Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 21, 2018 10:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I need some help with pricing several radios.
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 6:43 am 

Since I attend many estate sales, I have gotten to know the people who put on these sales. I received a phone call from the people who are going to
put on an estate sale with lots of radios and since I collect radios,
they want me to help them put some prices on these items.

I don't have much knowledge as to what the microphones are worth or the collection
of tubes. At the moment I only have these photos, but I was told that there are also some console radios and lot of transistor radios. I will be going to see the items on March 21st.
I know most of you guys are in the United States and the pricing is a little different as there
are a lot more radios per capita, but I sure could use some input.
Some input from you guys would be very helpful.

Attachments:
IMG_3988_resize.JPG
IMG_3988_resize.JPG [ 135.99 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
IMG_3989_resize.JPG
IMG_3989_resize.JPG [ 132.49 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
IMG_3990_resize.JPG
IMG_3990_resize.JPG [ 132.32 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
IMG_3991.JPG
IMG_3991.JPG [ 88.08 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]

Post subject: Re: I need some help with pricing several radios.
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 4:09 pm 

Looks like just about everything there is of good quality and collectable, no junk. I'm guessing that the pioneering Bell telephone microphones and reproducers are reproductions. Price the collection to sell and not to look at. Don't assign them Ebay prices. In that case it would be easier just to buy similar items directly from Ebay and not have to drive great distances to get them. Best to assign those items to "local walk in " pricings and not to the world wide shipping Ebay pricings. Maybe go 1/2 to 1/4 what normally goes for on Ebay. I'm assuming this estate sales company will discount the prices as the days go buy as to insure that everything gets sold at the end of the sale. If the estate sales company insists on Ebay pricings or their stubborn on their prices then I think they'll get stuck with most of the collection, at the end of the sale, and deservedly so.

Price this collection so that the very people who would truly appreciate these items can afford them just like the original owner did. You don't want to deal with the professional flippers who will want to buy what's left over at the end of the sale, for next to nothing, just because those items were over priced to begin with.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 4:24 pm 

Thanks Michael. I don't know for sure but I think that there are no reproductions,
but I won't know until I see the stuff in person.

I really don't have a good idea of the speakers. If they are genuine, then what might they be worth?
$50.00 or $200.00. I want to be fair in my evaluations but some items might be very collectable
and I would like to know if anyone sees any that fall into that category.
thanks Dan in Calgary.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 5:14 pm 

Estate sales with price tags on each item is a turn off when I walk into one. I ask are you taking offers and they reply" come back tomorrow for the last couple hours of the sale". With the amount you have there, I'd rent a U-Haul cube van, rent a hall like American Legion, pay a auctioneer and advertise weeks in advance. At the auctions end the left overs are put to the buyers choice, bring up what you want and start the bidding @ $10.00. Anything else left you sell off in table lots. Nothing left over this way. JMO

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 6:00 pm 

The top row duo-cone speakers can be over $200 if in good working order and also
look nice. I don;t know how replacement cones change prices. "Northern Electric"
speakers are more valuable here in the US than the equivalent "Western Electric.
I bought a Northern one at a meet for over $200, and he sold another Western one for less.
But mine was playing and sounded real good.
But in Canada it may be different.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 6:06 pm 

Looks like your relatively remote location is quite a disadvantage for your purposes. I see alot of money there but turning the items into cash is really a problem when you are presumably so far from alot of collectors. Why is ebay out of consideration? Seems to me that the smaller items like mics and phones would be ideal fodder for that venue. If you have to depend on local sales, I would fear that you might end up with "giveaway" prices on alot of it. Especially the larger and heavy stuff. Ebay or online sales would be time consuming and I would think a person undertaking that path would be entitled to a percentage of the sales but if they sell online for twice or three times what they can go for locally, it might be worthwhile. There are "professional" ebay sellers that take a cut and handle everything, in some areas. That still gets you maximum exposure to the Canadian and US markets, if no overseas shipping is considered. Hopefully there can be a deal with a pro to handle any issues such as shipping damage or unhappy buyers. That should be their responsibility as the marketer and middleman. Or you can contact any local ham radio clubs in the region at least as far as ham radio stuff and their members might be willing to buy stuff locally. They would list the ham stuff on their websites or newsletters maybe.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 6:23 pm 

I guess if I was running the sale I would try implement some of you ideas, as they are quite valid.

I was asked to help price these items, and the estate sales people decide how they are going to sell them.
After knowing the estate company for several years I know they are not going to want to do anything like ebay. they just sell the items for the people who hire them to do so.
I do appreciate all you opinions on this , and I only wish I could get them into the hands of people who appreciate the items.
Dan in Calgary

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 6:37 pm 

Well without seeing the items close it would be difficult to price stuff like that especially with the large numbers. Those carbon mics with spring suspension go for a goodly sum. I got a nice looking one for 150$ and thought it was a steal as nice ones often go for twice that, but specific ones can be more. Ham radio stuff has a more accurate market value than antiques. As it is modern stuff and there is plenty of sales info. In general terms alot of the old table radios can sell from 20-100 but that depends on the individual model and condition. IF your initial prices are what the market will bear, you will discourage alot of buyers, if you price to move fast you will attract alot of flippers that know nothing but that they are probably desirable collectibles. Trying to price and move that collection locally is something I do not envy you. I can pretty well say that a local sale of the stuff will not realize maximum value unless there is a notably substantial group of collectors in your area. Perhaps maximizing advertising of the items in the sale beforehand might bring more interest.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 6:45 pm 

As mentioned previously, in your location it's going to be next to impossible to sell much of it or get anywhere near the value of many items. Not enough people who are radio collectors to support the kind of pricing that estate sale liquidators usually go with. I doubt they will be able to sell even 1/4 of it, unless the sale is well promoted and advertised in other areas up to several hundred miles away on Craigslist or on the estate sale websites so interested people could consider driving there to get a few of the less common items.

In my area I attend many of the sales and they always look things up on eBay then start with the highest eBay price, which isn't going to work with the very limited interest from the general public for radio related items. On the last day they are at 50% which is still too high on much of the stuff. What's left over at the end sells to pickers who resell on eBay or online venues like Craigslist, they come in with trucks and take everything that's left in a room for one price that they negotiate with the dealer. Some will even buy everything that's left in the whole house but they get it dirt cheap, at that point the estate sale liquidator only wants to fulfill their contract with the owner of the stuff to have the house empty and get some money for the owner, and that's how they do it.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 12:22 am 

Hard to assess items without close up photos of each one, inside and out. Working, not working. Does look like a great collection. If you can fine a radio guy in your area to go through it and price everything, it might be worth a reasonable fee.

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 12:26 am 

In your locale, I'd go Ebay.

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 12:35 am 

Here's an idea. Assess the value of the entire collection, donate the collection to a non profit antique radio club and write off the value of the donation on the families taxes. This way the family wins, the radio club wins because they can either display the radios or sell them off to raise funds for the club, but Canada looses because they will be getting less in taxes then usual.

https://canadianvintageradio.com/about/ ... s/alberta/

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 1:13 am 

If this collection is the one just south of Edmonton
with an estimated population of 835,000

surely there will be a few Radio guys in the area... :)

Greg.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:38 am 

I see photos of several 1920s speakers but hardly any photos of the radios.
In the last photo I can barely make out what might be a Leutz Model C:

This radio may be worth $1000 to $2000, or more. I might travel 900-1000 miles to acquire such a radio at an auction. However, being at an estate sale, I doubt that I would travel more that 200 miles. There is too much chance of the collection being cherry picked long before I got there. They would probably be lucky to get $400 for the Leutz at an estate sale.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:44 am 

Duane B wrote:
I see photos of several 1920s speakers but hardly any photos of the radios.
In the last photo I can barely make out what might be a Leutz Model C:

This radio may be worth $1000 to $2000, or more. I might travel 900-1000 miles to acquire such a radio at an auction. However, being at an estate sale, I doubt that I would travel more that 200 miles. There is too much chance of the collection being cherry picked long before I got there. They would probably be lucky to get $400 for the Leutz at an estate sale.

Looks like a Deforest under that one. I don't think that they have you pictures of the real valuable pieces of the collection as it looks like a room full of battery radios.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:47 am 

As Duane pointed out the interesting items are off in the distance in the other room. There appears to be a DeForest MR6 Interpanel set sitting below the maybe Leutz and on the bottom shelf sits a Marconi Induction coil. It appears the "valuable" items are in that room.
Alan
Attachment:
Sale 2.jpg
Sale 2.jpg [ 70.19 KiB | Viewed 1041 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:07 pm 

I'm guessing that that Leutz is a C-7 based on seeing that there's only 3 hookup posts situated at the lower left corner of the receiver's front panel. If that receiver is a pure Leutz receiver then it would be valued around $1000 to $1500 in nice original condition. I'd price it at $500 for the estate sale. It's still a lot of money but low enough to pretty much guarantee a sale. Discount it as the days go buy, during the sale, to whatever price it takes to sell it.

To give you an idea, this Leutz C-7 sold at the 2017 ARCI Radiofest Friday evening auction, in a hall full of serious collectors, for only $100. There was nothing really wrong with it except for a few extra added controls. That kind of shows you how much values can swing.

Here's another crazy idea. Once you've established the final 1st. day prices on everything, post a list on everything that's available with opening prices and state how much of a discount there will be for each following day of the sale. This will take away the fear that this will be an overpriced show and may encourage more collectors to attend, especially collectors who may have to drive long distances to attend the sale. Remember, your catering to a very small, narrow, educated, and highly specified buying base and not to the mass general public. Most of the general public wouldn't even know what half of that stuff is let alone pay any kind of big bucks for it. That's the problem with trying to sell such a large quantity of very specific items quick and hassle free.