Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 24, 2018 10:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Neon
PostPosted: Jun Wed 06, 2012 1:12 pm 

I have seen this Zenith neon and in fact I own one.

I have seen this Zenith sign multiple times.

But I have never seen the two combined.

Has anyone lese seen this combination?

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/117 ... t-in-radio

Also at the same auction is the Philco sign that I believe was offerred here.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/117 ... t-in-radio

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

Post subject: Re: Zenith Neon
PostPosted: Jun Thu 07, 2012 1:22 am 

I'm no Zenith expert, by any means, but I to have seen a number of original painted metal signs and window neon displays. I've always been under the impression that those painted metal signs were designed to be mounted flush against a wall. I'm convinced that this neon sign is a fairly recent creation made from an original painted Zenith metal sign. Whether it was done for personal enjoyment or for profit, I can say. The neon tubing looks new and where is the transformer located. That sign is big enough so that if it were originally done as a neon sign, way back when, then the high voltage transformer would have been mounted somewhere on the back as was the normal thing to do for large neon signs of that time period. I can't tell if that sign was meant to hang or free stand. I'd sure be curious as to what the back of that sign looks like.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 07, 2012 12:04 pm 

Art:

A long-time radio collector friend of mine has the same version of this Zenith Neon sign. I have seen his up-close-and-personal. It is very large and all original.

BR,

Terry

PostPosted: Jun Thu 07, 2012 4:30 pm 

radioterry wrote:
Art:

A long-time radio collector friend of mine has the same version of this Zenith Neon sign. I have seen his up-close-and-personal. It is very large and all original.

BR,

Terry

98" x60" is VERY large.

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Jun Thu 07, 2012 7:27 pm 

oldradio99 wrote:
radioterry wrote:
Art:

BR,

Terry

98" x60" is VERY large.

Agreed!

It takes up the better part of one wall in his basement...

BR,

Terry

PostPosted: Jun Fri 08, 2012 2:25 am 

Thats huge but they made it look so small int he picture. They could have at least had a person holding it up for comparison. They make it look like it will fit in a VW Bug when in fact you need the bus....

PostPosted: Jun Fri 08, 2012 3:26 am 

The Neon tubing probably is new since the original tubes aren't likely to have survived this long.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 4:50 am 

Hello Guys,
i thought be cool to make a repo of that sign

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Sun 12, 2018 11:26 am 

............................................................................................................................................................................

Last edited by VegasDude on Sep Tue 11, 2018 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 12, 2018 6:28 pm 

It would be nice to see the back.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 12, 2018 11:55 pm 

I could be wrong but that looks like a repro to me

PostPosted: Aug Mon 13, 2018 1:29 am 

Lou deGonzague wrote:
I could be wrong but that looks like a repro to me

Exactly what I was thinking. Doesn't look like it has the highest quality of letters (glass tube bending).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Mon 13, 2018 7:11 am 

......................................................................................................................................

Last edited by VegasDude on Sep Tue 11, 2018 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 13, 2018 12:32 pm 

VegasDude wrote:
1- If it WERE a Repro.. I would have stated that it was... So why the derogatory doubtful comments on it's Authenticity?? especially from a very fuzzy scanned pic

VegasDude, nobody's trying to be derogatory. Nobody's trying to insult you or your sign. Were just expressing our first impressions and opinions, in a constructive way, based on our experiences and that fuzzy scanned pic that you posted but, yes, we are a little bit doubtful.

VegasDude wrote:
I've collected radios for years.. At one point Owning over 100, including EVERY single model Zenith Trans-Oceanic and Companion Model Made.. Duplicates of many..1 Royal 7000 transistor left to sell, and starting to sell my 30+ Tube TO's / Companions.. Hallicrafters, and StratoWorlds in the mix, including a Rare Alligator 3-BX-672.

Very impressive. I only have a Royal D7000Y and a R-7000 because I quickly sell off any other models of Transoceanics that I find.

VegasDude wrote:
This pic is from my old ebay printout that I scanned on my computer, and tried to sharpen in paint.net..... It's totally obvious that THIS pic is NOT in ANY way, shape, or form, a clearly defined pic that one could judge, or base Anything on...

Totally obvious to you, not to us. Sorry about that.

VegasDude wrote:
I've never understood the hostile defensive attitudes of some radio collectors on forums that I've experienced over the years.... Like bitter left-handed, red-headed step-children

OK, now who's being derogatory here? Personal insults are for politicians and school yard children to throw around, not antique radio collectors.

VegasDude wrote:
It's definitely genuine.. dusty, aged, with a patina similar to the chassis of my Stromberg Carlson 225H I sold a few months back... and the wooden crate it was shipped in shows a similar aged appearance ...... It was a bidding war of 17 buyers... All radio collectors.... Someone asked if it had an authentic dealer issued numbered brass tag... because it wasnt mentioned... and it was Verified....... I sniped it at the last 3 seconds, and won the auction...

It's Definitely NOT A REPRO....... A similar one sold for $999 earlier this year........

Even the best of collectors have been mislead, fooled and conned over the years. Happens all the time. Personally I'm not stating that your sign is a fake or a repro, I'm just questioning how vintage it really is, that's all. All of the "Zenith - Radio" neon signs that I've seen were from the prewar era and featured the tubing mounted on some sort of a full sign. Your sign is mounted on a metal buss bar frame which is more like that of the postwar "Zenith Radio-TV" signs which were mounted on metal buss bar frames. In short, your sign features a prewar theme mounted on a post war frame. The Z on your sign only has one line while the Z on the "Zenith Radio-TV" signs have two lines. That's where I get my suspicions. Is there's a tag on your sign which identifies who made it and from where? What markings were on the shipping crate.

VegasDude wrote:
It was a bidding war of 17 buyers... All radio collectors....

You know that for a fact. You sure some of those bidders weren't sign collectors or antique dealers.

If this was a window sign, I don't see any bumpers that would allow it to hang against a window. It's certainty not a table top sign because there's no base or feet. If it was made to hang against a wall, bad choice because the framework and wiring apparently show up against the illuminated wall as your photo shows. That certainly wouldn't look very nice or professional, especially if it was displayed in a store or some showroom decades ago. I'm guessing that, judging from the background colors, the neon "Zenith" word is in blue and the neon "radio" word is in red. I have never seen any Zenith logo, sign, or advertisement which featured a blue Zenith logo. All I've ever seen are either black/white, red or yellow Zenith logos, never blue. Zenith would never have officially OK'd such a color for a professional sign manufacture to make neon signs for. The letters aren't very straight and they seem to vary in height.

Typical post war Zenith Radio-TV sign

Typical post war Zenith color tv neon sign

Regardless of what the original seller stated and what you happen to believe, I don't think that was an officially commissioned, mass produced, neon sign which was made for Zenith. I'm guessing that your sign was probably made sometime within the past 30 years or so. It was either commissioned by some radio collector or it was made by the collector himself. Whoever built it didn't do their historical research very well. That frame doesn't look industrial made, more like something that was made in a small neon sign workshop. I think you got gypped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sat 08, 2018 1:39 am 

.............................................................................................................................................................................

Last edited by VegasDude on Sep Tue 11, 2018 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 08, 2018 1:59 am 

A link to the auction in case anyone is interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-ZENIT ... Sw2stbjtDh