Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Thu 21, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Motorola 5J1U info.
PostPosted: Oct Sun 07, 2012 5:57 pm 

trying to gather information on the Motorola 5J1U "Jade" Radio. as well as info on the proper way to remove scratches from the outer case. Great item I just found, so want to clean it up.

Post subject: Re: Motorola 5J1U info.
PostPosted: Oct Sun 07, 2012 7:50 pm 

Schematics are in Beitmans 1950 page 80 and 1951-91 and in Sams Photofacts 100-7. There was a good discussion of electronics considerations for these types of radios in the thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=205388. I don't have that particular set, but similar sets had cabinets made of a combination of painted metal and styrene plastic. There is tons of info on cleaning and polishing techniques in the cabinet restoration section. A picture and some more information would help us be more specific.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 07, 2012 9:45 pm 

Here are the photos

Attachments:
Motorola 5J1U (4).JPG
Motorola 5J1U (4).JPG [ 42.81 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]
Motorola 5J1U (3).JPG
Motorola 5J1U (3).JPG [ 55.8 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]
Motorola 5J1U (2).JPG
Motorola 5J1U (2).JPG [ 43.67 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]
Motorola 5J1U.JPG
Motorola 5J1U.JPG [ 47.09 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Mon 08, 2012 8:56 am 

That set is not too much different from my 51M2U. The plastic is quite soft and should be cleaned up with mild detergent and water. Hand polishing with Novus should make a noticeable improvement. If needed, deep gouges can be taken care of with wet sanding. Start with about 800 grit and work down to 1200 or even 1500 and then back through the Novus series. It is a slow, careful process that must be done by hand because of the nature of the plastic. Be especially careful if you have to remove the knobs. There were many variations of those little sets and each model had unique knobs that are virtually impossible to find. Add to that that they have become quite brittle and the part that slips over the shafts are easily split.

If that were not enough, the chasses are so crowded that you need a lot of soldering skill and a very steady hand to work in there. As much as I hate PC boards, I almost prefer the ones used for similar radios from the mid-50s to that chassis. I restored mine about 10 years ago and I would have second thoughts about doing it now that my vision and hand steadiness have deteriorated with age. It is doable, though. Performance is not great, but acceptable for a small portable. I still have batteries in mine and listen to it occasionally for the local talk radio station.

A little Rub N Buff gold leaf would refresh the "M" logo latch and is reversible if you come up with a better alternative later. You can buy a small tube at Michael's and maybe Hobby Lobby.

If you need schematics or parts lists, I could scan them for you.