Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 22, 2018 9:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Internet sales tax to be decided by Supreme Court-New Info
PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 1:37 pm 

Soon, the Supreme Court will decide if internet sales tax must be collected by all sellers and paid by buyers using the internet sales venues, such as eBay and ETSY.
I am likely to not want to pay $200 for a radio and another $18 in sales tax.
How will this affect your buying and selling activities on the internet?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme-court-hears-case-on-online-sales-tax/

Last edited by decoflair on Apr Tue 17, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Internet sales tax case to be decided by Supreme Court
PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 1:45 pm 

I reluctantly accepted it as part of the money grab local/state governments are doing to increase revenues.
A lot of cities have gone to 3rd party tax dept's to get more, as they are more aggressive in collections.
School district taxes, etc. They go every angle available to get money.
If it actually helps the local area and/or state is questionable

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 4:04 pm 

decoflair wrote:
...How will this affect your buying and selling activities on the Internet?

It won't...

I have a Libre-Office form I developed for USE tax purposes and file a print of it with my return each year. The tax gets deducted from the state return.

I use the term "USE" along with "Sales Tax", in the MA laws, the term is separated but amounts to the same tax.

FWIW the MA official form requires the address of the seller. It gets kinda funky trying to put hànzì into the address box :lol:

I retain the initial email communication (sale) in a mail box on my Comcast email account. Split into a USE directory and a directory for vendors. Generally, I process the info as soon as it arrives and copy addresses from received shipments to the USE form. I used to do this once a year, when I may have had only 10 taxable purchases, but now asap.

Each state has different rules about when and what has to pay USE tax. In MA, there is no tax on "Occasional" and "Individual" sales, thus a yard sales are not reported.

Internet purchasers who wish to comply with their state should review what is taxed and what isn't.

Some 2nd party sellers on Amazon will collect the full tax rate for example MA, others will collect the rate for the state in which the seller resides. MA will refund any excess use tax that another state collects, however, the resident must make up the difference to the MA current rate if the rate charged for the item is less than MA. One must also be wary tax is on the item, not the shipping. Often very difficult to determine the shipping as well as recover a brick and mortar address for the seller both on ebay and Amazon. This may be true of Etsy as well.

IMHO If it was a "serious" or even "Professional" collector, buying, selling to enhance my collection which essentially has a cash value and creates income. Then setting up a business environment would allow for the use of a Sales tax exemption. With the exemption, all supplies, materials and acquisitions would be tax exempt. However, local laws may apply as to conducting a business in specific zoned areas or Parishes. One has to look very carefully when going into business.

YMMV how one deals with USE tax, for me it is a matter of getting the smile from my CPA that my taxes are as complete and as accurate as possible.

Chas

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 6:47 pm 

Those loss figures are BS. For one thing, they're best-case and assume that adding a sales tax will result in practically no decline in sales.

It would be most amusing if the national population as a whole stopped buying things as much/often and the states started losing more than they currently claim is occurring due to lack of these additional sources of sales tax. See how fast they all try to do away with sales tax then.

Pure money grab. If this passes, I'm sure it won't long before there's no tax-free grocery item in any state, either.

Then they'll finally try to tax the air we breathe, at least in pollution prone states (and probably others, since.. you know.. drift and all :wink: ). It's one of few things that aren't taxed already. The tax on that will naturally be significant, since somehow it will suddenly be necessary to, for example, hire more inspectors to ensure compliance by industry (chemical plants/refineries/etc.).
Oh, it may be variable, sort of like the water bill. Heck, it may even become a utility instead of a flat tax. "We estimate you inhaled x amount of clean air, and exhaled x amount of CO2 back into the environment. You owe $x amount."

I have to admit it kind of ticked me off when Amazon started charging me sales tax. OTOH, I realized that I can find things on Amazon at a decent price that are just not available at all locally for me, and have it delivered to my door so I wouldn't have to spend time and gas money driving to go find it out of town.
It may make the difference for me on big ticket items. If my budget allows me to purchase a piece of test gear, for example, at $700 + shipping, the extra TX sales tax will be high enough that I'll back off. Now, somebody else may take my place, perhaps in another state, but my state will have lost out on that tax (again, if the buyer was in another state). Of course, it could be argued that they wouldn't have gotten anything anyway if I paid no tax on it. It basically denies me the item and possibly the tax goes to another state instead.

I wonder how they're planning to collect taxes from eBay's Chinese vendors, for example, because a lot of those ship from warehouses in the states. I'd love to see the level of compliance from them. Perhaps foreign sellers will be exempted. I can hear the cries of foul now.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 7:51 pm 

Vin Tageman wrote:

I have to admit it kind of ticked me off when Amazon started charging me sales tax. OTOH, I realized that I can find things on Amazon at a decent price that are just not available at all locally for me, and have it delivered to my door so I wouldn't have to spend time and gas money driving to go find it out of town.
It may make the difference for me on big ticket items. If my budget allows me to purchase a piece of test gear, for example, at $700 + shipping, the extra TX sales tax will be high enough that I'll back off.

From my understanding, Amazon -or any other internet retailer- only collects sales tax if they have physical presence in the state where the buyer is located.

Here in Cali, I can't buy anything that Amazon themselves sells and ships W/O paying sales tax, BUT, it can be a different story if it's sold by another retailer under their umbrella. I just purchased some ink cartridges for my printer from an out of state Amazon seller, and no sales tax.

Your strategy on big ticket items might be to place them in your shopping cart, go to checkout, and see if tax is being charged. If so, simply delete it out of the cart if that's a deal breaker.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 8:38 pm 

I'm as happy as the next guy.
I'll creatively offset the expense on my tax return.

Two can play the game..

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 9:17 pm 

South Dakota originally filed the case which has gone to the Supreme Court on internet sales tax and as South Dakota has no state income tax and relies on sales tax revenue, I can see the reasoning behind their filing. No comment on California joining the case as we have some of the highest taxes in the United States and seem to always be looking for more sources of revenue. Premium gasoline at my local Chevron Station was $3.919/gallon last night.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 9:27 pm 

Premium gasoline at my local Chevron Station was $3.919/gallon last night.

That's what you get for living in such an exclusive community. :D

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 9:39 pm 

Since I live close to a number of refineries, the cost of gasoline is actually lower than most areas in California. I remember when the price of gasoline was getting close to $5/gallon and I noticed that traffic was less, even during peak periods.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 9:54 pm 

fifties wrote:
From my understanding, Amazon -or any other internet retailer- only collects sales tax if they have physical presence in the state where the buyer is located.

True. For those interested, here's a list of Amazon's warehouses. It is different from the wiki list; I don't know which is most accurate, but since Amazon seems to be expanding more than they are closing facilities, I would guess the former is more accurate, since it has more locations listed.

Quote:
Here in Cali, I can't buy anything that Amazon themselves sells and ships W/O paying sales tax, BUT, it can be a different story if it's sold by another retailer under their umbrella. I just purchased some ink cartridges for my printer from an out of state Amazon seller, and no sales tax.

Therein lies the rub. I've had bad experiences with 3rd-party sellers and thus tend to stick with "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com", which of course means I pay sales tax on most items. The ROI for me is that I rarely have problems anymore. The result is less aggravation, very few returns needed (easier and free when required), no lost time, etc. I don't typically buy big ticket items on Amazon, and don't buy much at a time. I'm not Prime, I just buildup a cart that meets minimum free shipping requirement. The positive end experience vs. 3rd-party sellers has proven to be worth the extra in sales tax.

Quote:
Your strategy on big ticket items might be to place them in your shopping cart, go to checkout, and see if tax is being charged. If so, simply delete it out of the cart if that's a deal breaker.

Or just check the "Shipping and payments" tab in the listing.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 10:01 pm 

3Transistors wrote:
Since I live close to a number of refineries, the cost of gasoline is actually lower than most areas in California. I remember when the price of gasoline was getting close to $5/gallon and I noticed that traffic was less, even during peak periods.

I live close to Exxon and it irks me when gas prices here are no lower and sometimes higher than distant locations. I'm so close, I could go fill up my car AT the refinery, but they stick it to us, nonetheless.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 10:24 pm 

State and local jurisdictions are losing gigabucks of tax revenue as sales move to the net.
And local businesses are closing left and right, putting people out of work.

The tax loss could be corrected by charging sales tax based on the delivery address.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 10:25 pm 

AYE, but there is a ceiling that has to be reached....of $200K (some exceptions..)in sales before you have to collect the tax, so only the big players have to collect. Ebay, Amazon, Etsy, bonanza, etc, YES, but small sellers like Sal's Capacitor Corner and the others to the right would be mostly exempt. No nexus (No Physical presence or agent in the state), no collection.

Our former VA governor headed up the streamiined sales tax legislation that congress has yet to pass, so right now, the courts are the only rules, and they previously ruled in favor of the no nexus, no tax position.

http://www.streamlinedsalestax.org/

It covers all angles - including no sales tax states, the different (existing) thresholds, the means by which they will collect (return filing or agent use, like TaxCloud or Avalara...)

Both TaxCloud and Avalara run an almost "fear factor" in trying to scare up business. Some small internet sellers (like a buddy selling his guitar stuff) get daily emails about "changes" and "proposed legislation" and how integration into his "ecommerce system" (PayPal shopping cart...) is painless and free.

Implementing it at Amazon, eBay and Etsy is almost transparent to the seller and buyer. For the independent seller, it can be collected by an agent, AFTER the threshold of sales is reached, by state. Lowest current threshold for collection is (I think,....still looking) about $12K/yr. of in-state sales, and held by at least two states. Most states already agree to the $200K (total sales) before applying sales tax collection.

Again, if you keep up with Ecommercebytes (https://www.ecommercebytes.com/), all of this sales tax policy is linear, and continuing in nature. Updates are easiest to follow this way.

Bottom line is to level the playing field a bit for the big sellers, and not impact the mom-and pop folks with heavy burdens in collecting, reporting, and submitting the sales tax.

Buyers? Easy, but tax puts a damper on some bargains. If Mouser, Digi-key and Electronic Goldmine start charging me tax, I'll probably pass on some "want" purchases. Radios, I got no more room for, but parts for fixing stuff, I'll always need.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 10:46 pm 

Vin Tageman - Before Exxon-Mobil sold their Torrance refinery, there was a Mobil station across the street and their gasoline prices were some of the highest in the area. Didn't make much sense to me, but after the refinery was sold, the Mobil station was torn down!

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 12:18 am 

it really doesn't matter how close you are to a refinery, they don't set the price, the market and distribution does, you get your gas
supplied by the same trucks and distribution centers, at least the billing center.

Local communities like to declare "Enforcement Zones" too on their 1 mile stretch of highway and then double the fines.
Here in Central Ohio, 3 Police Stations were removed, 1st by a State Representative who got scammed with a phony speeding ticket, he started an investigation that go that police dept auctioned off and the "officers" (inbreed family) imprisoned in New Rome Ohio
Johnstown, also got tired of the bs tickets and got it on the ballot, and voted out the police dept, closed them down and hired the county sheriff.
Same in Canal Winchester. #4, Brice Ohio, Mayor and 3 of her family got fired, police dept shut down, just a couple weeks ago, town population about 800.

ah, the power of the people, go vote

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 2:29 am 

Sounds like Hazard County!

Enos you dipstick! gyug-gyug-gyug…

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 9:12 am 

3Transistors wrote:

$3.59 at my local Costco. You might want to get a membership. :wink:

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 10:13 pm 

Update today, April 17, is that the Supreme heard the arguments in the case.

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/u-s-supreme-court-hears-arguments-in-internet-sales-tax/article_e4f7545d-8f24-5efd-ace1-637b9c8d0867.html

I think this particular information is important:
Quote:
But several Supreme Court justices suggested that Congress should act to correct the problem if it sees one, not the court. Justice Elena Kagan called the issue a “very prominent” one that Congress is aware of, and she suggested a high bar for those who want the court to overrule its past decisions.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 18, 2018 5:07 pm 

fifties wrote:
3Transistors wrote:

$3.59 at my local Costco. You might want to get a membership. :wink:

Thought Ct. was a expensive state to survive in, $2.53 a gallon around here. Why the big difference in CA?

PostPosted: Apr Wed 18, 2018 5:46 pm 

decoflair wrote:
Update today, April 17, is that the Supreme heard the arguments in the case.

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/u-s-supreme-court-hears-arguments-in-internet-sales-tax/article_e4f7545d-8f24-5efd-ace1-637b9c8d0867.html

I think this particular information is important:
Quote:
But several Supreme Court justices suggested that Congress should act to correct the problem if it sees one, not the court. Justice Elena Kagan called the issue a “very prominent” one that Congress is aware of, and she suggested a high bar for those who want the court to overrule its past decisions.

Important considerations raised - the very reason many companies choose to locate in certain states - no sales tax, no collection burden, and thus less personnel, so a wise investment in both capital and growth terms. Take that away, and the state(s) will wish they never raised the issue - companies will simply locate to states where transportation costs, wages and other expenses are lower. Hello, South? Bye North?

I remember years ago buying a 6" wood jointer at Sears in Tennessee and paying sales tax in Tennessee, only to have it picked up in Virginia - and getting a refund, as the sales "took place" in Virginia, where the product was delivered. With that reverse logic, Tennessee lost out, even though I never used it in Virginia....I couldn't take delivery in the barracks, and it sat until I could open and use it - in Tennessee. Telecoms do the same thing here - buy parts and supplies in Virginia for jobs in Northeast North Carolina. They complain - the tax rate is less in North Carolina, yet they can't get the supplies there. Parts for resale aren't taxed, but consumables are, so they do get hit by a percent or so, and it adds up.

Here, we have regional sales tax to pay for transportation infrastructure (tunnels, bridges and extra lanes), so if I buy something outside the region, I save money on taxes, even if I bring it home and consume it in my area, where the taxes are higher.

There's gotta be a better way - one national value added tax, distributed by a factor like consumption or population.....

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 32 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next