Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 21, 2018 4:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aeriola Sr
PostPosted: Feb Wed 07, 2018 4:15 pm 

I have recently acquired a Aeriola Sr. I'm not a bench tech, but would like to try to get it to work. I've read some old forum from 10 yrs back. I know the radio hasn't changed, but is there any thing new. Example: It has a wd-11--- not checked it out yet---should I use an adapted tube. Battery, power supply, antenna, etc info that will get me up and receiving

Bill

Post subject: Re: Aeriola Sr
PostPosted: Feb Thu 08, 2018 4:37 pm 

Depends on whether your tube is good or not. If it is good, it could be used, carefully. Be careful with the filiment voltage for starters. And you will need a B battery too. Two or three 9V batteries in series ought to work for that. And sensitive high impedance headphones. Then you need a ground and a wire antenna of some sort. Not alot involved really, in getting it working in most cases. If you need to use a sub tube, you will have to pay for another triode that is compatible and rebased like a WD 11. There are plenty of tubes that could potentially function in there with the right connection.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 09, 2018 2:05 am 

Here's what I did with my first Aeriola Sr. I have two. Once I checked everything and decided it was worth trying to operate, I used a 199 tube as a sub. I ran wires up through the tube base holes in the radio and used small alligator clips to attach them to to the proper contacts. On the other end I stripped the wire back far enough to expose enough bare conductor to wrap it around each pin on the tube several times. Before wrapping I slid heat shrink over the wire. I wrapped the wire as tightly as I could, slid the heat shrink up and heated it. This made a good snug connection that was easy to remove later. I stuffed the excess wire down in the tube hole and put the tube in as far as it would go without crushing the wires. Hooked up the batteries (using the proper voltage for the 199 tube) and it worked great. Later I bought a 199/WD-11 tube adaptor off eBay and now I use it instead of the wires.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 5:11 am 

The Aeriola Sr. is a easy and fun radio to operate.

There are two types of WD-11 available: The early variety, brass based, tipped, a decent one will cost around $100 if you can find it; the later variety, bakelite based, no tip, more reliable, around $50 or less sometimes, again for a good one. I would skip the 199/99 as their price is nearly that of the later WD-11s now.

You'll need a 1.5V battery for the filament supply of the WD-11 tube - the "A" supply. You can still find the No.6 size 1.5V telephone battery from places like Excell or Battery Giant (if they're in stock) for around $20, one will be sufficient. You can also make your own by paralleling a couple of D sized alkaline flashlight cells together (for added charge capacity). Either option will operate the single WD-11 for many hours. One thing to note is the WD-11 filament is rated at 1.1V, 0.25A so the battery is capable of supplying more voltage then the nominal operating condition. Start the filament rheostat low, it usually takes no more than 1/2 of full setting to produce a good result with proper regeneration. If you can see the filament glowing you are applying too much voltage and risk burning it out. As stated elsewhere you can easily series connect 3 9V batteries together for the "B" supply. A 22.5V battery for that purpose is, or was, available from Excell, but they are rather expensive; you can make your own packs for far less using AA cells in holders of 4 and series connecting for 24V.

The antenna is best outdoors if you can do that. 25' or so around 10' off the ground will provide good results with a ground to the water pipe, don't forget the lightning arrestor. Even a 10' length indoors will provide results if you live in an area with strong stations nearby.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 5:36 am 

You can use one of these tubes with the same adapter for a x'99

http://www.tubecollectors.org/archives/ux864.pdf

Also known as a "VT-24"... Simlar filament as a WD-11 so filament rheostat has good control and regeneration will perform like an '11 too.

They are about the same in price as an x'99...

Chas

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 9:24 pm 

Groundhog74 wrote:
Here's what I did with my first Aeriola Sr. I have two. Once I checked everything and decided it was worth trying to operate, I used a 199 tube as a sub. I ran wires up through the tube base holes in the radio and used small alligator clips to attach them to to the proper contacts. On the other end I stripped the wire back far enough to expose enough bare conductor to wrap it around each pin on the tube several times. Before wrapping I slid heat shrink over the wire. I wrapped the wire as tightly as I could, slid the heat shrink up and heated it. This made a good snug connection that was easy to remove later. I stuffed the excess wire down in the tube hole and put the tube in as far as it would go without crushing the wires. Hooked up the batteries (using the proper voltage for the 199 tube) and it worked great. Later I bought a 199/WD-11 tube adaptor off eBay and now I use it instead of the wires.

#30 tube would probably work as well.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 11:30 pm 

Bill, if your WD-11 tube is bad and you want to stay with that type tube, I have some and could sell you one. PM me if your interested.

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 5:12 pm 

Thanks all for the great info. As my time permits, (work gets in the way) I will continue on my quest! I'll be back with questions, undoubtedly.

Bill

PostPosted: Feb Mon 12, 2018 6:35 pm 

I've collected old battery radios for decades, Bill. A few years back when I decided it was finally time to start seeing them sing for their supper, the Aeriola Sr (or in my case, Radiola Senior) was the first one I got going. Got the tube to light but no reception - in this case, it was a matter of dirty pins, as wiggling the tube a bit brought in static. Reception was a bit weak in the 'fones, so I ended up swapping in another WD-11 once I'd mastered tuning. It really came to life then, amazing how well this simple little box works.

You can easily check your tube for filament continuity at the very least, before spending a lot of time trying to get results from a dead tube. If it's good, you can move forward.

In my case, I built a simple battery pack consisting of one D cell and three 9 volt cells. I'll attach a photo of it below, easy to make with cheapie battery holders from Rat Shack, ebay, etc. Unlike a variable power supply, you won't have to worry about over-voltage frying a good WD-11. One D cell is 1.5 volts but you'll see some amount of voltage drop through your wiring connections, the rest is easily dealt with by the filament control. I run it high enough to hear comfortably but not loud. Both tube and battery will last longer that way. A dull red-orange glow at most, not bright.

This is a fun little radio that really brings back the magic of radio from days of misspent youth. Use a good long wire up high and an equally good ground for best results.

Attachments:
BatteryPack1.JPG
BatteryPack1.JPG [ 249.3 KiB | Viewed 558 times ]