Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 22, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Identify this antique "Philco" Radio
PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 3:59 am 

I am completely new to this hobby, was offered to purchase this restored "1938 Antique Philco Radio", but I don't see the usual philco stencil on the radio itself, Could anyone tell me if this is indeed a philco? year and model of this particular radio? What is the fair purchase price for such a radio? thank you for all your help

Post subject: Re: Help Identify this antique "Philco" Radio
PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 4:12 am 

Well, I don't claim to be a Philco expert but it seems obvious that the cabinet has been refinished and in that process, the Philco decal probably was dissolved. I think most Philcos had a paper label designating the model #, etc. on one of the walls on the inside of the cabinet (viewed from the back). Does that one have a label inside?

The cabinet, knobs, and dial have the earmarks of Philco radios of the late 1930-early 1940 era.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 4:28 am 

I am purchasing this unit from across the country, I won't be able to see it up close, the seller asked for $250 which I thought is fair due to the pictured condition, after some searching online I was able to find a completed ebay auction of the same radio in unrestored condition that ended at only $35, now I have some doubts about the price, but still I am uncertain of the year and model of this radio.

My seller told me this is a 1938 vintage radio, but the plastic dial seems to indicate a later model year? the auction description states" the chasis type is 32A and Code is 121"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1940-Philco-Broadcast-Tube-Radio-/261113641831?nma=true&si=S7j0ctzsiO0g4ypznDfSkGeIVS8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 5:21 am 

That is right ,I have 2 of them and they work great.
Bruce

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 6:04 am 

Bruce, Can you tell me the exact model number and the year it was made? Is this a Canadian model? can't find much about it online, is $250 for fully restored resonable?

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 8:27 am 

Alv, can you reduce the size of your photos. The 1600x1099 pics making us have to scroll to see the radio.

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a radio like that. But that's up to you.
The side trim is black and should be dark brown.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 8:59 am 

gary rabbitt wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a radio like that.

+1

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 11:33 am 

Tough set to research!
I have that set listed as a Canadian model 37A from 1939. It has an acceptable restoration and incorrect knobs. Those are Philco knobs from '32-'35. The originals are plain generic type anyway.
That's quite a bit of money for a rather simply styled set, but if you like it, go for it! The seller put a top dollar price on it due to the resotration efforts. You can find LOTS of other sets for that
kind of money.
BTW, it never had any kind of faux "photo-finish".

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 2:33 pm 

I'm not sure which hobby you are referring to.... Collecting radios or restoring them? Unrestored tabletop radios can usually be found for less than $50. I'm guessing that $250 is a price that the restorer is looking for. This may mean that he has replaed al the capacitors in the radio, along with any other components that may have needed to be replaced. The radio is probably in working order and it looks as though he completely refinished the case. And as the color difference mentionned above, probably not to exacting standards.

The bottom line is that a radio is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Some "collectors" pay a premium price for completely original condition, which this finish has already destroyed. So that tells me that the original condition of this radio was not pristine or the seller would not have refinished it. I personally collect and restore radios that have flaws, like large cracks or large sections of bakalite missing. That's because I can (A:) get them cheaper and (B:) fix them to look whole again at a glance which really saves the radio from destruction or becoming a parts radio. Of course those flaws are still a part of each radios character and the finish generally makes them look brand new as though they just came out of the box 60 years ago. So some collectors frown on that. Other collectors prefer it because it is really just a conversation piece. Either way they don't bring premium prices. When I sell a radio I always point out the flaws that I repaired and generally find that I can sell them for about the amount of money I put into restoring them, which keeps my restoring hobby going. And that's exactly what it is to me, a hobby. Some guys are in it for a profit and use it as a means for income. I'd say this seller probably falls into that category.

As a collector I would consider paying that much for a pristine radio like that if it were in absolute original condition, minus electronic repairs to the chassis. But I don't buy restored radios because all of my fun is restoring them myself. But I've seen radios like this one sell for anywhere between $50 to $400, depending on what that particular radio might mean to the buyer. It could be that his parents or grandparents had a similar model and he just wants something to remind himself of those wonderful days with them. Or he might be an eccentric collector who enjoys items from a particular decade, or even a particular year. Some people buy radios from a particular year as a gift for a parent who might have been born that year. But there's a thousand different reasons what sopmeone is willing to pay for any product. As I said before, a radio is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

John

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 4:33 pm 
Silent Key

There are plenty radios around for under $50. Good luck.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 5:04 pm 

Seems like a top dollar price for what looks like a fairly average restoration. Or even less than average. The grain pores are visible and the overall refinish job is not too good - looks uneven or wavy. The wear rings around the knobs are clearly visible. Look at the side view, you can see where the dark lacquer was sloppily applied - Overspray where it shouldn't be. That combined with what was already pointed out, there is no way its worth that kind of money. Just my opinion of course. A shame too as it is a very attractive design.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 7:45 pm 

I agree with others. $250 is way too much for such a poor restoration job. Some of the guys here can produce results that would indeed be worth that kind of money, but that particular radio isn't one of them.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 7:46 pm 

It's a Canadian Philco.

$250 is way too high. Even restored, it's maybe a $75 set. Unrestored, more like $20-$40 depending on where you are.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 8:11 pm 

Agreed, at a radio show you would be lucky to sell it "restored" like that for much more than about $75, and unrestored would be quite a bit less.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2012 8:14 pm 

Thanks for everyone's great inputs, I turned the seller down, your comments saved me from throwing good money away on a botched weekend restoration project. During my search I came across this 1988 GE J100 replica on ebay that recently fectched $200+shipping, can't believe what people are able to get away with these days, the seller wisely stated "older Model GE still plays great" In this circumstance Buyer is not even in the position to file a paypal claim once he notices that "Made in Malaysia" label on the back, as anything beyond 25 years could legitimately be considered an antique, Caveat Emptor ...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-GE-Radio-/280993412905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416c833729&nma=true&si=wCBwsfRG0dx1BfXTrKty7%2F46mY0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Just wish I have the means to acquire a genuine J100, this is the first time I seen it offered anywhere. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1933-General-Electric-GE-J-100-Vintage-Antique-Gothic-Cathedral-Tube-Radio-/181020379739?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a25a7ca5b Image

PostPosted: Nov Sat 10, 2012 10:58 am 

afv123 wrote:
During my search I came across this 1988 GE J100 replica on ebay that recently fectched $200+shipping, can't believe what people are able to get away with these days, the seller wisely stated "older Model GE still plays great" In this circumstance Buyer is not even in the position to file a paypal claim once he notices that "Made in Malaysia" label on the back, as anything beyond 25 years could legitimately be considered an antique, Caveat Emptor ...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-GE-Radio-/280993412905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416c833729&nma=true&si=wCBwsfRG0dx1BfXTrKty7%2F46mY0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If you'll notice in the original auction, it ended as a BIN on October 15, and the seller re-listed it at $65 auction style, which ended November 8 with no takers. So apparently the first deal fell through.

It's not a bad radio though; my daughter and son-in-law bought me one for Xmas around 1987. Nice wood cabinet, large speaker, and a sensitive circuit. The tuner acts like in the old times, not like the Chinese crap of today.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 15, 2012 2:52 pm 

fifties wrote:
afv123 wrote:
During my search I came across this 1988 GE J100 replica on ebay that recently fectched $200+shipping, can't believe what people are able to get away with these days, the seller wisely stated "older Model GE still plays great" In this circumstance Buyer is not even in the position to file a paypal claim once he notices that "Made in Malaysia" label on the back, as anything beyond 25 years could legitimately be considered an antique, Caveat Emptor ...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-GE-Radio-/280993412905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416c833729&nma=true&si=wCBwsfRG0dx1BfXTrKty7%2F46mY0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It's not a bad radio though; my daughter and son-in-law bought me one for Xmas around 1987. Nice wood cabinet, large speaker, and a sensitive circuit. The tuner acts like in the old times, not like the Chinese crap of today.

Yes it's still a beautiful radio. But it concerns me that the repro has no markings or indications that it is in fact a repro. If that arrived at my door with all solid state circuitry I'd be calling eBay every 5 minutes until that seller was banned, because that is obvious word manipulation. Most of the repros are dead-give-aways because they'll have a cassette player or cd player installed. But this one looks almost identical to the original one.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 15, 2012 5:45 pm 

mugginsjr wrote:
Yes it's still a beautiful radio. But it concerns me that the repro has no markings or indications that it is in fact a repro. If that arrived at my door with all solid state circuitry I'd be calling eBay every 5 minutes until that seller was banned, because that is obvious word manipulation. Most of the repros are dead-give-aways because they'll have a cassette player or cd player installed. But this one looks almost identical to the original one.

What are you talking about? You could start with the AM/FM selector, in addition to the dial which clearly shows the modern FM band. Then look at the back and you see that it's a solid piece without vents, which means solid state.

I'd say that even if you weren't familiar with this specific radio, it has "repro" written all over it.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 15, 2012 11:26 pm 

Wow. I have the console version of that J100, it's a massive chassis - that tombstone must be huge.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 16, 2012 1:57 am 

mugginsjr wrote:
fifties wrote:
afv123 wrote:

First, remember that not all sellers are antique radio knowledgeable, and if you asked 100 random people when FM broadcasting started, you'd probably get 90 blank stares, so the fact that the right knob is an AM/FM switch might not register.
The fact that it plainly says, "Made in Malaysia" on the solid pressboard back, however, would be the first clue, and it's very light weight would be a dead give-away, at least to anyone having handled metal-chassis electronics. This model doesn't have the weight bar added, like the Crosley-branded repro's do.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderators: sofaslug, Paul Go to page 1, 2  Next