Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sun 25, 2018 6:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Should we "Restore" ALL Radios?
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 1:06 am 

I have a little metal Arvin in perfect condition that I intend to leave alone. Seems 100% original right down to the tubes, as I recall. Made sure it was clean and it is stored in a clear plastic bag for now. It played well without hum, I did try it. But it sounds like what it is, a small speaker in a little tin can, and I see no need to molest it as it is not used. I guess leave something for posterity. Some day someone may look into it and say "wow, an old radio that is not full of yellow or orange caps and Chinese film resistors! That is rare!". But the fact that it is complete and clean and cosmetically perfect makes a difference too. What good is a unrestored rusty piece of junk? I do support cleaning them up even if it is just wiping down and brushing the dust out of the nooks and crannies.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:18 am 

I suppose that a lot depends on what a person considers "restored" as to whether or not it should be done in any case.

Next it depends on whether or not the radio can be saved as-is or whether most people would throw it out as-is.

Then decide whether anybody would want to keep it following your particular brand of restoration. (even if it is just you cause some people just put them up for sale right away) See: EPay.

That is about it.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 4:30 am 

wazz wrote:
Some day someone may look into it and say "wow, an old radio that is not full of yellow or orange caps and Chinese film resistors! That is rare!".

Only if that "someone" happens to be a knowledgeable collector in the discipline of period electronic components. That, my friend, is and will continue to be, "rare", eh eh.

As a percentage of the general population of I think 330 million in the country, about how many of us are there right now, do you think? 10,000? if so, that's .0028%. 100,000? That's .028%, right now, and will diminish over time.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 5:02 am 

as i stated before, i want my radios to be playable and to be in the finest techincal and physical condition as possible.

i have no need, space, or time for an unreliable half-assed "ticking time bomb" of a tube radio in my collection.

here is one of my "restored" radios.

it is perfect, just the way my OCD likes it to be.

:P

steve

Attachments:
RCA 7ZX11 (1).JPG
RCA 7ZX11 (1).JPG [ 121.45 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]
RCA 7ZX11 (3).JPG
RCA 7ZX11 (3).JPG [ 149.15 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:04 pm 

Since our interests in the various aspects of the hobby vary we definitely shouldn't feel compelled to restore all of our radios. Unfortunately most of our radios are probably headed for the dumpster so no matter what we do to them probably doesn't matter. The best we can do is to take good care of them and share our hobby so we prolong their existence. In the past making them functional might have prolonged their life but with the demise of the AM band I'm not sure that's true anymore.

I enjoy restoring radios and really a get a kick out of hearing them play perhaps for the first time in 70 or more years. Despite this I still have no intention of restoring most of my radios and I just use them for display.

My current project is with a radio that has a large lighted dial. I'm using an external 12V power supply and warm white LED's to light the dial and a Bluetooth amplifier and speaker set in the radio. Using my Echo I can turn it on, play music, radio stations or oldtime radio mp3s. This leaves the radio unmodified except for removing the cord for safety reasons.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 4:01 pm 

fifties wrote:
wazz wrote:
Some day someone may look into it and say "wow, an old radio that is not full of yellow or orange caps and Chinese film resistors! That is rare!".

Only if that "someone" happens to be a knowledgeable collector in the discipline of period electronic components. That, my friend, is and will continue to be, "rare", eh eh.

As a percentage of the general population of I think 330 million in the country, about how many of us are there right now, do you think? 10,000? if so, that's .0028%. 100,000? That's .028%, right now, and will diminish over time.

I would not argue with this at all - except that those 10,000 people are the ones that are most likely to acquire one of my radios. The other large group are those that have a single family heirloom and surprisingly some of them also care how a restoration is done. And, mostly, I care.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 1:18 am 

Doing a little research, I would roughly estimate the number of radio collectors/restorers in the U.S. to be closer to 20,000 and possibly more.

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 4:56 pm 

Hello Jukeman,

Fantasy scenario: original Belmont owner returns from the other realm to visit. Sees his radio, tries to turn it on and says "why doesn't it work?".

He might not be overjoyed that it sat there all those years doing nothing. I would think he would be most impressed if it had been restored to service and still fulfills it's original purpose. He probably never looked under the chassis before and could care less if he now saw new capacitors and resistors.

Honor the person by using it the same as he did.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 8:18 pm 

He must not be a radio collector/restorer.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 49 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3