Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 21, 2018 4:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Halowat of Portland with a record number of dials
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 5:00 am 

What possible reason would there be for a 1924 five tube Halowat set to have that number of dials. I have heard of tube inflation but I wasn't aware of a competition for the highest number of knobs and switches.
Ed

Post subject: Re: Halowat of Portland with a record number of dials
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 5:34 am 

Early production vacuum tubes were not alike enough to operate the filaments from just a single rheostat. Especially tubes from small companies.

A filament rheostat for each of the five tubes, two tuning condensers and each tuning circuit with a tap switch or variometer.

There is a stage jack for the detector, 1st af and an output. An all purpose receiver :D

Federal 61 is another radio for an operating engineer.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 12:50 pm 

If you look closely, 3 dials have scales that go 180 degrees. Those would be the tuning and RF control dials. All of the other dials have scales that go 270 degrees. Those would be the rheostate dials. The manufacturer simply chose all of the dials and knobs to be of the style and size, that's all. Just part of the overall styling of that particular model. Halowat wasn't the only radio manufacturer to have gone with that style.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 4:07 pm 

Ed, I wonder if they ever built one of those?

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 5:23 pm 

Before TRF and Neutrodyne sets became the norm, most radios were one tube regenerative radios. Most were used with headphones
and had a soft detector like the 00 tube. these radios operated at 22.5 volts, or less on the plate. If you had a one or 2 stage amplifier,
it usually operated at 45 volts on the plates. Once radio became popular, the 4 or 5 tube Trf and Neutrodyne sets became the norm and
to get the power for room filling volume, plate voltage was increased to 67.5 or 90 volts or more. At 90 volts, the 01a operates at the
upper end of its characteristic curve, and strong input signals to the grid now create distortion. There are 3 ways to prevent distortion:
(1) Reduce plate voltage-which defeats the purpose of raising plate voltage in the first place.
(2) Introduce C bias which required another battery and more hookups, or...
(3) Reduce filament voltage. Less voltage, less emission and no distortion, but this requires a separate filament reostat for each tube since
The early tubes were sketchy as Chas pointed out.
That is why this Halowat used 5 reostats-which was not that uncommon for early TRFs. Most looked more like this Howard
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/howard_ho ... odyne.html. The Howard model A has no connections for a C Battery.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 6:11 pm 

Hi phlogiston, that is the first and only mention of that particular set that I have ever seen which may mean that it was just a passing thought. like you suggest. I would sure love to find one though.
Ed