Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 12, 2017 7:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: dealing with a trader
PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 2:54 am 

Doc,

It sounds like you have a potential buyer who doesn't value your time. It's tempting to accept an offer that's right before you, especially when it's the only one you've had lately. In my opinion though, it's not worth it. Accepting any offer that's below what it 'should' be only cheapens the market price for your efforts and perpetuates the problem.

Having said that, there are some who live only a few hours north of you and would be happy to pay a 'finders fee' for unrestored radios. :lol:

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 4:06 am 

Jack, I hang my head in shame when I admit that I have fished in your waters. I once went to Southhaven to buy a radio from a lady my wife knew. Having said that, I can tell you of a guy in Nashville who has a (supposedly) nice Zenith 9 S 367- the Zephyr. I was told the cabinet was in nice original condition, the chassis is unrestored and he wants $250 for it. I wasn't interested- like I say I need to get rid of some- but if you'd like I can find out the particulars tomorrow.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 4:45 am 

There's no shame in that! We're all nerds here :wink: , and I'd much rather someone on this forum get a radio from my next door neighbor than I would see it go to the dump....

I'd definitely be interested in that one in Nashville. My wife and I have some friends up that way, so we'll likely be up that way before long anyway.

True to my opinion, your time and efforts are worth something. Whether you're restoring radios or sourcing parts like Mark Oppat. Just PM me and we can go from there.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 5:24 pm 

To me this would be simple, and Tomie touched on this already. As a collector, I would determine how much I would pay for the Philco if I saw it for sale. If it's exactly the thing you've been wanting for you collection, that may be a lot. If it's not that interesting to you, it may be very little. Once you have that number in mind, simply tell the person wanting to trade that the Zenith will cost $x and if you want to trade the Philco, I will reduce the price by $y. If they try to tell you that the Philco is worth way more than $y just tell them that it really isn't your thing and you'll pass on it, maybe they could sell it for the big bucks it's worth and just buy your Zenith. If they get offended and walk away, so be it.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 11:50 pm 

The Zenith is WAY more desirable than the Philco; he was probably thinking of flipping it. The $500 figure for the Philco is pretty high, even restored.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 10:13 pm 

doc612 wrote:
... I am going to turn him down but I want some ammo to show him why. Thanks for the help,
Doc
You don't have to show or tell him anything, unless you actually want it for a lower price... then you are negotiating!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 9:37 pm 

doc612 wrote:
When I started this hobby I promised She Who Must Be Obeyed that I would fund it myself- and so far I have. .

Aha.. how many other fundamental mistakes have you made ? :lol:

"That old thing? - why honey that's been in the closet for years. Don't you remember seeing it before?"

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2