Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 23, 2017 3:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Only around $280 per radio!! Err..umm..yeah
PostPosted: Sep Thu 14, 2017 8:04 am 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Radio-c ... 0005.m1851

"Most work just fine and the lights and dials and colors are great. There are a couple that have the weird frequency light thingy on the face when you tune stations in. I don't have list yet of all the models but will add in the next few days."

But hey the colors are great and that weird frequency light thingy is on a couple too. Technical description for sure. :roll: :lol:

All good radios and I'd welcome them into my collection at any time but wow...not sure how they arrived on the high pricing?

Post subject: Re: Only around $280 per radio!! Err..umm..yeah
PostPosted: Sep Thu 14, 2017 2:56 pm 

I'm under the impression that it's not the collector who's selling this collection but somebody else. Someone who's crass enough to stack up such nice old radios just for photographic purposes. I'm guessing that the actual collector may have passed away or is at a nursing home right now and this is just part of his estate in which this seller has taken upon himself to sell off.

Quote:
There are a couple that have the "weird frequency light thingy" on the face when you tune stations in.

Sorry, this is not how a dedicated and knowledgeable collector would describe part of his collection.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 14, 2017 9:52 pm 

About half of them are fairly common and not particularly valuable. Slash the price by 2/3rd and then maybe we would get a smidgen closer to actual value.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 15, 2017 2:16 am 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
About half of them are fairly common and not particularly valuable. Slash the price by 2/3rd and then maybe we would get a smidgen closer to actual value.

I don't know... I see about $1000 at best there. Nothing special, nothing rare, nothing very old. I like that big tombstone, but that's about it.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 16, 2017 12:38 am 

Looks like just about all common, run-of-the-mill sets. I'm seeing maybe $750-$1k to the right buyer. To a re-seller, maybe half that.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Sep Sat 16, 2017 3:47 am 

See, this is why I specialize in prewar bakelite sets. Probably 95%+ of the table radios produced before the war were wood. A radio back then was as much a piece of furniture as a piece of electronics, and thus wood cabinets were in far greater demand. It wasn't until after the war and the rush of pent up demand for radios that US manufacturers figured out that plastic cabinets were cheaper to produce, thus the gazillions of Emerson 301 clones that were produced in the second half of the 40s. As the radio collectors of the 80s and 90s move on to The Great Swapmeet In The Sky, a lot of boomers will be stuck with this sort of problem-boring radios that nobody wants but that the heirs desperately need to dump to pay debts. Hopefully the heirs will have the sense to pull the tubes before junking the radios. I have been looking for over a year and found exactly THREE prewar streamline deco bakelite sets, and I count my Packard-Bell since even though it's a '46 it was obviously made with a prewar design.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 11:28 pm 

Seller may realize he will have to bargain downward so starts with plenty of room. The sets are nice but I don't see any that are particularly interesting.

Does anyone know of someone successfully selling an entire collection in one shot in the last few years?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 11:53 pm 

I think most sellers wind up learning the hard way that it's is a buyer's market right now and will be for a very long time. If that seller want's to unload that collection, he/she will either have to allow some first come, first serve cherry picking or seriously lower their expectations in what they'll be able to get for that entire collection, especially a collection that comprises mostly of common and refinished radios.

Allen G wrote:
Does anyone know of someone successfully selling an entire collection in one shot in the last few years?

I believe all collections have eventually sold, just not the way the seller planned or liked for them to have sold. Three worst case examples that I can thing of are of the following sales.

A collection in Navada: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 08&start=0

A collection in Florida: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 1&t=236508

There was also a massive warehouse full of console radios somewhere in New York. I don't know how that ended.