal on the receiver.has anyboy tried this?if so how good did it work?

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 6:33 pm 

It's call a Ten-Tec BFO kit #1050 Mike...

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 6:51 pm 

thanks Mike

PostPosted: Sep Tue 11, 2012 7:05 pm 

hcheetham wrote:
Dave,
I have the 1102 but ssb doesn't seem to come in that clear.maybe I am doing something wrong but it doesn't seem too clear.

I don't have one, myself. I was just going by the reviews I have read and the experiences several ARF members have posted here in the past.

Getting decent SSB reception is dependent on several factors. The frequency stability of both the received signal and the BFO signal is very important. Also, the ability to achieve the proper ratio between the received signal and the BFO carrier injection level is necessary to get good results.

It's possible that the 1102 isn't as good as people say it is.

Dave

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: sofaslug, Paul Go to page 1, 2  Next