Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 13, 2017 7:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Majestic radio ID from image
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 11:05 pm 

Attachment:
frontCU.jpg
frontCU.jpg [ 174.07 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

I'm trying to date an old piece of advertising. I'm hoping someone can tell me what model of radio is shown. I know it's Majestic, and I think it's around the 1920's.

Thanks so much,
Rod

Post subject: Re: Majestic radio ID from image
PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 5:24 am 

Pretty similar to a Majestic 72 from 1928.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grigsby_g ... 7_7_a.html

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 10:59 am 

Radio Manufacturers of the 1920's By Alan Douglas.
Page 149: https://books.google.co.uk/books/conten ... fsQ&w=1280

Greg.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 1:02 pm 

Majestic 92

Just a little about the radio itself.

Data: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 040020.pdf

It's a great looking radio but difficult to restore. It has a separate power supply which is attached to the receiver chassis and all of the necessary components in that power supply which will need replacing is sealed in tar. The wire harness, which connects the power supply to the main chassis, is made up of a bundle of rubber coated wire which degrades and crumbles over time leading to it's required replacement. The tuner uses the older 27 triode tubes in the tuner section. This will be satisfactorily in bringing in the stations but not nearly as well if it was fitted with the more up to date screen grid 24A tubes. Value wise, a set that is fully restored and retains it's original finish is valued at around $150. An non working example that retains it's original finish is valued at around $25 to $50. Majestic 92 is considered to be fairly common by many in the antique radio collecting community.

Could you post a photo of the entire ad poster? I'm sure some people here would like to see what it looks like.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 4:16 pm 

Attachment:
front_lowerRes.jpg
front_lowerRes.jpg [ 147.32 KiB | Viewed 242 times ]

As requested, here's a pic of the advertising display. It's a motion lamp that projects the continents onto the white circle on the front glass. A rotating cylinder makes the image appear to spin like a globe. If anyone near me (in Kansas) has an old Majestic 92 they'd part with, let me know. It might be fun to use one somehow to display the store sign.

I appreciate the responses ID'ing the model for me.

Rod

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:33 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
It's a great looking radio but difficult to restore.

Value wise, a set that is fully restored and retains it's original finish is valued at around $150. An non working example that retains it's original finish is valued at around $25 to $50.

There is paradox here. The set is difficult to restore even IF you can find a functioning rotor for the turner. It requires a complete overhaul of the power supply. Yet in that condition only worth $150? I happen to own one in original condition and completely funtional. Glad I did not restore it for resale or my time is only worth $2.50 / hr. :-)

@rodbrown; VERY NICE poster. I have never seen one. Thanks for posting it here. Do you have any video of it in operation? PM me your email if you want me to send a couple of photos of my radio to go with your poster.

Rick

Forest Gumping through life

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 1:54 am 

If you would take a video of that sign in motion and post it online like YouTube, I'm sure a lot of folk would get a big bang out of seeing it while it's running.

So, what's the story behind it? How did you come to acquire it?

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 9:41 pm 

I was just fortunate to run across it in a store one day. I'm not a die-hard radio guy, as you can tell by me not knowing a Majestic 92 when I see it, but I have an appreciation for unusual items. They knew it was rare, and I knew that I liked it . . . so I bought it. The spinner has some damage that prevents it from rotating at the moment, but I'll at least try to get a still image of it projecting onto the front of the sign.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 10:31 pm 

Here is a link to the thread on my Majestic. Pictures are on page 3. http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=301168&hilit=majestic+power

Rick

Forest Gumping through life