Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Sep Sun 23, 2018 11:09 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Preserving as found condition – playing through Echo
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 5:00 am 
Member

Joined: Jun Wed 21, 2006 1:56 am
Posts: 906
Location: Katy, Texas
No worries. I agree with some sets being left in an As-is state.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Preserving as found condition – playing through Echo
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:59 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar Sun 11, 2007 6:55 am
Posts: 9964
Location: Mission Viejo, southern California
So, this is back to common capacitors and resistors being oh so special? I do not know where that got started, but it is good for,a laugh. As others have also suggested, the "precious" old parts may be placed in a bag or otherwise stored inside the radio. Even 100 years from.now, those old capacitors and resistors will be nothing special. There were too many made and there is too much information (advertising, photos, etc.) available. It seems that the radios with the speakers removed are more likely to be junked, as the parts are more likely to remain disassociated. Of course, these are not rare models, and each hobbyist may do what is fun, but any implication that the cast majority of people in this hobby (and business for a few) who do not keep the old capacitors and resistors are doing something wrong needs to stop. There may also be some sort of regional fad, as I do not know of anySCone in California who keeps the old parts.

_________________
many of my radios http://s269.photobucket.com/user/FSteph ... t=3&page=1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Preserving as found condition – playing through Echo
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 11:07 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Fri 23, 2009 1:10 am
Posts: 207
I don't think anyone here is talking about saving old parts. It's about saving some radios in the untouched condition for aesthetic reasons and not for the value of it's parts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Preserving as found condition – playing through Echo
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 11:37 pm 
Member

Joined: Jun Wed 21, 2006 1:56 am
Posts: 906
Location: Katy, Texas
FStephenMasek wrote:
So, this is back to common capacitors and resistors being oh so special? I do not know where that got started, but it is good for,a laugh. As others have also suggested, the "precious" old parts may be placed in a bag or otherwise stored inside the radio. Even 100 years from.now, those old capacitors and resistors will be nothing special. There were too many made and there is too much information (advertising, photos, etc.) available. It seems that the radios with the speakers removed are more likely to be junked, as the parts are more likely to remain disassociated. Of course, these are not rare models, and each hobbyist may do what is fun, but any implication that the cast majority of people in this hobby (and business for a few) who do not keep the old capacitors and resistors are doing something wrong needs to stop. There may also be some sort of regional fad, as I do not know of anySCone in California who keeps the old parts.


Its not about individual components its about preserving the complete construction including the techniques and parts of entire radio sets. There is nothing wrong with recapping sets but in some cases it shouldn't be done. I have run across otherwise NOS radios for example. They should be left as is .. working or not. You should at least get the topic straight before unleashing your snarky attitude.

Steve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Preserving as found condition – playing through Echo
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 11:48 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug Mon 08, 2011 4:19 am
Posts: 300
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Hi, I just looked up on ebay what this Echo thing is all about- pretty cool. I am not good with all these new tech gadgets. But maybe someday I will get one. I would like to try a 3.5 mm jack install on one of my old radios, but I don't have a schematic diagram for that. I believe anything that keeps these old radios seen is a good thing- otherwise they will get put in the dumpster.

Joe


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Preserving as found condition – playing through Echo
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 12:41 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Sat 24, 2011 9:17 pm
Posts: 2778
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
roguethistle wrote:
I would like to try a 3.5 mm jack install on one of my old radios, but I don't have a schematic diagram for that.
Here's the mental Schematic: If your input device has a jack for earbuds? You cut off the ear buds and combine L and R channels for a mono output to your mono radio, using 2 about 1K resistors, ends joined to form a Y.

The live side of the input is connected to the volume control, very simple. The outer sleeve of the earbud jack connects to the B- terminal or the chassis of the radio.
Then you mute the radio signal somehow or install the switch at the radio (RF) input to the volume control.

Search the top of the page here for 'Auxiliary input'.

A shielded cable works well, and one good cord is to find a good quality coax RCA extension cord for speakers, and cut off a length with the female RCA socket. The cable just hangs out from under the chassis if there is no hole for a jack.

roguethistle wrote:
I believe anything that keeps these old radios seen is a good thing- otherwise they will get put in the dumpster.

Joe
[/quote]True enough. A functioning radio gets TLC, or at least safe storage. A dead radio in poor storage is on the downhill path to the dumpster. :x

_________________
Watch the doughnut, not the hole.
Burl Ives, RIP, oldtimer.
[:l>)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Preserving as found condition – playing through Echo
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:42 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Fri 23, 2009 1:10 am
Posts: 207
FStephenMasek wrote:
So, this is back to common capacitors and resistors being oh so special? I do not know where that got started, but it is good for,a laugh. As others have also suggested, the "precious" old parts may be placed in a bag or otherwise stored inside the radio. Even 100 years from.now, those old capacitors and resistors will be nothing special. There were too many made and there is too much information (advertising, photos, etc.) available. It seems that the radios with the speakers removed are more likely to be junked, as the parts are more likely to remain disassociated. Of course, these are not rare models, and each hobbyist may do what is fun, but any implication that the cast majority of people in this hobby (and business for a few) who do not keep the old capacitors and resistors are doing something wrong needs to stop. There may also be some sort of regional fad, as I do not know of anySCone in California who keeps the old parts.

I guess I was kind of naive and pulled a Sheldon missing the satire of the post. Of course this is sort of thing one expected back in the un-moderarted news group days. It's a little disappointing to have it show up in this forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Preserving as found condition – playing through Echo
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 10:42 pm 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 10631
Location: Latham NY
It's just his opinion, everyone has one. I wouldn't let it bother me, life is too short. I was just at a radio meet in NH and most radios didn't sell, the market is way down as the number of collectors dwindles. So non permanent mods that get people to display old radios is a good thing, IMHO.


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Stan the Man and 14 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB