Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 25, 2018 5:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow Ebay shippers
PostPosted: May Mon 14, 2018 10:19 pm 

Most sellers that I buy from are Johnny on the spot, as far as getting items out, within a reasonable amount of time. However, I sometimes run into someone who drags their feet. On the 7th of this month, I bought a record player from someone on Ebay and here it is the 14th and still no ship notification, no positive feedback for paying, or anything. I don't know how I missed this before bidding; but, I just checked their feedback again and even though there are no negatives for non-delivery, their rating for shipping time is unimpressive.

When I list something on Ebay, I state 3 days handling time; but, so far, I've managed to get everything out within 24 hours of cleared payment and on a couple of things, I got them out the same day. The way I see it is I expect my payment within a reasonable amount of time and when a buyer pays, it's up to me to get off my butt and get their item out......not sit on it for a week (and counting).

You can bet that if I took a week to pay, they'd file a case against me.

If I don't hear something in a day or two, I'm filing an "item not received" case against them. Maybe that will motivate them to either carry their butt to FedEx or give me a refund.

Post subject: Re: Slow Ebay shippers
PostPosted: May Mon 14, 2018 10:42 pm 

Some sellers live out in the boonies and get into town once a week, if then. Shipping and handling times should be listed. If he is a Top-rated seller he must ship within 1 day; otherwise, I don't think they have an obligation to ship quickly. Also, some people never even look for boxes and packing until an item is sold.

Next month I may have to give up my Top-rated status, because eBay may require free returns. After that, I will have no reason to ship within 1 day, but I probably still will on most items.

PostPosted: May Mon 14, 2018 10:43 pm 

radiotvnut wrote:
If I don't hear something in a day or two, I'm filing an "item not received" case against them. Maybe that will motivate them to either carry their butt to FedEx or give me a refund.

That's what I would do.

Recently, there was a movie on ebay that I was interested in, and I had it on my watched list for a while. It was from a "professional" seller with several hundred thousand sales, and I had bought from them before at least once. They usually had multiple copies in stock.

I noticed that the BIN price of the item varied almost daily. Why, I don't know, but it seemed odd. The price went down cheaper than I had previously seen it, so I bought it using BIN. I waited the estimated delivery time or a little longer, and I never got a tracking number, no positive feedback, no notifications, nothing. :roll:

I filed a case with the "I still want the item" option checked. Despite doing that, the seller instantly refunded my money with no explanation or anything. :evil: They got a negative feedback bomb for that. I'm done being nice to sellers that pull that sort of crap that wastes my time.

PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2018 12:08 am 

It's funny that I made this post and just a little while ago, a tracking number was created. I won't consider it shipped until I see some package movement.

PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2018 4:52 am 

beat_truck wrote:
radiotvnut wrote:

That's what I would do.

Recently, there was a movie on ebay that I was interested in, and I had it on my watched list for a while. It was from a "professional" seller with several hundred thousand sales, and I had bought from them before at least once. They usually had multiple copies in stock.

I noticed that the BIN price of the item varied almost daily. Why, I don't know, but it seemed odd. The price went down cheaper than I had previously seen it, so I bought it using BIN. I waited the estimated delivery time or a little longer, and I never got a tracking number, no positive feedback, no notifications, nothing. :roll:

I filed a case with the "I still want the item" option checked. Despite doing that, the seller instantly refunded my money with no explanation or anything. :evil: They got a negative feedback bomb for that. I'm done being nice to sellers that pull that sort of crap that wastes my time.

Wow, that's kinda harsh. If he refunded you, don't you think a neutral would have been more appropriate?

Anyways, here's a link where you might be able to find your flick gratis, using an Android browser;
https://terrariumtv.com/

Windows browsers won't work on it.

PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2018 5:39 am 

fifties wrote:
Wow, that's kinda harsh. If he refunded you, don't you think a neutral would have been more appropriate?

I bought and paid immediately for the item, never heard one single peep from the seller, and the item never showed up. If they forgot to send it, didn't actually have it to sell, or just didn't like the price that they agreed to sell the item for, well those aren't my problems.

Maybe I would have been more understanding if they had actually let me know that there was a legitimate issue. But all I got was crickets.

I didn't ask for or even want a refund, either. I made it clear that I still wanted the item. They couldn't even be bothered to respond to me. :roll:

So, no I don't think it was harsh at all.

PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2018 6:32 am 

When I buy from China... I look at the Ebay listing for shipping times. Usually it's not longer than 30 days.
Often 98% of anything from Chine seems to arrive in about 10 days or less. But I'm tolerant to about a month.

A couple months ago I ordered a $14 DMM from a China seller stating 30days. But after 30 days nothing.
So I sent the seller a question about ACTUAL anticipated delivery.
They were very wordy claiming yadda yadda about slow ships etc etc... but they assured me to relax and please give it another week.
I gave it another week... still no meter.
Again I sent them a note... again tghey begged me to wait.
( by this time I was getting irritated and now a bit suspicious about if they were telling the truth)
So I warned them that if it did not arive after one more week I would ask for a refund.
After the next week... again no meter.
So I sent them yet aother note requesting a refund.
They begged for me to be more patient.
I even sent Ebay a request for a refund.
The seller then asks once again to be paitient one more week.
I refused.
A few days later the seller tells me he will refund providing that if it arrives I pay him again.
I told him I did not believe him and I am tired of waiting now over 6 weeks and I'll need to buy another meter since that one failed to show... just send refund.
Ok the refund arrived.

I thought that was the end of the story.
Another week went by and I was feeling confident that the seller was a liar.
After another week still... I was sure they were phoney sellers and patting myself on the back for getting my money back.
So ... I wrote them off as a story of BS ... that Ebay refund protected me from.

But after I almost totally forgot about it ...one day some days later the meter DID eventually arrive... yikes.

So I sent the seller another note explaining thanking them for the refund and how I had to buy another meter... but now their meter finally showed up after I no longer needed it. So I asked them to send a return pick-up ticket ... or to send me a prepaid return envelope.
They acknowledged receipt of my email note.... but no reply about returning the meter with a prepaid envelope.

So do I wait for the return packaging or forget it ... and feel guilty that after all that I now have their meter but it's now free?
Or should they look at it as a $14 lesson learned to ship promptly?

PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2018 8:15 am 

I've only had one Chinese eBay seller who was a scammer; it was a fairly large seller with lots of history. I bid on and won two auctions for the same items (AC digital voltmeter/ammeter); got them for about $5.50 for both. Seller said they shipped right away, and the expected delivery date came and went.

You can't open a claim until after that date; I contacted them and asked about the shipping date. They claimed they sent another two items at that time. Another date came and went, and they again said they were shipping two more meters; all this time I didn't see any tracking, but sometimes there is no tracking info. This went on for maybe 50 days; I finally got pissed and asked eBay for a refund, which they couldn't do because it was more than 30 days after the first expected delivery, but was still within the 45 days for Paypal. Got my money back, then I decided I was going to buy something cheap from these guys, only to leave negative feedback, but they had blocked me. This convinced me they were unscrupulous.

PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2018 11:26 am 

I should warn everyone I guess. I am getting along in years and have a handicapped family member and sell here and on eBay and sometimes can't get things shipped for 5 or 6 days. I know there is a rush for everything instantly these days which I could never understand anyway. I still have the major part of a great collection to sell here and on eBay so please be forewarned. Nothing has ever gotten lost in over 3000 sales via USPS. It always gets there. I do limit my business to USA sales however. I don't use any EBay extra services but can and will provide tracking numbers only if there is an indeterminate delay in shipping which very seldom happens.

PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2018 2:29 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
Often 98% of anything from Chine seems to arrive in about 10 days or less. But I'm tolerant to about a month.

So do I wait for the return packaging or forget it ... and feel guilty that after all that I now have their meter but it's now free?

You aren't going to get return packaging or even a prepaid label. It would probably cost the seller more than the item is worth for you to ship it back to them, so they're just taking the loss. If you need to feel righteous, send the meter to the landfill so it's impossible for anyone to "benefit" from the freebie, or pay them for it direct via PayPal and keep it as a spare (maybe pay them 50-75% of the original value; still sends them a lesson, and perhaps shortens your guilt trip).

Ten days is incredibly speedy. I usually have good luck with Chinese vendors, though most of my orders take 3-4 weeks, so it's a good thing I'm the patient type.

My worst experience so far with a Chinee seller was a recent order for a couple of radio antennas.
I had previously attempted to order a 6-section telescoping antenna from 2 different vendors and both sent me the longer 4-section, which wouldn't fit my Grunding/Eton.
I told this third vendor of my troubles in obtaining this particular antenna, and specifically requested they check to make certain it is the shorter 6-section before shipping.
After nearly TWO months of waiting, I finally received the package, only to find out they sent the same 4-section antenna the first 2 vendors sent!
Obviously, nobody in all of China actually has the 6-section antenna that they all advertise — which would have fit my radio — so I've given up on it.
I also ordered a 7-section at the same time from this vendor, in case it might fit per specs, and it was longer than what their listing stated, so it, too, would stick out the side of my radio and not snap into the hold-down clip.

I don't like to give negs and I have done so maybe 3 times in the last 10 years, but these guys were deserving, so I hit them with negs for both items.
Well, they sure didn't wait long before pleading for FB revision, they jumped on that quickly, which irritated me even further, since they demonstrated they can move when they're sufficiently motivated.
Nevertheless, I ultimately accepted a full refund (they didn't offer to send me the correct antenna, which tells me they never had it), kept the antennas I don't want, revised to soft positives, and put this seller on my "never again" list.

Moral of story: deals often work out well with Chinese sellers, but expect disappointment when ordering antennas from any of them.

PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2018 2:50 pm 

Johnnysan wrote:
Got my money back, then I decided I was going to buy something cheap from these guys, only to leave negative feedback, but they had blocked me. This convinced me they were unscrupulous.

They saw that coming. They may be unscrupulous, but they aren't stupid. :lol:

PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2018 6:18 pm 

Pbpix wrote:

I'm curious if the package had a date on it, to identify as to when they actually did ship it. If so, and the date was recent, you should feel under no obligation, since they had previously refunded you. Maybe this was an attempt to get a + F/B hit from you.

If not, then the item was somehow lost in shipping for awhile; not the sellers fault, but certainly not yours either. And again, you should feel under no obligation.

PostPosted: May Tue 15, 2018 9:31 pm 

Vin Tageman wrote:
Pbpix wrote:

You aren't going to get return packaging or even a prepaid label. It would probably cost the seller more than the item is worth for you to ship it back to them, so they're just taking the loss. If you need to feel righteous, send the meter to the landfill so it's impossible for anyone to "benefit" from the freebie, or pay them for it direct via PayPal and keep it as a spare (maybe pay them 50-75% of the original value; still sends them a lesson, and perhaps shortens your guilt trip).

Ten days is incredibly speedy. I usually have good luck with Chinese vendors, though most of my orders take 3-4 weeks, so it's a good thing I'm the patient type.

My worst experience so far with a Chinee seller was a recent order for a couple of radio antennas.
I had previously attempted to order a 6-section telescoping antenna from 2 different vendors and both sent me the longer 4-section, which wouldn't fit my Grunding/Eton.
I told this third vendor of my troubles in obtaining this particular antenna, and specifically requested they check to make certain it is the shorter 6-section before shipping.
After nearly TWO months of waiting, I finally received the package, only to find out they sent the same 4-section antenna the first 2 vendors sent!
Obviously, nobody in all of China actually has the 6-section antenna that they all advertise — which would have fit my radio — so I've given up on it.
I also ordered a 7-section at the same time from this vendor, in case it might fit per specs, and it was longer than what their listing stated, so it, too, would stick out the side of my radio and not snap into the hold-down clip.

I don't like to give negs and I have done so maybe 3 times in the last 10 years, but these guys were deserving, so I hit them with negs for both items.
Well, they sure didn't wait long before pleading for FB revision, they jumped on that quickly, which irritated me even further, since they demonstrated they can move when they're sufficiently motivated.
Nevertheless, I ultimately accepted a full refund (they didn't offer to send me the correct antenna, which tells me they never had it), kept the antennas I don't want, revised to soft positives, and put this seller on my "never again" list.

Moral of story: deals often work out well with Chinese sellers, but expect disappointment when ordering antennas from any of them.

lol
I'm not guilty enough to toss it... but it does bother me.
In m y note to them for return shipping I was hoping they would be the one to tell me to keep it.... but now I'll just have suffer $14 guilt every time I use the meter.

I'm also the beneficiary or two Am. Flags worth $5 total.
The ad clearly stated brass grommets.
It came with none. How am I supposed to connect it to the pull-up cord.
I contacted them to point out that their ad clearly stated brass grommets. They had no excuse so told me to keep the flags. I had to buy some grommets $3.49
But a special tool to use the grommets costs $8.95... so I didn't buy that.
Now I mangled the grommet getting it on... such grief.
So NOW I just re-ordered two more flags for $5 that show the grommet in place on the flag.
Such is the cost of patriotism I guess.
lol

PostPosted: May Wed 16, 2018 6:53 pm 

It took them a week to make a shipping label. Now, I guess it will take them another week to actually ship the package.

PostPosted: May Thu 17, 2018 4:04 pm 

Little over a year ago, I purchased a pair of size 11 work boots on ebay. When the package came I went to try them on and they wouldn't fit. I looked at the size and they were 10. I double checked the auction and it was clearly for a size 11. I contacted the seller and they said they were out of the 11. (If they were out, why wouldn't they contact me and tell me before shipping). Needless to say, they paid for the return shipping and refunded me the money.
Just a couple weeks ago, I purchased a movie. After it got shipped out, the seller contacted me and told me that the movie was no longer available and that the ad shouldn't have been there. He said he sent out a different movie and that if I didn't want that other movie, he would refund my money upon return of said movie.

Why send out something different than the advertised product? I understand mistakes happen. Contact me tell me the item is no longer available and then let me decide if I want a substitution, then mail out or refund my money at that time.

PostPosted: May Thu 17, 2018 6:20 pm 

Countryford wrote:
Why send out something different than the advertised product? I understand mistakes happen. Contact me tell me the item is no longer available and then let me decide if I want a substitution, then mail out or refund my money at that time.

The seller must prove they sent something via tracking number. It prevents the buyer from filing the dreaded INR claim, which sometimes hurts the seller more than if they have to pay return shipping (sometimes hurts more than taking the loss on the time via refund and letting the buyer keep it).

Of course, the seller does risk negative or neutral FB when they do this, so they just hope the buyer is forgiving and/or that they can plead for FB revision later and weasel their way out of it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Each seller calculates risk assessment, cost of item/loss, return shipping, etc., and bases their actions on that. Well, experienced/power sellers do anyway. I'm sure some newbies do this out of incompetence or poor help (finger pointing at inefficient/idiot relatives seems popular).

PostPosted: May Thu 17, 2018 6:42 pm 

I ordered an amplifier off ebay on May 7; seller said he would get it out in one day, two max (Tuesday or Wednesday). He finally printed a shipping label for it that Friday (five days) but did not bring it to the shipper until Monday (one week). It's now been an additional four days, with two to go before delivery. Two weeks and a day is unacceptable when he said he'd have it in the mail within 24 hours. I won't leave negative feedback if the amp shows up in one piece and is as described, but he's definitely getting a low rating for shipping.