Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 22, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Console Stereophonic High Fidelity Am FM Radio &
PostPosted: Jul Sat 08, 2006 11:29 pm 

Hi!

I own a Zenith Console Stereophonic High Fidelity Am FM Radio with Cobramatic LP Player with 4 speeds. I would like to know more information about this Console and it has been very difficult for me to find any data on this model. I am including all the information I found behind the set. Some numbers do not have any meaning attached to them but I still wanted to include them in case it helped at all. My model has one door on the top that opens and two speakers in front with a ivory cloth like material covering them.

Can someone help me or can direct me to someone that can help me?

MODEL # SFD2505WT
102-5678-L.P.
117AC VOLTS, 60 CYCLES, 105 WATTS, 110 AMPS

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2006 12:09 am 

Hi,
Can you post a picture of it?

105 WATTS, 110 AMPS
That's probably 1.10 amps ?

Is this perhaps one of the low wide consoles from the 70's? If so, they are really not in demand by collectors compared to other sets. They sound great though but because fo their size they are not very collectable as of yet.

Someone here will know the year made by that model number. What other info are you looking for in this set?
Gary.

Post subject: Zenith SFD2505W Images
PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2006 12:42 am 

I will try to post an image if I can figure out how to do it on this forum. I am new to the forum and still a Rookie.

I would think that this Cosnole seems to be from an earlier model than the 70' as it has 16, 33, 45, and 78 speed on the Cobramatic Phonograph.

I would like to know the model year, how rare it is, how many were made, anyone who may have one, user's manual, and service manuals.

Thanks Gary!
[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2006 2:51 am 

Service information can be found in Sams Photofact folder 462-19, from late 1959. So it's probably a 1960 model.

Post subject: Power to Cobramatic LP Player
PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2006 4:27 pm 

Thanks Tom!

OK so Service manuals usually go out 1 year before the Radio is produced. Understood and thanks!

How can I know how many were produced? It seems this type of Console is not popular around collectors like Gary said.

The Cobramatic LP PLayer is not getting any power when I try to set it to Phono. The light does not even turn on. Would anyone dare to venture what may be wrong? Could it be multiple things or if it is electrical, would it most likely be a coil or fuse, or somenting like that?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2006 5:48 pm 

Hi Melvin,

Radios were similar to cars back then. The next year's model usually came out sometime between mid summer and early fall. If your unit is a 1960 model, it probably first began appearing at dealers sometime between June and August of 1959. Service manuals seem to coincide around the same time the radio came out, but there are a few exceptions.

If the phono isn't getting any power at all, start by checking your wiring connections. Then move on to fuses. Start simple and work your way toward the more complicated stuff. I am not familiar with this particular unit, but a lot of radio/phono combos had a plug where the phono plugged into the main chassis of the radio.

PM me for my email address

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2006 5:57 pm 

First, make sure that the turntable motor and idler wheel bearings are not frozen up. Take the turntable off (it's held on with a retainer clip on the spindle) and see if the motor runs. A hardened drive wheel may not drive the turntable, especially if the grease on the spindle bearing is also hardened.

This could be a VM (Voice Of Music) changer. When I was a bench tech, I had a procedure to rework them. It basically was cleaning and relubrication of the cam, slide, spindle, and drive wheel bearings. I would then add a few drops of oil to the motor bearings, replace the drive wheel, and the stylus.

If the motor is not getting any power, it could be a bad AC switch on the changer or on the function switch in the receiver chassis.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2006 6:59 pm 

Tim, Zenith82, thanks!

This is very helpful. I will check right now everything you have recommended and will let you know the outcome.

By the way, how can I post pictures in this forum? I would like to get a feeling from all of you on how popular this radio/Phonograph this might be.

Thanks!

Melvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2006 11:44 pm 

Hi!

I checked the electrical cords and glass tubes and all seem to be connected and the glass tubes light up when radio is on as well as phono. I took them out and back in.

All of a sudden, it started working! I must have moved somenthing!!!

I tried an old Beatles Record I had and it worked but only when almost at maximum volume. This makes me think I will need a new needle. Is this a correct assumption?

I think that I am going to need a needle to test it anyway.

How could I get a working needle for the Cobramatic LP Player?

Thanks to all for helping!

Melvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2006 12:13 am 

you might need your pickup restored I'm unsure if yours would have a crystal pickup but if it does id talk to syl who rebuilds them and is a member of this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2006 7:14 pm 

If you think that your changer might be Voice of Music check this site out http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/other.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Tue 11, 2006 5:03 pm 

Thanks Tube Radio!

How would I know if it is Voice of Music?

Thanks!

Melvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Tue 11, 2006 5:12 pm 

Now that the LP Player is working it works on and off. Does it need to warm up like the radio? It is strange it just works sporadically and it seems not to get any electricity when it is not working although I can hear a hissing sound when in on position.

I know it is a hard question without actually physically seeing the console but would this be electrical or Mechanical?

Thanks!

Melvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Tue 11, 2006 5:17 pm 

Melvin,

If you send me the pictures of the turntable, I can post them here for you.

I can also probably send you scans of the service information for Your model or a very similar one and tell you what kind of pickup (cartridge) it uses, if you include pictures of that part of the TT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Tue 11, 2006 8:04 pm 

The record player should look like this one. This is a Zenith Cobra-Matic S-14084. It's dirty now. I don't know the set it came from or it may have come to me as is. I will check it someday. The insert is the type of cartridge used. This is a NOS cartridge, the red thing is a protective cap for the needle end. But Melvin, information available or not does not indicate an item is rare or worth anything. These type of sets were made by others. I believe Magnavox is more desired. They aren't worth too much. One of the best thing about these type of sets is the tube amplifier. Let's see if I get this picture loaded right.

Bill J

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/ ... 08302.jpg'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Tue 11, 2006 9:21 pm 

Thanks Bill!

Melvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Tue 11, 2006 11:11 pm 

Here are 2 of Melvin's pictures.

It looks to be in pretty clean condition.

The Turntable is definitely a V-M.

Although only the turnunder handle of the cartridge is showing, it looks more like an Electrovoice EV26, rather than an Astatic 13T, to me.

The EV 26 has 2 snap on metal clip stylii, while the 13T has a non-replaceable stylus that is part of the plug in cartridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Tue 11, 2006 11:58 pm 

Brian,

You are correct, the stylus does say EV 26. How hard would it be to find an original EV 26 for this model? Would this be the reason the LP Player sometimes turns and sometimes it doesn't?

Thanks!

Melvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Wed 12, 2006 12:27 am 

no it wouldnot but you may wanr to look inthe back and see if the power conector is lose you cantellit because it wil be the set of wires from the changer without rca ends