Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 25, 2018 5:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Someone is selling my Missing radio!
PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2017 5:08 pm 

Interesting post. I sold a radio to a Canadian buyer a couple months ago. Same old story - seized in Erlanger KY. Yes, I kept the proceeds and the buyer was refunded. It was resold December 6; the same "reseller" not only used all my pics, but my exact description, word-for-word. Apparently, everything in an ebay listing becomes their property, and anyone can use it for their own purposes, as long as ebay ultimately benefits. When you think about it, there was no harm done to either me or the original buyer, other than rankling my feathers a little. In a way, maybe it's a back-handed compliment to my photographic and literary expertise. . . :wink:

Actually, ebay is making 20% on this sale - - not bad for something they probably wrote off of their balance sheet as a loss!

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2017 5:42 pm 

SparkyDan wrote:
Interesting post. I sold a radio to a Canadian buyer a couple months ago. Same old story - seized in Erlanger KY. Yes, I kept the proceeds and the buyer was refunded. It was resold December 6; the same "reseller" not only used all my pics, but my exact description, word-for-word. Apparently, everything in an ebay listing becomes their property, and anyone can use it for their own purposes, as long as ebay ultimately benefits. When you think about it, there was no harm done to either me or the original buyer, other than rankling my feathers a little. In a way, maybe it's a back-handed compliment to my photographic and literary expertise. . . :wink:

Actually, ebay is making 20% on this sale - - not bad for something they probably wrote off of their balance sheet as a loss!

Dan

Dan can you post your auction and the recent one both? And was it the same seller up in Michigan who sold the radio this time around?
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2017 6:04 pm 

Seems to me like eBay is dying to get scammed, the way they have the global shipping system set up.
What is to stop two "business" partners — one in the US, the other overseas — from colluding to sell/purchasese cheap worthless tubes for huge, audiofool money? For instance:

1. Buyer posts a crappy Zenith 6X5G rectifier tube for $1,000, buy it now.
2. His friend overseas in Italy gets the link, hits buy it now and pays seller, from a collective pool of money they both share presumably.
3. Seller ships tube to the Italian address. eBay seizes it, as both buyer and seller knew it would. Seller keeps the money, "buyer" gets a refund from eBay. eBay is now the proud owner of a $1,000 6X5.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is happening A LOT. From what I'm reading here eBay's system makes it really ripe for the picking.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2017 7:12 pm 

John - - here are the two listings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/302412466885

Now that's strange - - the "resold" listing no longer has an ebay item number, although my original one does. He must have deleted it to make it harder to figure out what he's doing. If you search ebay sold listings for a Zenith 7H820, you'll see it sold on December 6 from that Cass City outfit.

Interesting way to make a buck.

Dan
EDIT - - I just got off the phone from ebay, complaining about this "reseller" using my photos and word-for-word descriptions. He told me it is against ebay policy to use either one, and he's forwarding my listing and the reseller's listing to their fraud department. The ebay guy said that either all the seller's listings may be deleted, or his account will be cancelled. Of course, he'll just spring up under a different name, but at least it might give him some aggravation. . . .

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 8:46 pm 

It seems strange that Ebay would not set up a system where they would give the seller the option to either receive the money from the sale or the original item in the event that they cannot ship the item overseas. That really wouldn't cost Ebay any more money than the current system, which seems ripe with the potential for fraud.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 9:06 pm 

SparkyDan wrote:
Dan
EDIT - - I just got off the phone from ebay, complaining about this "reseller" using my photos and word-for-word descriptions. He told me it is against ebay policy to use either one, and he's forwarding my listing and the reseller's listing to their fraud department. The ebay guy said that either all the seller's listings may be deleted, or his account will be cancelled. Of course, he'll just spring up under a different name, but at least it might give him some aggravation. . . .

Very interesting...
I called them and did the same thing. They did nothing and said I had to file with VERO separately.
Of course I am way too nice to people so they probably just took advantage that I did not flip out and demand a manager.
I dont see this doing anything though. He makes them a lot more money that I do so thats what they care about.
Of course a legal action would make them think twice but none of us have the $$ or time to go forward with that..

If he got cancelled I would probably pee myself with joy. He was not a nice person in our correspondences. Lets see how he does with having to photograph and describe every radio he sells.

Kirk

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 3:01 am 

Never heard of Pitney-Bowes in the shipping business.
When did they start? Suppose I could google it but..

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 3:09 pm 

majortom wrote:
Never heard of Pitney-Bowes in the shipping business.
When did they start? Suppose I could google it but..

Look at the EBay shipping labels you print out at home for sold items, Pitney Bowels is on the bottom of label.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 5:32 pm 

The two auctions are:

The original auction from Dan https://www.ebay.com/itm/302412466885

And the one from seller 8ten1944 Cass City Michigan https://www.ebay.com/itm/162790496278
Current Feedback score for 8ten1944 of Cass City Michigan is 18003 and they have 12,432 currently running auctions.

This seller 8ten1944 has only been a member of Ebay with this moniker since User ID Aug-03-2016.

Trust me this outfit has a "Deal" with Ebay to purchase all these boxed up goods. And they have access to the original auction for pictures descriptions sale price auction or BIN. Scan all that into the new auction and off it goes to be resold.
Keep in mind that Ebay has sold their Global Shipping operation to another company and yet this same seller is still buying the confiscated goods and reselling them. My guess is that somehow it is legal or else it wouldn't be happening on the scale that this stuff is being handled. Our only defense is to OPT OUT of the ebay global shipping system. I for one never opted into it. All us Oldsters on Ebay were given that choice when they came up with Global Shipping. Then new users signing up to Ebay were automatically included in Global shipping. And now if you look carefully when setting up your auction and auction template you can opt OUT if you want to do so.

Good Luck
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 7:16 pm 

John,

Ebay reselling confiscated items isn't illegal at all. It's no different than how your insurance company owns your car once they 'total' it and pay you for it. You could go to Pull-A-Part and find your old car sitting there after the insurance company sold it for salvage. It's a weird feeling for sure, but there's nothing wrong with a company trying to recoup their losses.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 8:38 pm 

jack.estes wrote:
John,

Ebay reselling confiscated items isn't illegal at all. It's no different than how your insurance company owns your car once they 'total' it and pay you for it. You could go to Pull-A-Part and find your old car sitting there after the insurance company sold it for salvage. It's a weird feeling for sure, but there's nothing wrong with a company trying to recoup their losses.

Jack The complaint is that these items should never have be confiscated to start with. There is nothing in US customs laws that say these items are illegal to ship out of this country. Yet Ebay is confiscating them.
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 9:52 pm 

k9uwa wrote:
The two auctions are:

The original auction from Dan https://www.ebay.com/itm/302412466885

And the one from seller 8ten1944 Cass City Michigan https://www.ebay.com/itm/162790496278
Current Feedback score for 8ten1944 of Cass City Michigan is 18003 and they have 12,432 currently running auctions.

This seller 8ten1944 has only been a member of Ebay with this moniker since User ID Aug-03-2016.

Trust me this outfit has a "Deal" with Ebay to purchase all these boxed up goods. And they have access to the original auction for pictures descriptions sale price auction or BIN. Scan all that into the new auction and off it goes to be resold.
Keep in mind that Ebay has sold their Global Shipping operation to another company and yet this same seller is still buying the confiscated goods and reselling them.

John;

so what?

The original seller keeps his/her original payment, the buyer gets fully refunded, and that's really the only concern, isn't it? I mean, yeah it's too bad that the original purchaser gets screwed out of the item, but both buyer and seller aren't out any $ because of this scheme.

What difference does it make if an item is sold to an individual, who then turns around and resells it, using the original sellers description and scans (which wouldn't be needed by him anymore anyways), or to this particular company? Who cares?

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 10:57 pm 

fifties wrote:
so what?

The original seller keeps his/her original payment, the buyer gets fully refunded, and that's really the only concern, isn't it? I mean, yeah it's too bad that the original purchaser gets screwed out of the item, but both buyer and seller aren't out any $ because of this scheme.

What difference does it make if an item is sold to an individual, who then turns around and resells it, using the original sellers description and scans (which wouldn't be needed by him anymore anyways), or to this particular company? Who cares?

So Fifties if you had just won an auction from Germany for some transistor radio that they had only built 25 of them so it is one of the rarest of rare ones. Then instead of getting the radio you get your money back because that guy was also shipping with Ebays Global Shipping system and they confiscated your radio. Now you will never be able to find another one ever. Would you be happy or teed off? I know I wouldn't be a happy camper about it.
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 11:05 pm 

k9uwa wrote:
fifties wrote:
so what?

So Fifties if you had just won an auction from Germany for some transistor radio that they had only built 25 of them so it is one of the rarest of rare ones. Then instead of getting the radio you get your money back because that guy was also shipping with Ebays Global Shipping system and they confiscated your radio. Now you will never be able to find another one ever. Would you be happy or teed off? I know I wouldn't be a happy camper about it.
John k9uwa

John, I'm simply looking at it from an American based seller's POV, wherein no financial loss has occurred between the two original parties. Any wrath on the buyer's part would be or should be against eBay.

Now that said, he apparently does indeed have a second chance at it, since this particular outfit re-lists what they get from eBay confiscations, so all may not be lost, at least sometimes.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 11:37 pm 

fifties wrote:
First, and right up front, I don't care and will explain why later.

Having said that, there actually is a relatively small hitch.

Now the buyer was refunded and the seller got to keep the purchase funds. So that's pretty good so far. Of course the buyer might argue the item was worth more to him than what he paid for it, but that's a subjective thing and not readily quantifiable (that $10 item was worth a million to me because it's the only one I can find and it's just like the one my grandpa had).

Then Ebay auctions off all the intercepted items and it is very probable that they only get a percentage of the original cost. So they take a loss which is only partially recovered by the auction price.

The person/company who bought the items gets a good deal and they probably make a profit so they are just fine.

The issue here is that Ebay does not operate at a loss. All losses are passed along to the users of Ebay in the form of fees in one form or another. Even if those fees are only placed on the sellers, the buyers are actually paying those as part of their purchase price. So the reality is that everyone using Ebay pays for the loss Ebay incurred by doing something stupid.

If Ebay did less stupid things, their operating costs would be lower and they might (hopefully) be able to keep their fees lower. It's all a matter of how much stupidity the market can bear. If they intercepted everything they would quickly be out of business. If they intercepted nothing they risk penalties for failing to meet international shipping regulations. Somewhere between these extremes is a "sweet spot."

Now, as to why I don't actually care. I don't sell on Ebay and I buy there very infrequently. So the amount of their stupidity I pay for is inconsequential.

This is something people generally fail to recognize. Any cost to a corporation (operating expenses, taxes, fines, permits, etc.) are ALWAYS passed along to the consumer in some way. If they don't do this they eventually go out of business. That Ebay recouped part of their supidity-losses by auctioning off items that they intercepted that they should not have, is a good thing. A better thing would have been to not intercept items that they should not intercept in the first place. Like people have said, stopping all vacuum tubes because SOME vacuum tubes contain Mercury is silly. But to someone who can't tell an 866 from an 813 what can you expect?

Conversely to our electrical shipping issues, imagine trying to make sure every shipped pottery item that is to be used for food does not contain Lead in the paint or glazing. The other big Lead issue is children's toys. That's how all kinds of kid's toys from China end up over here with Lead paint on them. The source doesn't care and the shippers and distributors are not checking. Eventually a consumer or regulatory agency finds out and fines ensue which once again get ultimately passed along to the consumer. Hopefully the source of the product also decides they would like to avoid the fines and rectify the problem. Otherwise they just change their name and ship under another label. :(

Ultimately I think Ebay may actually be trying to do the right thing in this case, but it's hard to get it right all of the time and also not irritate people excessively.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 12:09 am 

k9uwa wrote:
jack.estes wrote:
John,

Jack The complaint is that these items should never have be confiscated to start with. There is nothing in US customs laws that say these items are illegal to ship out of this country. Yet Ebay is confiscating them.
John k9uwa

I definitely agree with you there. I don't think EBay is concerned with customs regulations though, but rather simply getting sued over something...

Ultimately this doesn't really mess up domestic buyers, but I can see how some tube resellers are going to be hurting from it...

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 12:39 am 

Maybe the current Ebay offering isn't for a REAL radio at all.. only fake photos?
Maybe the seller is only posting YOUR old photos for a now non-existant radio.
Is that what you suspect? .. or is it that he somehow actually got his hands on your "missing" radio and is reselling it?

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 6:18 am 

Eickerman wrote:

If Ebay did less stupid things, their operating costs would be lower and they might (hopefully) be able to keep their fees lower.

You're dreaming Curtis, and you're too smart a guy not to realize that. Even at the doubled original rate (remember 4.99% FV fee?), they are still the least expensive auction site, not to mention the largest.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 1:04 pm 

fifties wrote:
You're dreaming Curtis...
Yeah, I know. That's why I said hopefully. :wink:

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 1:25 pm 

I guess I could care less if ebay were to run themselves out of business.
I have never sold anything on ebay or elsewhere and rarely buy anything but cheap chinese junk.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 81 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next