Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 22, 2018 9:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fix for Rattles in Tube Bases?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 28, 2018 12:16 am 

Hello All,

I recently received a tube with rattles in the base. I thought of an idea for a potential fix, but I am also open to other options (which I imagine could be something like "Don't shake it and it won't rattle - just plug it in and be done.").

My idea:

1. Drill a small hole in the bottom of the base, where the connector pins are, and close to the edge of the tube.
2. Hold the tube base end up at a slight angle so all of the rattle-y pieces are nestled into one area of the rim between the tube base and tube bottle.
3. Mix a small batch of thinned epoxy (or similar adhesive) and use a syringe with a small tip to inject the adhesive into the base. Make sure the tip goes nearly to the rim area where the rattle-y stuff is. No sense in using excess - only need enough to bond the pieces to the base wall.

Comments:

1. I would not use cyanoacrylate as that outgasses and may corrode the wire connections. I would need to investigate what types of adhesives do not have corrosive outgas properties.
2. This idea would be easiest to try on 4-pin tubes as there is plenty of space to move around inside with the syringe tip and the bonding could even be done do the base sidewall if there is a concern of the tube bulb getting too warm.
3. I would need to find some good adhesive that would be easily deposited using a syringe with a small tip.
4. Drilling would need to be done very carefully to avoid cracking and chipping of the base. Maybe melting with a hot brad would be better.

Soooo... Sound reasonable? Perhaps someone has already done such a thing and maybe this is nothing new. Suggestions and comments are welcome.

Thanks for listening.

Best Regards,

Greenhorn

Post subject: Re: Fix for Rattles in Tube Bases?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 28, 2018 1:36 am 

So why not desolder the pins and remove the rattling stuff?

jason

PostPosted: Mar Wed 28, 2018 2:25 am 

Quote:
Maybe melting with a hot brad would be better.

Tube bases are usually phenolic or something similar. They don't melt; they just burn. If you want to drill, you also have to be careful not to hit the glass.

If the tube works, why does the rattle bother you? What do you propose to do about the tubes with the loose object inside the glass (I have a few of those; it's more common than inside the base)?

PostPosted: Mar Sat 31, 2018 12:43 am 

Good suggestion: So why not desolder the pins and remove the rattling stuff?

My problem is I have little skill in desoldering pins, removing bases, and then reinstalling/regluing bases back on. With my luck I would resolder the pins incorrectly.

I have a feeling I will just live with the tube the way it is. It only rattles when it’s handled.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 12, 2018 10:22 pm 

Greenhorn wrote:
Good suggestion: So why not desolder the pins and remove the rattling stuff?

My problem is I have little skill in desoldering pins, removing bases, and then reinstalling/regluing bases back on. With my luck I would resolder the pins incorrectly.

I have a feeling I will just live with the tube the way it is. It only rattles when it’s handled.

I think that's a good feeling! It gets my vote.

"This is the last radio I will ever buy, dear; I promise"