Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Fri 17, 2018 3:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Airline Radio
PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 5:49 pm 

I am wanting to restore this cabinet in the near future. Is my Montgomery Ward Airline radio a model 62-164 or model 62-225 as shown on the sticker on the inside? I found one picture that was submitted by another person who shows which I believe is identical to my radio, however it's a model 62-164. The 3 pictures I show states it's a 62-225. Any idea what's going on? Also the trim on the bottom is not correct and was put on by someone trying to dress up and possibly hide the damage to the cabinet. Does anyone have a better picture of the bottom wood trim? If so I would love to see it.

Attachments:
Airline_62-164_(1935)_Fullmer (1).jpg
Airline_62-164_(1935)_Fullmer (1).jpg [ 48.35 KiB | Viewed 760 times ]
IMG_2096.jpg
IMG_2096.jpg [ 54.25 KiB | Viewed 760 times ]
IMG_2095.jpg
IMG_2095.jpg [ 54.67 KiB | Viewed 760 times ]
IMG_2097.jpg
IMG_2097.jpg [ 76.45 KiB | Viewed 760 times ]

Post subject: Re: Airline Radio
PostPosted: Feb Tue 06, 2018 10:18 pm 

I went to Radio Museum on line and put in your model number 62-225, the number that is printed on your tube location chart. There is a Montgomery Ward radio link there. It shows a radio that is not yours. However there is 4th picture on that link of a radio add that shows an identical picture of your radio. You can see the bottom cabinet detail in that picture.
Your tube location picture is too blurry for me to read accurately but I do see a number of the tubes and they match the printed tube count for this radio. About the add that has your radio pictured, the OP says, “From my 1935-1936 Montgomery Ward catalog number 123.”
Rider's does not show a 62-225 print in the index.
So just for fun I searched Rider's for 62-164, it's on Rider's 6-15. It's similar to your radio but the tube count does not match. I don't know enough about MW model numbering system to explain the discrepancy. There are folks here a lot smarter than me who might know what's going on.
One other curiosity is at the bottom of the add that shows your radio. It says to order a model 462 A 225. I cannot find model number except as a suffix of another model, might be a catalog number.
I am interested in your project because I have bought but still do not have in my possession a similar but older model. I only have a picture, I don't know the model number of mine.
Hey, 4 bucks a month, I think I'll take them up on that.

Tomie

Attachments:
Airline advert.jpeg
Airline advert.jpeg [ 99.88 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 5:10 am 

Tomie, I pretty much did the same research and I am still slightly confused. But anyway, I'm going to redo the cabinet and will share some pictures once it's done.

Darrell

PostPosted: May Tue 22, 2018 2:13 pm 

I have restored this same type radio. The tube location label says 62-225 model number. Curiously the label has been washed over with stain just as yours has. Mine has the same type trim along the lower bottom of the box. Although the label is barely readable it would be nice to get one thats not stained. Was the label stained for a manufacturing reason?

PostPosted: May Tue 22, 2018 3:36 pm 

You sometimes see that on old labels, and I think what happened is they used a sloppy application of finishing material to glue the label into the cabinet at the time it was made.

Remember, the radio manufacturers paid the vendors less than $1 each for table model wooden radio cabinets. In order for them to have made a profit on the set, Wards likely only paid $10 to $12 for the radio when they bought quantities of them from the manufacturer, and then had to pay to have truckloads or a boxcar full of radios shipped to their warehouse(s).

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.