Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 23, 2018 11:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Preserving as found condition – playing through Echo
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 5:00 am 

No worries. I agree with some sets being left in an As-is state.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:59 pm 

So, this is back to common capacitors and resistors being oh so special? I do not know where that got started, but it is good for,a laugh. As others have also suggested, the "precious" old parts may be placed in a bag or otherwise stored inside the radio. Even 100 years from.now, those old capacitors and resistors will be nothing special. There were too many made and there is too much information (advertising, photos, etc.) available. It seems that the radios with the speakers removed are more likely to be junked, as the parts are more likely to remain disassociated. Of course, these are not rare models, and each hobbyist may do what is fun, but any implication that the cast majority of people in this hobby (and business for a few) who do not keep the old capacitors and resistors are doing something wrong needs to stop. There may also be some sort of regional fad, as I do not know of anySCone in California who keeps the old parts.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 11:07 pm 

I don't think anyone here is talking about saving old parts. It's about saving some radios in the untouched condition for aesthetic reasons and not for the value of it's parts.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 11:37 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
So, this is back to common capacitors and resistors being oh so special? I do not know where that got started, but it is good for,a laugh. As others have also suggested, the "precious" old parts may be placed in a bag or otherwise stored inside the radio. Even 100 years from.now, those old capacitors and resistors will be nothing special. There were too many made and there is too much information (advertising, photos, etc.) available. It seems that the radios with the speakers removed are more likely to be junked, as the parts are more likely to remain disassociated. Of course, these are not rare models, and each hobbyist may do what is fun, but any implication that the cast majority of people in this hobby (and business for a few) who do not keep the old capacitors and resistors are doing something wrong needs to stop. There may also be some sort of regional fad, as I do not know of anySCone in California who keeps the old parts.

Its not about individual components its about preserving the complete construction including the techniques and parts of entire radio sets. There is nothing wrong with recapping sets but in some cases it shouldn't be done. I have run across otherwise NOS radios for example. They should be left as is .. working or not. You should at least get the topic straight before unleashing your snarky attitude.

Steve

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 11:48 pm 

Hi, I just looked up on ebay what this Echo thing is all about- pretty cool. I am not good with all these new tech gadgets. But maybe someday I will get one. I would like to try a 3.5 mm jack install on one of my old radios, but I don't have a schematic diagram for that. I believe anything that keeps these old radios seen is a good thing- otherwise they will get put in the dumpster.

Joe

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 12:41 am 

roguethistle wrote:
I would like to try a 3.5 mm jack install on one of my old radios, but I don't have a schematic diagram for that.
Here's the mental Schematic: If your input device has a jack for earbuds? You cut off the ear buds and combine L and R channels for a mono output to your mono radio, using 2 about 1K resistors, ends joined to form a Y.

The live side of the input is connected to the volume control, very simple. The outer sleeve of the earbud jack connects to the B- terminal or the chassis of the radio.
Then you mute the radio signal somehow or install the switch at the radio (RF) input to the volume control.

Search the top of the page here for 'Auxiliary input'.

A shielded cable works well, and one good cord is to find a good quality coax RCA extension cord for speakers, and cut off a length with the female RCA socket. The cable just hangs out from under the chassis if there is no hole for a jack.

roguethistle wrote:
I believe anything that keeps these old radios seen is a good thing- otherwise they will get put in the dumpster.

Joe
[/quote]True enough. A functioning radio gets TLC, or at least safe storage. A dead radio in poor storage is on the downhill path to the dumpster. :x

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:42 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:

I guess I was kind of naive and pulled a Sheldon missing the satire of the post. Of course this is sort of thing one expected back in the un-moderarted news group days. It's a little disappointing to have it show up in this forum.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 10:42 pm 

It's just his opinion, everyone has one. I wouldn't let it bother me, life is too short. I was just at a radio meet in NH and most radios didn't sell, the market is way down as the number of collectors dwindles. So non permanent mods that get people to display old radios is a good thing, IMHO.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: sofaslug Go to page Previous  1, 2