Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Wed 23, 2018 1:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nice GE in Florida
PostPosted: Jan Fri 12, 2018 1:44 pm 

Looks like a good performer and not a bad price!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192406265444

Noah

Post subject: Re: Nice GE in Florida
PostPosted: Jan Fri 12, 2018 3:47 pm 

I sure hate to hear about a nice cabinet going the "repurpose route" :evil: . Several years ago, another eBay seller offered the "big brother" (H51) to the radio in THIS listing (H31). It was located in Odessa, Texas (20 miles from me) at a starting price of $0.99! Because of the weight, if was a free pickup listing. It had a hideous faux "French" white/gold paint job on it. ANYHOW, I ended up buying it for $8.50!! I drove over and picked it up. Brought it home. Cleaned it up. It actually PLAYED with the tubes that were in it! It has been a great radio and NOW it looks great too! I was pleased to save the "old lady" from some unspeakable dump! Dave

PostPosted: Jan Fri 12, 2018 11:58 pm 

Well, I guess I didn't look far enough in the reading. I didn't read about it going to be re purposed. You are right on it being annoying to us collectors.

It isn't quite as good as I thought it was.

Noah

PostPosted: Jan Sat 13, 2018 1:02 pm 

The ad should read "We're destroying the cabinet and don't need the radio guts."

I really don't like some people :evil: .

PostPosted: Jan Sat 13, 2018 5:01 pm 

Maybe buy it along with this: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/atq/d/ ... 20749.html

And put it back together. The only problem is that you would have to patch the holes made by the modification.

-Unknown

PostPosted: Jan Sat 13, 2018 5:27 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Instead of whining about someone destroying a radio for which there is basically no market, why not just offer enough money to buy it complete? That way everyone gets what they want .... the seller gets their money, you get to save the radio and more history gets saved ..... win, win, win ??

I had one of those H31's in mint shape .... had it for most of my life .... bought it about the age of 16. About ten years ago I tried to sell it in anticipation of a move we were making. I couldn't give it away ... period. I finally parted it out and the parts vanished ... sold like hotcakes. I put the cabinet out to the raod for garbage day and it vanished too ... someone picked it up to repurpose...

Very few people want a plain cabinet radio that they cannot receive many radio stations on.

It's just life.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 12:12 pm 

For the record, I'm not "whining". I'm making a statement. I don't care for people destroying antiques. In this case an antique radio. I don't care if its a useless, non-functional common as crap GE or a top of the line Zenith. Its an antique and as far as I'm concerned they deserve at least a little respect. That does not include being gutted and painted or turned into a bar or something. I view antiques as a link to the past. A simple inanimate object to be sure but a physical link to a simpler world none the less. No I can't save them all. This is true but whats also true is I have the right to vocalize my disagreement with them being thrashed and not be called a whiner for doing it.

Rant/Statement over.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 2:17 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
badwaxcaps wrote:
For the record, I'm not "whining". I'm making a statement. I don't care for people destroying antiques.

Also for the record :

I dislike the idea that we (as a society) will destroy items of historical significance to the extent that they are extinct, making it impossible for those who come next to learn from our path thru' this life.

However ... I also place a certain value on "money where mouth is", and if I am not prepared to do that, I am not going to complain about those who take the best value from items that they own, even if they do it in a way that would not be of my choosing.

Not every item on the planet is historically significant .... or even close.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 16, 2018 12:02 am 

I agree John. I'm not angry or nothing. Just saying I was'nt whining. I am fully able to contend that I cannot save every antique. Hell half the time I can barely afford to save myself.