Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Fri 23, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Competing Auctions within YOUR auction do you like it or not
PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 10:01 pm 

Perhaps you don't even realize that YOUR AUCTIONS have this stuff being advertised within your auctions? If you haven't said NO to Ebay then your auctions will have others competing auctions within your auction. To check this sign OUT and then go find one of your auctions like anyone else would find it without signing into Ebay. That is what your auction looks like to people browsing to find whatever it is they want to buy or bid on.

Yes you can get rid of that it. To Opt out do the following.

Sellers can opt out of this by going to Acct > from the pull down menu select >Marketing Tools > Promote Similar Items (on left). States that other sellers' items won't be displayed on your listings if you select No. So Select NO and then hit the grey ADD Promotions button.

That eliminates the problem from any new auctions. To eliminate it from any current auctions go to Revise your auction. Add anything to the description after it saves hit the Revise button at the end of that page.

John k9uwa

Post subject: Re: Competing Auctions within YOUR auction do you like it or
PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 12:18 am 

My Account Page doesn't have that option, or at least I don't see it. Maybe because I'm a little seller. It does have the option of having MY items promoted that way.
Remember, I go to other people's funerals so they''ll come to mine.
"Cross-Promotion: Settings
Having eBay cross-promote your items is a great way to increase your sales. When a buyer shows interest in one of your items (such as by placing a bid), eBay will display your other items to the buyer. Note: Other sellers' items will not be cross-promoted in your listings. Learn more about participating in cross-promotions."

PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 1:48 am 

AuroraOldRadios wrote:
My Account Page doesn't have that option, or at least I don't see it. Maybe because I'm a little seller. It does have the option of having MY items promoted that way.
Remember, I go to other people's funerals so they''ll come to mine.
"Cross-Promotion: Settings
Having eBay cross-promote your items is a great way to increase your sales. When a buyer shows interest in one of your items (such as by placing a bid), eBay will display your other items to the buyer. Note: Other sellers' items will not be cross-promoted in your listings. Learn more about participating in cross-promotions."

Take a look at this auction for an Eye Tube.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wizzard-6G5-Magic-Eye-Vacuum-Tube/302255785566

If that were your auction would you be happy with several other eye tube auctions stuck in the middle of your auction? Yes ahead of your description for your tube there are four other eye tubes advertised.

Or check out this auction for a 12AX7 tube.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-in-Box-Reissue-Genalex-Gold-Lion-12AX7-ECC83-B759-GOLD-PINS-Vacuum-Tube/122340604220

Long before you get to the description of this guys tube your inundated with other peoples sales for their 12ax7 tubes.

John k9uwa

PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 3:30 am 

That's because the people that looked at that auction looked at those other tubes. If they had looked at that tube and auctions of fuzzy bunnies instead (in great enough numbers) we'd be seeing auctions for fuzzy bunnies. That's why you often see totally irrelevant stuff there sometimes.

As a buyer I like it, I've found stuff that way I didn't even think of looking for.
Granted, sometimes a better deal on the same item of an auction I'm looking at. Could be looked as a way to keep sellers from posting ridiculous prices or buyers from impulse buying too high.
As a seller, yeah, might not be a great idea, but ebay has a lot of bad ideas for sellers. Sellers have very little protection compared to buyers. Guess it's good for me that I buy more than I sell.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 1:27 pm 

That's a feature that's great for buyers but a detriment for sellers. Just another example of Ebay's preference for the buyer and not the seller.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 1:50 pm 

That menu item is really buried on what EBay presents to me. I did find it. From My EBay page:

Click on Account
Go to site preferences
Look for promoting similar items
Click on marketing
Find cross promoting
Click on edit
Click on Do not cross promote my items
Click on apply.

Looks like it goes both ways. You are not promoted on other pages and no one is promoted on your page. I looked at several listings and I still see the cross advertising on items that I might choose to buy. So, as a buyer, you still see the cross advertising.

Ed

PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 4:22 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
That's a feature that's great for buyers but a detriment for sellers. Just another example of Ebay's preference for the buyer and not the seller.

That's why I only sell/trade here in the classifieds.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 4:45 pm 

When I first signed on to Ebay 1999 or so. I noticed the promotion on my auctions. I emailed them and was replied to in effect, "We provide the auction pages on our terms and may or not include other auctions or links". Back "then" ebay would actually reply with an email from a live body not a robot response.

I have not sold in many years I do not know if there are options, now, to actually prohibit the inclusion of other sale links.

That said, when I search for an item I always use those links to find the same item at a lower cost/shipping :|

O.T. I am convinced the search engine knows all about me, even if I do not sign in, via my IP address and stored browser cookies. Occasionally, I'll search from another computer on a different node so my IP address and any cookies are not used to identify me and specifically tailor the search from past searches or purchases.

When fellow ARF members post finding items. I can search for the same item and not find it. I am convinced that ebay manipulates the buyer and the seller and not always to the good of either.

Chas

PostPosted: Mar Tue 21, 2017 10:29 pm 

Chas wrote:

O.T. I am convinced the search engine knows all about me, even if I do not sign in, via my IP address and stored browser cookies. Occasionally, I'll search from another computer on a different node so my IP address and any cookies are not used to identify me and specifically tailor the search from past searches or purchases.

When fellow ARF members post finding items. I can search for the same item and not find it. I am convinced that ebay manipulates the buyer and the seller and not always to the good of either.

Chas

Shall we start a conspiracy theory thread? :wink:
I dunno, who cares what the search engines or eBay do? If one wants total privacy, they don't belong on the net.

And AFA a private company like The Bay, it's their ball field, their rules. You can go to another stadium like Heritage, and get stung for a larger percentage, along with the buyer getting dinged as well.

I've been on The Bay since spring 1998, and although it was better then, starting with a 4.99% seller fee and payment anyway you wanted, it's still the 800 pound Gorilla in the room.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 22, 2017 12:17 am 

Just think though. Your auctions could also be showing up in the same place, on your competitor's listings.

I actually use this feature, other people's listings showing up on mine, to my advantage.

For most of the stuff I have listed, I'm probably the only guy on eBay with one so it doesn't matter, but for commodity items where I have to compete I've priced myself a few cents below the other options so I'll show up first in the main listing. This promotional "other similar items" will show nothing but more expensive items in my view, and I'm the cheap option competing with some other guy's listing, too.

It seems to work for me, anyway, but hard numbers would be tough to come by. I could see it being more of a challenge to an occasional seller vs. someone maintaining an eBay store.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 22, 2017 3:59 am 

fifties wrote:
Chas wrote:
I am convinced that ebay manipulates the buyer and the seller and not always to the good of either.

Shall we start a conspiracy theory thread? :wink:

It's neither a conspiracy nor a theory.

I received a policy change email from eBay maybe 5 years ago, announcing that eBay's new search engine they were rolling out at the time would, "Tailor your search results to your buying habits," and warning that it "may not return every item that matches your query." It was very explicit and out in the public.

Wish I'd kept that email. Didn't know I'd need it. :wink:

[Of course, having said that, I've also had the experience of going to eBay, searching for something someone talked about here, and not finding it. Later, after more searching and eventual finding, I realize that the search the user described here, could never match the eBay auction they were talking about. Some people paraphrase more often than they copy-paste.]

PostPosted: Mar Wed 22, 2017 4:47 pm 

MrFixIt wrote:
Could be looked as a way to keep sellers from posting ridiculous prices...

That would be an example of a failed policy, then. :-)