Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 19, 2018 4:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Radio Restoration Diary 2 ( post photobucket)
PostPosted: Feb Sun 18, 2018 3:18 am 

I have the Pacemaker 5155.... This is a real surprise to see a Motorola cabinet virtually identical... The lore says that C&B made 5,000 of the 5155s. That did seem to me like a small production run to justify a steel mold for Bakelite. Maybe they did import the cabinets??? Or bought the mold from Motorola??

Would be neat to have the real scoop....

Robert

PostPosted: Feb Tue 20, 2018 1:58 am 

Well,
Its been a busy few weeks. The latest restorations below

1: A late model Grundig console.

This thing has had a loooong story. Two years ago we were given a large estate, basically a warehouse full of stuff from Monterey. It was clear that at some point someone had gone in there are looted almost ALL of the tubes out of anything that had them. That included this console. And wouldn't you know that the output tubes were ECLL800's? Yes- a tube that now costs $90 each. I really wish I could have gone back in time and told the person who did this how wonderful that was.

And so it sat for two years in our museum. It was eventually moved to the bathroom where people sat on kinds of boxes, equipment and other crap on top of it.

2 weeks ago a member of ours informs me that he had found a set of ECLL800 tubes. And so with that huge expense out of the way work could proceed. This set had a LOT wrong with it. It had a short in the 6 volt filament string. It was also blowing fuses and only working out of one channel. The 6 volt powers supply was solved. But the other issues I almost went insane trying to figure it out. So I brought it to the museum for a 2nd set of eyes. One of our volunteers, Jimmy found that though the solder joint looked good between one of the output transormer's grounds that it was actually loose. In fact I found a LOT of loose joints in this set. The PCB board material is brittle and easy to crack and I had to repair a few. I would not really recommend these sets. But anyway it is now up and running. The record player was also taken apart, cleaned and oiled. Bluetooth is added as well via the tape feature.

Next: Basket case firestone. It kicked around the museum for a few weeks before I felt sorry for it and too it home. I am NOT good at refinishing stuff, but I tried my best to make the set look reasonable. It actually sounds very good with decent fidelity. The chassis was cake. Very basic construction yet surprisingly sensitive. It too has an added bluetooth module.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 5:04 pm 

Thats a nice little Firestone, good save :) Was the switch gang ok? Looks like one of them was pressed right in.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 6:30 pm 

The Firestone restore looks beautiful. It also looks like you replaced the knobs. If so, please let me know where you got them. I need some replacement knobs for an old 40’s era Clarion radio.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 27, 2018 7:08 pm 

The Firestone had the same knobs when I got it. I just soaked the old ones for a few days as they were really nasty. Then used car polish to bring back the shine.

Anyway.... so I now have a literal mountain of mostly European radios, all of which came from the estate of my friend and museum member primitiveradiogod. He too had a fascination with oddball sets like I do. The first one I started on is the one pictured on the top of this stack.

I thought it was German. I can't really figure out what the brand is. It just says " Galaxie". But anyway its actually Polish. I've seen a few Polish radios but never worked on one. This one is weird. The chassis is stuck upright on a PCB board and in order to get to some of the caps required removing the dial glass and metal plate behind it. Overall its kind of crude compared to both the typical American or German set I've dealt with. Somehow the manufacture managed to make an AM/FM radio with just four tubes.

The output tube is an ECL82, which is pretty weird for that usage as it wasn't designed to be used that way. It was totally dead and so too was the EBF89 tube.

It took about 2 hours to recap, mostly because I had to take half the thing apart to get at the parts. The challenge I've run into with this and another of his sets were that they were sitting in a damp basement for years. All of the contacts are either filthy or sort of corroded. I had to use a lot of contact cleaner on everything to both free things up and to restore the electrical connections in the tube sockets, switches and controls.

Anyway other then that the case had veneer on one side that was splitting. That was glued back together. I have now gotten the set to work and will post more restoration and final pictures when its done.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 5:10 pm 

The Polish radio is now done. I still don't know who exactly made it but the brand up front is "NEC". I cannot find any reference to that brand anywhere and of course its not related to NEC, the Japanese electronics firm.

It works pretty well.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 8:27 am 

Nice Save!

No Console Left Behind!
Come join us @ http://vintagehifi.net/

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 8:02 pm 

Here's another one from Scott's stuff, a medium sized Telefunken "Operette". I've probably restored 5-6 of this model and they are not my favorite to work on since a lot of components are buried several layers down and hard to get at, usually requiring some of my handy-dandy surgical tools. This one was filthy inside and out. As the electrolytic can was spewing its innards out the top I didn't bother applying any power but instead just went ahead and shot-gunned the whole thing. Image

Another issue I see a lot on Telefunkens is that the volume pots as well as tuning shafts will seize up: the tolerances are so tight that the grease used at the factory will gunk up, glueing it all together. The fix is to heat the shafts up and apply oil which will eventually work its way into the shaft and with some twisting and turning will free up. Sometimes it takes forever. This one wasn't as bad.

And then I gave it a test and was met by smoke- resistor smoke as a 1k resistor that comes immediately off B+ fried itself. I spent 30 minutes poking and testing this and that and could not find anything wrong... until I saw a splattering of solder where I'd somehow managed to get it all over one of the connections to an RF can that shared one of its leads with the said resistor. That solved the smokin' resistor issue...

The cabinet was pretty grungy. To remove the filth I use 0000 extra fine steel wool and old english. Then follow up with several applications of Novus No.2 plastic polish and car wax. The finish on these is a thick polyurethane and so it will polish up just like a hard plastic.

And so its up and running except one of the pilot lamps is out. I will be taking this to a class we're putting on at the museum Saturday and I'll be showing how bluetooth adapters can be added.

Also of note: this and the Polish radio will be sold with all proceeds going to Scott's family. I will not ship these but if anyone has an interest let me know. There is a possible interest in the Polish radio but I'll find out if he's a buyer Saturday

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 1:09 pm 

Polish radio:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/unitrazak ... olero.html
viewtopic.php?t=117418

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 6:15 pm 

Thanks for the link!

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 10:31 pm 

You are welcome, Bob. Polish factories apparently made more mid- and lower level radios for foreign companies and those radios were not sold in Poland. I used to have an off-brand "French" radio in the typical French ornamental style and with French inscriptions that was also made in Poland. Go figure. Regards, Jiri.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 10:50 pm 

It is odd, I have a "Galaxie" radio too which also has the same atomic NEC logo.

It is made in Japan. Perhaps NEC contracted out radios from this Polish firm?

-Steve

Attachments:
galaxie.jpg
galaxie.jpg [ 45.21 KiB | Viewed 1292 times ]
galaxieb.jpg
galaxieb.jpg [ 36.27 KiB | Viewed 1292 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 10:59 pm 

Man is that weird. They even use the same cursive looking script. I cannot help but think that there could not have been any relationship between the two companies. But they sure use the same logos!

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 1:46 am 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
Man is that weird. They even use the same cursive looking script. I cannot help but think that there could not have been any relationship between the two companies. But they sure use the same logos!

I would venture to say that since these were sold in the U.S. market, the "Galaxy" logo belonged to the American company that imported these radios, even though they were made in different countries.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 3:38 am 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
The Polish radio is now done. I still don't know who exactly made it but the brand up front is "NEC". I cannot find any reference to that brand anywhere and of course its not related to NEC, the Japanese electronics firm.

It works pretty well.

Nice save on the galaxie...I have one, it was my first"euro" set!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:26 pm 

Another few sets.

1: This sort of odd looking Silvertone. Why did I restore this? Because its an odd duck. AM/FM with two speakers, one being a rather big car speaker that fills up a lot of the case and a smaller tweeter. The plastic case is heavily made I suppose to deal with the speakers and the bass the larger one makes. I almost threw the thing away because the PCB board on it was terrible and full of dry solder joints. I wound up re-soldering almost ALL of it. But now it works great and sounds great to boot. 7 tubes total.

2: A HUGE Firestone Air chief. I've not really seen many table top sets this large. Not only that its rather heavy. This must have been a sort of export model- perhaps for South America. It has a knob on the power transformer for numerous voltages and will run on both 50 and 60 Hertz. All of the caps inside were MicaMolds, I assume for dealing with more humid conditions. Anyway... it had a lot of issues and after I spent a day or so on it and solved some, the rest were solved by another of our members.

It now has bluetooth too. I am really impressed with its sound. Despite having a modest looking speaker this thing really BOOMS. It sounds better than many big consoles I've worked on.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 6:30 pm 

Not much to report on. Last night I did this nifty Pre-war RCA. Just a handful of caps and the job was done... until I plugged it in and it instantly blew the pilot lamp like a flash bulb. 35Z5 had a nasty short. After that was replaced all was well. Kind of nice how on some sets the pilot lamp acts as a fuse.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 4:49 pm 

A few more things...

1: Little "Jewel" clock radio. Not my favorite clock movement-sessions- where there is a spinning flywheel. These are usually frozen and need lots of cleaning and oiling to get working again. Luckily the worm gear that the output shaft goes to wasn't worn- another common problem. So the clock works great. A basic recap and a polishing of the case and its good to go.

2: Not a radio but a clock. The case was cracked in half and had to be glued back together. Its what we believe was a clock made to take with mobile broadcast units for KCBS- a local AM station.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2018 5:08 pm 

I've gotten in a big batch of sets but... almost all of them have serious issues... as in these seem to be projects someone gave up on and so each has been a royal pain to sort out and repair.

Like this RCA AM/FM set. For some reason all of the RF transformers were wayyyyyy out of adjustment. One was screwed all the way in.

Anyway it works fine now, but its not the best on FM, not unusual for earlier FM sets. Am otherwise works perfectly.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 15, 2018 10:51 pm 

Hey bobwilson1977, do any of those sets that came in have knobs you’d be willing to sell separately? I’m still looking for a set for sn old Clarion

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 329 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next