Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 23, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heads-up......AES
PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 12:40 am 

I placed a parts order for $32 from AES......they promptly charged $12.83 UPS Ground for 8 Oz box.....I could have thrown it in a Flat rate Priority Box $6.25........Good luck

Bill

Last edited by glowtube on Apr Sat 28, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Beware......AES
PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 2:34 am 

They probably don't have a deal with the USPS. It's not like they can go to the mailbox or post office. I see where you are coming from but I've dealt with AES for over 20 years and never had a problem. They can be, and usually are, high priced and their focus these days seems to be more towards guitars and amps, but they've always been there. I still buy from them a number of times a year.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 2:53 am 

Any organization of more than a few employees will probably have one standard shipping method---your options are limited--go elsewhere, buy locally, etc.

Any online source has shipping charges---what counts is the bottom line, including shipping. If AES is the only one that has what you need, then........**never mind** (Apologies to Gilda)

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 3:53 am 

pixellany wrote:
Any organization of more than a few employees will probably have one standard shipping method---your options are limited--go elsewhere, buy locally, etc.

Any online source has shipping charges---what counts is the bottom line, including shipping. If AES is the only one that has what you need, then........**never mind** (Apologies to Gilda)

Maybe so, but it still stinks that they feel the need to engage in such gouging.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 4:52 am 

glew1 wrote:
Maybe so, but it still stinks that they feel the need to engage in such gouging.

Welcome to America!

I don't think there is anywhere we can go, where we won't be gouged? Maybe we should stick with only buying our items for garage sales? I wonder when the next estate sale is? I need to go grocery shopping. No matter where you go you will be gouged...when you get fuel/groceries/toilet paper....you be gouged...So whats the problem? I have to pay environment disposable fees when I pull a part at pick n pull....and that part is metal doorhandle...

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 5:24 am 

Go to UPS.com and see what they charge for that size and weight box for the distance... I'll bet that isn't far off at all.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 9:28 am 

Pbpix wrote:
Go to UPS.com and see what they charge for that size and weight box for the distance... I'll bet that isn't far off at all.

Yeah, it is. UPS used to be competitive with the P.O., but not so much anymore.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 3:36 pm 

AES isn't the one to blame. THey are a private corporation and must have a profit to stay in business unlike USPS.

Last edited by Bruce Hagen on Apr Fri 27, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 3:38 pm 

glowtube wrote:
I placed a parts order for $32 from AES......they promptly charged $12.83 UPS Ground for 8 Oz box.....I could have thrown it in a Flat rate Priority Box $6.25........Good luck

Bill

I'm assuming you've already contacted AES for an complete explanation about their shipping before posting your displeasure here on ARF. What did AES have to say about it?

Here is a quote from the Antique Electronic Supply website: For orders less than $99.00 with a continental U.S. delivery address, we ship by UPS ground unless you specify otherwise. UPS Air, USPS Priority Mail and some other types of priority delivery are available upon request. Our minimum shipping charge is $3.95 per order.

So, it sounds like they could have shipped in a Flat Rate Priority Box if you were to have requested it.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 3:51 pm 

There is opportunity to know the shipping cost *before* the box arrives at your door, before the bill arrives in the mail, or before you click the "send order" button.
It is foolish to make assumption on how something will be shipped or what it will cost.
The amount of homework to do before giving credit card info is directly proportional to how important the shipping cost is to you.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 4:16 pm 

Just an fyi...a 1 pound package from Kansas City (my location) to the west coast via UPS ground is $12.98...and that is with my commercial account. No gouging here, doesn't sound like they're making any money off of shipping. Just need to ask for an alternate method the next time. I hardly use UPS any longer because of the cost, unless a customer specifically requests it. That same one pound package via USPS parcel post is only $5.55.

73, David--WD0ERU, QCWA #35042

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 4:21 pm 

I have no axe to grind with AES. They are prompt and provide fine service. The point I was making is at the time of order via thier website the only choices are UPS. That said the problem is it is a blind transaction. The buyer isn't provided any shipping costs...........only when the package is shipped and a invoice is sent to the buyer.
My post is only a heads-up to consider when making an order and to understand the shipping costs with limited choices.

Bill

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 5:36 pm 

glowtube wrote:

Bill

They gotta' charge that much for those 3 guys in the warehouse. You know - the two senior employees with banker hours that watch the one new guy do all the work...

It's coming: http://www.nortonics.org

PostPosted: Apr Fri 27, 2012 9:23 pm 

AES has always been more expensive for shipping, that is if you are not close to them. It has something to do with the way UPS zones their prices. I dunno.

Peter

PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2012 1:11 am 

glowtube wrote:
The point I was making is at the time of order via thier website the only choices are UPS. That said the problem is it is a blind transaction. The buyer isn't provided any shipping costs...........only when the package is shipped and a invoice is sent to the buyer.

Based on this experience with them, the next time you might contact them before placing the order, to specify which way you want it shipped, and if they can't comply, go elsewhere if you have that choice for the item you want.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2012 1:39 am 

I have a very simple outlook on this situation. If the seller does not display shipping costs, I don't buy. No total, no sale. I hate surprises.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2012 2:18 am 

Bugman wrote:
I have a very simple outlook on this situation. If the seller does not display shipping costs, I don't buy. No total, no sale. I hate surprises.

+1

PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2012 2:46 am 

Last AES order I made about 2 weeks ago (via phone) the salesperson said he could ship it for less $$ USPS first class than UPS. took 3 days instead of 2 but saved me about $5 on shipping.

FIX: call in your orders.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2012 3:32 am 

Problem Solved !!

Bill KB9IV

PBPP wrote:
Bugman wrote:

+1

Post subject: Re: Heads-up......AES
PostPosted: Apr Sat 28, 2012 2:19 pm 

I order over a hundred bucks worth of stuff at a time and the shipping is free... :lol:

~jeff~