Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 20, 2018 7:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ways to input my content
PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 1:23 am 

Hello all,
I'm brand new to the forum...new to old radios and the proud new owner of a working Zenith 10S424. My goal is to use this radio to listen to vintage material of my own choosing. I'm certain there are many ways to induce my content onto my radio.... So I'm looking for the advice of the sages that I'm sure that exist in this forum.....I can see from the add on this web page that I could probably use the "Talking House" product... This does appeal to me, but I'd like to learn about more options.

I have a background in electronics (Trade school and I was a Navy ET) but I was never what you would call an electronic wizard. There were far too many pleasant distractions for me to really bother with learning back then. About two years ago I got my parents old prewar Lionel Trains running again, so I'm not entirely inept. But of course I realize radios are more complex than toy trains...

I look forward to being schooled up by ya'll.

Thanks,
WT81

Post subject: Re: Ways to input my content
PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 3:25 am 

The first two characters of the model number that you provided (10-S-424) indicates that it is a 10-tube chassis; the "S" indicates that it is a console model; and the first "4" after the "S" indicates that it dates from model year 1940. The remaining two characters are reserved for cabinet style/finish variants.

I can't find a reference to a 10-S-424 model, but it most likely uses a "1005" chassis. If so, it is factory-equipped with two audio input tip jacks into which can be injected an external signal source from a phonograph or iPod. There is a slide switch on the rear of the chassis which allows program source selection (internal radio or external source). So, only a simple cable is needed to link an external audio source to your radio.

The 10-S-4xx series is a great performer both in terms of radio sensitivity and tone quality. However, the 1005 chassis this series uses has some reliability peccadilloes involving the power transformer and B+ power supply which need to be addressed before using the set on a daily basis. You can Google search within this forum on the keyword string "Zenith 6X5" to obtain a full discussion of the issues.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 2:22 pm 

Welcome. If you want a transmitter for your radio you have options. Talking House is turn key ready to go and I think they have a reduced price right now. If you go to the home brew section of the forum there are several transmitters you can build from simple solid state with almost no construction to multiple vacuum tube designs. I use a retired iPhone on WiFi to stream Pandora on my transmitter. I just pick the genre of music I am in the mood for.

BTW; I also got my training in a Navy school. I was in the Marines and went through A and B schools at NAS Millington TN. Worked Com/Nav on A6 and F4

Forest Gumping through life

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 3:50 pm 

lorenz200w wrote:
I can't find a reference to a 10-S-424 model, but it most likely uses a "1005" chassis.

I concur. The 1005 is the only 10 tube chassis I have seen documented for 1940 models.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 4:06 pm 

lorenz200w wrote:
the "S" indicates that it is a console model;

Not quite, although many of the S models were consoles. The S indicates which bands the radio plays (3 bands, broadcast, shortwave, and police), and what type of power supply it has (AC). There are table models with the S in the model number, such as the 5S29, 12S232 and the 10S531.

There is a good Zenith radio model decoder here:
http://www.radioremembered.org/zenmodel.htm

I'm guessing WT81 has a 10S464.

WT81, welcome. If you post a picture of your radio, we can help you identify it for sure.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 1:52 am 

Thank you all for your replies...

Yes, it is a 1005 chassis. Yes it is a 10 tube console from 1940. I'd attach a pic but I have not yet figured out how.

I did see the "Television" input jack, which is like no other jack I have ever seen in my life, I figured it was some odd Zenith propriety thing that never caught on. I was aware that this is actually an audio jack... I have to admit I am somewhat intrigued with setting up my own AM station, (like Talking House) and lean towards that as a nifty solution.

So I can read from all your replies that I may have a ticking time bomb in my radio. I really hate to break the golden rule "Don't fix anything that works".... but I do believe that you all bring up some sage advice.

Being that I do not know the repair history of this potential traitor, I would like to investigate if the repair that ya'll suggest has already been accomplished.... Any thoughts about assisting my untrained eye in that endeavor?

Rick -I did my ET Training is Great Lakes....... I have always thought the A6 was a really cool jet. I used to watch them and the F14s landing while we trailed the carrier while on deployment.... I really should have been trying to tune up my own electronic skills in preparation of new mid fifty's radio hobby.

Thanks again
Stay warm

WT81

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 2:16 am 

" I'd attach a pic but I have not yet figured out how."
It's fairly easy.
Step 1 Post reply to the post you want to respond to.
Step 2 Below the two-toned red bar (entitled "upload an attachment") Browse you computer for your pic if you have one.
Step 3 Add the file. (be advised you can submit a maximum size of file; which means you may have to downsize of your file)
Step 4 Submit. (that should do it)

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 7:18 am 

Welcome to the Forum WT81. You will have a lot of experienced radiomen here who want to help you in any way they can, so go ahead and pick some brains, these guys know a thing or two.

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 7:59 am 

Windham Tech 81 wrote:
I'd attach a pic but I have not yet figured out how.
To post pictures, resize them to be 800×800 pixels or less, and store them with medium-ish compression, so the file size is smaller than 256 kB. You can use a web-based tool like http://www.picresize.com.

When you reply, below the text entry box, there is an "Upload attachment" area. Press the "Choose File" button, locate your downsized photo file, select it, and then press the "Add the file" button. Repeat as necessary; you may attach up to 10 photos per post.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 2:47 pm 

Art Hoch wrote:
... you may have to downsize of your file ...

Keeping the image dimensions down to 800 pixels in either dimension, as noted above, lets the entire image display on almost any screen.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 3:59 pm 

Windham Tech 81 wrote:

Yes, it is a 1005 chassis. Yes it is a 10 tube console from 1940. I'd attach a pic but I have not yet figured out how.

I did see the "Television" input jack, which is like no other jack I have ever seen in my life, I figured it was some odd Zenith propriety thing that never caught on. I was aware that this is actually an audio jack... I have to admit I am somewhat intrigued with setting up my own AM station, (like Talking House) and lean towards that as a nifty solution.

So I can read from all your replies that I may have a ticking time bomb in my radio. I really hate to break the golden rule "Don't fix anything that works".... but I do believe that you all bring up some sage advice.

Being that I do not know the repair history of this potential traitor, I would like to investigate if the repair that ya'll suggest has already been accomplished.... Any thoughts about assisting my untrained eye in that endeavor?

The audio input jacks are called "tip jacks" and are quite common in the electronics test industry. They are made to accept a small-diameter contact, like the tip of a voltmeter probe (hence the name).

The topmost tip jack is the hot terminal; the other jack is just a ground connection. It is needed for terminating the electrostatic shield overbraid of the input wiring to minimize hum pickup.

Many makes of sets had a "television" input feature like this just before WW2 started. TV was even then viewed as being "the next big thing in home entertainment" and everyone wanted in on the action. While few people actually hooked up television sets to this port, it saw good use as a phonograph input.

To inspect your radio, remove it from the cabinet and turn it upside down on a bench. If it appears to have any original wax-coated tubular caps with cardboard jackets, these need to be replaced. This set has quite a number of these (around 15-20, as I recall) so it is a bit time-consuming to replace them all. However, it needs to be done. The bakelite-cased caps are probably mica and should be left alone unless they can be positively determined to be bad.

The ticking time bomb on this particular model is the dual dry electrolytic cap used in the power supply.
If it is original it will appear as a large yellowish cardboard tube with two wires exiting one end, and one wire exiting the other end. It will be secured to the chassis with a steel loop around its midsection that has the free end riveted to the inside top of the chassis.

If one of the sections in this cap shorts out, that's it. It will cause the 6X5 tubes to overheat and short their cathode sleeves to the heater. This in turn shorts out the power transformer and will burn it out in a few moments. Not an inexpensive repair.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 1:24 am 

That is a fantastic reply Lorenz200w.. Thank you very much that was exactly the kind of descriptive help I need. Now for my next question.

What kind of things do I need to know when revove the radio from the cabinet... The dos and don'ts. It is obviously attached to the front face plate and I am a little concerned about the proper way to set the chassis free of the front... I know I can figure it out by just devoting the time and diving in, but there must be some things that this forums experience can tell me that help make my attempt more successful.

Will the dial be attached to the chassis? I think that it is... How to I remove the left and right control buttons from the chassis?

Thanks all for the help with the pic attachment....

Attachment:
Guts.jpg
Guts.jpg [ 138.35 KiB | Viewed 1133 times ]
Attachment:
Front.jpg
Front.jpg [ 167.17 KiB | Viewed 1133 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 1:38 am 

Oh yeah another question..... I don't understand the function of the selector switch "Automatic." I assume it has something to do with the preset switches on the right hand side..... And now that you have all scared me off of turning in this old beauty, I can't experiment. If I do, it might be "trial by fire"!!!

I do have to say that the tone and warmth of the sound that it produces was very satisfying to the ear.... Listening to the shortwave band made me wish I had taking a Spanish class way back when I was not paying attention in electronics class.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 2:27 am 

With the eye tube that bright, it's probably been recapped. But it would be good to check.

Turn off the radio and unplug it.

From the front: Pull the knobs off, using a small screwdriver to loosen the set screws. Take the band switch lever off. The button/switch plates each have a little horizontal push button just next to the dial. Push the button and lift the switch plate. I think the right one just comes off. The left one is hard wired to the chassis. Figure out the magical incantation and secret series of twists and turns to feed the plate through the hole in the escutcheon, so it's inside the cabinet.

From the back: Unplug the speaker. Take the chassis bolts out from the bottom of the shelf. Lift the chassis out. The dial will come out with the chassis. The dial glass and escutcheon will stay attached to the cabinet.

Verify the caps are new (got my fingers crossed for you), then reassemble in the opposite order.

It's a 10S464, btw. I call it the "Firefly radio" because they used one as a prop on the space station in the series Firefly.

Rodney

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 3:20 am 

After you pull off the two front plates, the one with the station presets should have an assembly behind it. You'll need to take off the bezel to get at the two screws that hold the preset assembly to the cabinet. Then you can pull the chassis. Carefully remove it with the chassis. There should be 4 wires connected to it. Lots of steps to get these 1940 Zenith radios apart!

After you examine the bottom of the chassis, if you need to work on it pull the wavemagnet assembly out from the cabinet and pull the speaker out. There is a bracket at the bottom of the wavemagnetthat you unscrew. When you work on the chassis you will need to plug the speaker and wavemagnet in to make it work properly. Don't power it up without both of these connected. Feel free to ask any questions. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks on this board.

Looking for mid to late 1930s Canadian Rogers, Majestic, and DeForest Crosley radios

PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 8:14 pm 

If you send a PM to me with an email address I'll send you some free documentation about an alternative AM transmitter. I'll send a printed copy too if you would rather. The data file is PDF.

On my receiver I did that, "OMG he didn't really do that..." sin of drilling two holes in the back. I swapped out the pin jack assembly with a standard RCA jack. I also, as a matter of personal standard, installed a fuse across the main.

Tomie

PostPosted: Jan Sun 07, 2018 12:38 am 

Thanks all for the great responses..... It's on me now to perform the exploratory surgery... I'm going to have to make uninterrupted time in my "free time" schedule to do it... and that won't come as soon as I would like it to...... I will post the latest news once there is some...

This is a great forum for information. I really appreciate it..........

In the mean time I'll be searching for "tip jacks", old time media (preferable depression era stuff, and a suitable MP3 player or other data storage/player device. I'm hoping to locate some Jack Dempsey fights, maybe some old Brooklyn Dodgers games, and Inner Sanctum and various other radio programs.

Stay warm,
WT81

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 12:32 am 

Well I still haven't made time to check out my capacitor situation in my Zenith..

.But I did make time to pick up this very shiny Grundig 2440U for that works great $60.00 bucks.
I guess I'm just showing off.
I know... I know.... replace the caps....

Attachments:
2440.jpg
2440.jpg [ 176.3 KiB | Viewed 596 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 1:50 am 

Windham Tech 81 wrote:
Well I still haven't made time to check out my capacitor situation in my Zenith..

.But I did make time to pick up this very shiny Grundig 2440U for that works great $60.00 bucks.
I guess I'm just showing off.
I know... I know.... replace the caps....

Pull the chassis and post a picture of the bottom side of the chassis. As to those Tip Plugs. a proper sized piece of tinned wire works well.
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Feb Wed 28, 2018 5:07 am 

I haven't use the original Talking House, but I have their upgraded version, the iA.M. Radio Transmitter. (Actually two of them tuned to different stations, to simulate tuning when testing radios in a shop with metal siding...)

http://www.iamradio.net/ at the bottom. I'm floored by the audio quality, it's incredible even on pre-HiFi receivers.