Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 01, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Good use for broken Atwater Kent copper drive belts
PostPosted: Mar Tue 27, 2012 10:04 pm 

I was replacing the speaker cord on my A-K Type "M" horn, and realized that I did not happen to have any fine wire to wrap the tinsel wires in the cord with prior to soldering. I had just replaced the tuning drive bands on my Model 35 a couple of weeks ago, as one of the old ones was broken and the other was corroded badly. I noticed when I took the connectors off the old speaker cord that there was a thin band of metal wrapped around the end of the cord where it was soldered into the connectors, and not a wire wrap. I sanded the oxidation off the end of the broken drive band, then wrapped it around a small screwdriver to get a tube started. I wrapped the curled copper piece around the end of the wire, partially enclosing the fabric insulation, melted some fresh solder into the connector, and pushed the end of the speaker wire into the connector until the copper band was covered. The copper band not only serves the same purpose as a wire wrap would, but also crimps down on the insulation to help keep it from fraying!

Post subject: Re: Good use for broken Atwater Kent copper drive belts
PostPosted: Mar Wed 28, 2012 8:16 pm 

Nice!