Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 15, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco 70 inconsistent value on ebay
PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 2:18 am 

I've been watching a lot of different auctions on ebay for Philco 70s. What I don't understand is why there is such an in consistency in ending prices. Some radios that look perfectly good with an original finish don't sell while others go from $250 plus. There was one on there that I can see wasn't moving because it was finished with Poly and not lacquer, I get that one, but the others are so far off from one another. Are there different series that are more in demand than others?

Post subject: Re: Philco 70 inconsistent value on ebay
PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 5:32 am 

The devil is in the details. There is an early and late versions of the 70 but from the top view I don't think that it is easily to determine. Could be that the buyers are looking for a "perfect" one. Things like a little rust, beat up bottom trim, repaired or broken grille work, missing parts like the tube shield or arch, poor refinish, excessive shipping charges, non working, p/u only, there's many things that can drive the price downward. There's the fear that the seller doesn't know or care about packing it so the spkr don't bust out the grille work in transit.

Personally I wouldn't buy one from Ebay. If I had a burning desire the get one I'd post an ad here and work out the shipping. Kutztown is coming in May. So folks will negotiate the sale here and pick at a radio meet. There are enough radio meets around that find a good 70.
Just my 2c.

GL
Terry

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 6:07 am 

Every time I plan on going to Kutztown, I have somewhere else that I have to be. The last time I was there was last spring, but I showed up Saturday around 12pm. I couldn't believe that everyone was almost gone. Evidently, Friday is the day to go.

Thanks

Bernie

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 1:51 pm 

For years it's been said in collectors circles that auction prices is not a good way to determine value. In a auction atmosphere there's emotions involved and a collector will often pay an exorbitant price just from being caught up in the bidding and not wanting to lose! That time the set may go for $400 and the next day another one like it will sell for $200.
I had plans to get a 90 and ended-up with a 70. In some ways it's just as nice the 90! It has clean simple lines with that great gothic Combs design.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 3:24 pm 

Expecting consistent prices for a specific item in an auction format is tatamount to thinking that the auction is rigged. Many variables go into an open bidding scenario as is used by eBay; you could possibly list them all but their interaction is very complex. Frankly, I'd suspect foul play if sale price history for the same item tended to be close to one another.

About the only thing that amounts to a "price floor" is how the item is listed at the outset of the auction: the seller has the ability to set both a "reserve price" and the opening bid price. Of course, if the seller has priced the item above what prevailing sentiment of its worth, the piece will end up as a No Sale.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 3:39 pm 

> I showed up Saturday around 12pm.
By then it's a ghost town! If you can get there Friday around noon is pretty good. Later is the auction. Saturday morning there are some new folks coming in (the couldn't get off from work guys) but most of the more interesting stuff has changed hands. You can made some deals w/guys that have sets that they don't want to pack up and bring back home. If you like low end consoles you'll be in heaven! By 10 or 11 most are packing up and gone by 12 or 1.

Terry

PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 4:12 am 

I was more questioning if there was a significant difference between one 70 and another. Something like a Cabinet detail change that Philco did, or a different chassis run. I know there were early and late versions with different chassis runs and tube arrangements, but wasn't sure if one was of more value or not.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 4:33 am 

These are not new radios. Every one is different.

And every buyer is different.

One guy might stumble on it and say "I've been looking for one for over 40 years."
while another guy might say "Oh, another one to add to the 20 I already have."

- Leigh

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 5:52 am 

I sold a beautiful one for$300.00 that I had restored electrically. The cabinet and chassis were in great shape and the radio played great . It was as nice a one as I’ve seen.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 2:43 pm 

Was my favorite many years ago, bought a working 70 for $200.00, most I ever spent on a wood table model. Lost interest, sold it for a AK 82 Cath.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 6:38 pm 

I liked the 70 but I like the 20 much better . I have a 20 with perfect grill work and cabinet . Im with you though . I like my little Crosley 168 better than any of the Philcos.