Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 2:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: EH Scott Imperial High Fidelity Receiver (new acquisition)
PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 5:30 pm 

I was lucky enough to find this...
Attachment:
Laureate Grande 3-4 view.jpg
Laureate Grande 3-4 view.jpg [ 100.5 KiB | Viewed 3181 times ]

OK, I admit it was more like a protracted discussion / transaction
Attachment:
Laureate Grande front.jpg
Laureate Grande front.jpg [ 99.49 KiB | Viewed 3181 times ]

The gentleman I purchased from was kind and made sure the components were in good shape. Magnavox 12...
Attachment:
J-603 Magnavox Speaker.jpg
J-603 Magnavox Speaker.jpg [ 63.35 KiB | Viewed 3181 times ]

Receiver chassis... (yeah I know still in shrink wrap but no point in removing yet)
Attachment:
J-603 Chassis.jpg
J-603 Chassis.jpg [ 76.81 KiB | Viewed 3181 times ]

And last but not least chassis and speakers...
Attachment:
J-603 Chassis and speaker combo.jpg
J-603 Chassis and speaker combo.jpg [ 45.21 KiB | Viewed 3181 times ]

NOTE: All of these parts are paired with chassis J-630 not J-603 as listed in the photo names. I managed to transpose.

Thanks where thanks is due

Rodney (Palegreenthumb) and Norman (Braithewaite) Dave Poland also had a good bit of detail to add.

Without some additional information from these members this would not have been possible, so thank you.

Last edited by Bosch's Fault on Aug Thu 31, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: New Acquisition
PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 5:51 pm 

Um! Not fully understanding what you have there but its most impressive. Wonderful cabinet in excellent condition and then a Scott chassis with lots of tubes.

That looks in good shape also ...

Love to work on something like that, and play it afterwards, but no room and I couldn't move it around now anyway but do enjoy it. A great find

Gary

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 6:32 pm 

What you are looking at is an EH Scott All Wave 23 in a Laureate Grande cabinet.

Congratulations, Jeff! The sun goes dark for 2 minutes, and just look at the strange and wonderful things that happen! I do have to ask whether its arrival is in any way connected to the eclipse? I know OSU was a prime destination for many viewers...

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 6:42 pm 

Jeff, congrats!! That is so beautiful and so awesome!! Enjoy your treasure!!

Linda

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 9:24 pm 

What a great find! Speaker and chrome look good and tweeters too. That cabinet is really nice. I had the privilege of rebuilding one of these, it's something else to behold and sounds fantastic. I used the phono input and a broadcast Kenyon transformer so my customer could play CD's or whatever through it.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 9:56 pm 

Very nice! Your Laureate Grande cabinet looks to still retain it's original wood finish. Great find! An AW23 is quite a project to restore, you will be very impressed with the results though. The amp chassis contains four 2A3 output tubes wired in parallel push pull configuration with an output of close to or at 40 watts of power. The AW23 is the cream of the crop when it comes to radio performance on all levels. You will find the cabinet to be made of the upmost quality compared to average sets of the day. E.H. Scott was a top notch custom builder, sold some of the finest radios ever made back in the late 20's, all through the 30's, and into the early 40's.

Be sure to check those two voltage regulator tubes on the front right of the tuner chassis. If they light, they are good! Glad you consulted with some of radio's finest collectors before making your purchase. Congratulations once again and please let us know when you start the electrical restoration. It would be neat to see a thread similar to your RCA tombstone restoration.

Jon

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 10:48 pm 

I had great help from Norman and Kent King's web site http://ehscott.ning.com/profile/KentKing

PostPosted: Aug Sun 27, 2017 12:05 am 

Radio Fixer wrote:

Love to work on something like that, and play it afterwards, but no room and I couldn't move it around now anyway but do enjoy it. A great find

Gary

Absolutely one of the big questions is where this will end up. I cannot decide if it should be at my shop where it can play 8 hrs a day or at home where there are no industrial noises to interfere with the sound.

Quote:
Congratulations, Jeff! The sun goes dark for 2 minutes, and just look at the strange and wonderful things that happen! I do have to ask whether its arrival is in any way connected to the eclipse? I know OSU was a prime destination for many viewers...

Hiya Rodney. Thanks again for sharing your experience with this particular collector. No the eclipse is not to blame or indicated in any way. There were a good few people at OSU but we viewed from our back yard while listening to Rush 2112. Just the right kind of sound to watch the sun work its way to totality.

Quote:
Jeff, congrats!! That is so beautiful and so awesome!! Enjoy your treasure!!

Linda

Thanks Linda I am pretty darn happy about it.

Quote:
What a great find! Speaker and chrome look good and tweeters too. That cabinet is really nice. I had the privilege of rebuilding one of these, it's something else to behold and sounds fantastic. I used the phono input and a broadcast Kenyon transformer so my customer could play CD's or whatever through it.

Thanks Lou for the link. Hmmm... This Kenyon Transformer of which you speak sounds interesting.

Quote:
Very nice! Your Laureate Grande cabinet looks to still retain it's original wood finish. Great find! An AW23 is quite a project to restore, you will be very impressed with the results though. The amp chassis contains four 2A3 output tubes wired in parallel push pull configuration with an output of close to or at 40 watts of power. The AW23 is the cream of the crop when it comes to radio performance on all levels. You will find the cabinet to be made of the upmost quality compared to average sets of the day. E.H. Scott was a top notch custom builder, sold some of the finest radios ever made back in the late 20's, all through the 30's, and into the early 40's.

Be sure to check those two voltage regulator tubes on the front right of the tuner chassis. If they light, they are good! Glad you consulted with some of radio's finest collectors before making your purchase. Congratulations once again and please let us know when you start the electrical restoration. It would be neat to see a thread similar to your RCA tombstone restoration.

Jon

Hi Jon - I thought I just saw you went through one of these guys or a similar model recently. Sure I will have plenty of questions.

OK folks break time is over for me. The deal was I get the radio and remodel the kitchen. The cabinet doors have all been painted and the boxes are almost ready for primer.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 27, 2017 12:12 am 

I agree with Lou, the E.H Scott forum is an excellent source for research, documentation, and asking questions. Great group of collectors over there. Under the archive section on that site will be a set folder the AW23. This folder will have all the information you need for restoration, plus technical data and other various scans of original literature. It is important to note you have an early 5 knob version AW23 from outside appearance. The later version has 7 knobs. Remember this when pulling data for restoration. The little hole below the band switch on the cabinet will be the location of the BFO when chassis is inside cabinet. The beat frequency oscillator is used to zero in on a station when tuning, one of the most accurate ways to tune as long as everything is calibrated correctly.

Jon

Last edited by ketron281989 on Aug Sun 27, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 27, 2017 12:27 am 

Good luck on your kitchen remodeling. I did recently go through an 1934 AW15 and have another AW15 and 7 knob AW23 in the restoration queue. I hope you decide to put your Laureate Grande inside the house. Such a radio will complement your home. On top of that, with no outside noise you can enjoy the power and sound quality few manufactures could duplicate in the mid to late 1930's. With current trends on the collector market, an excellent original complete AW23 with tweeters can be valued at over $2500 dollars. Your cabinet elevates this price even more. Strictly my opinion, with tweeters I would value your set at over $4000, why on earth would you put it in your shop!!!!! Protect the unit in your home! Very rare to come across such a nice condition example. Just my opinion of course! Looking forward to hearing more on your quest for restoration.

Jon

PostPosted: Aug Sun 27, 2017 12:49 pm 

That's Awesome! That's definitely a living room keeper.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 27, 2017 2:30 pm 

That is amazing looking. You really scored an awesome display piece for your home on that one!

PostPosted: Aug Sun 27, 2017 4:22 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions on the EH Scott website. I did join there maybe a week and a half ago but so far have only been lurking.

A couple of months ago when I first started thinking about this I picked up a copy of this EH Scott book from RadioDaze. Thanks for re-publishing this book RadioDaze!
http://www.radiodaze.com/e-h-scott-the-dean-of-dx-item-bk-2/
There is what appears to be a really thorough history of EH Scott radio along with schematics and design characteristics for all of the receivers up through the 800B.

Indiana Radios and 2100 - I agree 100% and have been trying to figure out exactly where it will be sited. Currently there are tense negotiations occurring with my wife. Eventually we will sort it out I am sure.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 27, 2017 9:16 pm 

Glad to hear you will keep the unit in the house, had me scared there for a minute :lol: ! The E.H. Scott book on RadioDaze is a great read! After reading the book and restoring your AW23, I think you just might get hooked on E.H. Scott! They truly can't be beat when it comes to 30's sets! You will be impressed!

Jon

PostPosted: Aug Sun 27, 2017 11:10 pm 

Great score! I will be watching for progress updates as you get her cleaned up and restored. I know from reading previous posts on other projects this one will be top notch just like the others.

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 27, 2017 11:33 pm 

That is beyond amazing!

The only thing better would be a Philly in that cabinet! I think the 23 holds its own though!

There are currently two books on Scott available.

One by Marvin Hobbs, the other by Jim Clark/Kent King/Dave Poland.

Both are wonderful books!

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Aug Tue 29, 2017 12:40 am 

ketron281989 wrote:
Glad to hear you will keep the unit in the house, had me scared there for a minute :lol: ! The E.H. Scott book on RadioDaze is a great read! After reading the book and restoring your AW23, I think you just might get hooked on E.H. Scott! They truly can't be beat when it comes to 30's sets! You will be impressed!

Jon

No need to be scared Jon, either location is temperature / humidity controlled. I am thinking I will make this one work and leave the rest of the Scott's for other lucky people to enjoy. I am probably going to get rid of at least 1 of my consoles as the Scott now makes 4 which is 1 more than I have room for. I only really listen to two of them so feel a bit bad there as well. Someone should be listening to the Zenith.

Tbone! Kind words thank you. The E-101 you are re-finishing looks great.

Hiya Steve. I have the Marvin Hobbs book. Will want to get a hold of the other as well.

I am not sure if you could actually fit a Philharmonic chassis in this cabinet. It doesn't look like it to me. I will need to get a couple more photos of the cabinet... The top opens up on a piano hinge and there is a stay which will hold it open at approximately 90 degrees. The chassis sits on an angled shelf at maybe 30 degrees and you can see the chrome through the top of the cabinet. At the back of the shelf there is an adjustable across member to actually hold the chassis in place. The AW23 receiver chassis takes up every inch in depth of the shelf. Anyhow, maybe one of the guys who knows for sure will chime in.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 29, 2017 12:45 am 

Looks beautiful, so I am sure it looked just as good 40-45 years ago, when I might have been able to find or afford something like that! :cry:

PostPosted: Aug Tue 29, 2017 1:47 am 

Bosch's Fault wrote:
I am not sure if you could actually fit a Philharmonic chassis in this cabinet. It doesn't look like it to me. I will need to get a couple more photos of the cabinet... The top opens up on a piano hinge and there is a stay which will hold it open at approximately 90 degrees. The chassis sits on an angled shelf at maybe 30 degrees and you can see the chrome through the top of the cabinet. At the back of the shelf there is an adjustable cross member to actually hold the chassis in place. The AW23 receiver chassis takes up every inch in depth of the shelf. Anyhow, maybe one of the guys who knows for sure will chime in.

The Philharmonic Laureate Grande cabinet is a few inches larger compared to the AW23 version.

Jon

PostPosted: Aug Tue 29, 2017 3:57 pm 

wazz wrote:
Looks beautiful, so I am sure it looked just as good 40-45 years ago, when I might have been able to find or afford something like that! :cry:

Hiya Wazz - you are right to point out that time, opportunity, and resource don't always align. Luckily my business has been firing on all cylinders for the last couple of years and afforded me a little extra. Very Lucky.

Thanks for the clarification Jon. I thought I had seen a Philharmonic version but just the receiver chassis on the Philharmonic seems to be a good 2-3 inches deeper. It makes sense that they had to make a slightly larger cabinet. Once you get around to working on your AW23 let's compare notes.

EH Scott Radio Collectors Guide is in bound.

Cheers.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 198 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next