Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 15, 2017 11:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Disturbing trend on ebay
PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 8:49 pm 

I have know about this for a couple of years but it is becoming more and more common.

ebay sellers with buy it nows that when you order from them, they then get the product from amazon.com.

I have been bitten by this at least 3 times in the last couple of years, in all cases if I ordered from Amazon I would have saved money. in one case as much as $40

now I check amazon when shopping on ebay to make sure I am not getting ripped off.

When they ship they do it as a gift so no invoice is sent.

Post subject: Re: Disturbing trend on ebay
PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 9:35 pm 

Flinx wrote:
ebay sellers with buy it nows that when you order from them, they then get the product from amazon.com.

That's what happens when you treat an auction site like a store.

It's not a store.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 10:01 pm 

More power to the sellers. Nothing illegal or unethical about it to my way of thinking. Anyone can do their homework and get a better price, but these sellers are betting not everyone will do their due diligence. They must be right.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 11:34 pm 

Amazon is usually my first stop for everything these days, if I can't find what I want at the price I want then I look at eBay.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 11:45 pm 

I usually buy stuff on ebay you can't get at amazon, or in some cases I did not know amazon carries. So I just got used to not checking other sources. Now I use camelcamelcamel.com to track amazon prices, and the addon for firefox called invisible hand which will show you where you can get stuff for sometimes huge discounts from the site you are currently browsing.

I found a popular welder that was on amazon, somewhere else for $150 less with invisble hand.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 1:34 am 

Absolutely nothing wrong with drop shipping on ebay. It's a smart way for a seller to get income without having to deal with shipping or having their money tied up in inventory. And ebay endorses it. You just need to learn to be a smarter shopper, which apparently you now are.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/product_sourcing.html

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 5:07 am 

With Amazon it's good to check around first.
Last night I decided to get a new range hood filter, so I Googled it.
On eBay it was available from 3 different sellers, starting at $29. At the Air Filter Factory website it was $23 including shipping. On Amazon it was $19 with free shipping, sold by...Air Filter Factory!

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 7:11 am 

Flinx... I had the same issue with Ebay and Walmart. I was angry too and now I shop around on any thing above $50.
I felt a little taken?? Thanks for sharing your experiance with us!!

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 12:57 pm 

I've seen it done on Kirkland products from Costco too.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 2:15 pm 

Flinx wrote:

It's a form of drop shipping without the seller officially connected with Amazon. Buyer beware!

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 2:25 pm 

I fell for this trap one time. Once I discovered my screw up I returned the part I had bought on eBay, which went back to Amazon, and then ordered the same part again directly through Amazon and saved some money.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 2:54 pm 

Jeremy S wrote:
I fell for this trap one time. Once I discovered my screw up I returned the part I had bought on eBay, which went back to Amazon, and then ordered the same part again directly through Amazon and saved some money.

that's difficult to do with a shed.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:03 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
I don't really see what is so disturbing. Someone identified an opportunity to make a few bucks passing items thru' to people who want to buy them. You wanted something. You apparently were ok with the price because you ordered it. The product apparently arrived.

It's pure capitalism and it's what built America. Identify the opportunity ... buy low ... sell high .... get paid and pay your bills .... do it all legally.

I don't see the problem.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:33 pm 

nobody is saying this is illegal, it is annoying and I don't like paying for things any more than I have to.

In the past it was common for ebay sellers to have amazon stores and vice versa, they were pretty open about it and the prices were the same on both sites, now that is no longer the case. I am just letting more people know about it.

case in point, I was looking for a small shed.
I searched all over trying to find the best deal, finding a better deal at some places and a worse deal at others. the same shed having a price that ranged from over $350 to as low as $289, finally I though I had found the best deal on ebay. $274 shipping included only one left. I ordered it and the tracking number they put up was strange, I had never seen it before, I did some research and found it was an amazon shipping number (amazon has their own shipping company now). So I went to amazon and found the shed for about $40 less. :x

As you can see the profit margin must be pretty high that someone can sell it on Amazon for $240 (shipping included) and yet it sells for as much as $350 that's a huge price difference. I wanted to buy locally but home depot was too high. I find it strange that I can buy things online (sometimes) way cheaper than I can locally (shipping included) someone is gouging. yay good for them, but good for me when I can get it cheaper. I am not new to shopping on the internet I know quite well how buying from the first place you find something on can be a huge mistake. I have seen items that sell commonly for $50 being sold for $200. How about a 12mm/8mm shoulder bolt that sells for $120. Common! it wasn't even made from gold plated platinum with a silver lining.

capitalistic, caveat emptor, the American way, whatever you want to call it, it's sneaky and I am doing my part to help other people not have to spend anymore of their hard earned money when they don't have to.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 9:09 pm 

"How about a 12mm/8mm shoulder bolt that sells for $120. Common! it wasn't even made from gold plated platinum with a silver lining"

Funny you should mention that. I've seen many items on ebay that are priced absurdly high. There might be a few legit listing errors by ebay sellers, but there are some very suspicious ones as well. I have a feeling that there's a lot of money laundering going on through ebay. As long as ebay makes their 10%, they probably could care less. Since ebay buyers and sellers are global, all you need is a paypal account - based in any country - to siphon money to another country without raising any international banking suspicions. I suspect that the "buyer" of that shoulder bolt may have purchased dozens of 'em, and threw them in the trash. Actually, it's quite an efficient way to transfer money from point A to point B. . . . for a mere 10% service charge.

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 9:50 pm 

All very interesting.
I remember looking into a "mail order"business back in the '60's, where one scheme was to advertise products that you didn't possess -by magazine or tabloid ads- and when you got an order, you would buy the item from the distributor and have it drop shipped to the customer.

No difference here, except that now a consumer can investigate a plethora of sources. If one doesn't want to bother to do that, what's there to get aggravated about? The drop shipper saved you the time and energy of shopping around.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 1:22 pm 

I just got a price alert from camelcamelcamel.com a 24" monitor I was watching dropped it's price from $139 down to $99. Original amazon price $204.

if anyone else is interested:
https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2452 ... B00EZSUVHK

I am not affiliated with whoever is selling it.

You're Welcome

Last edited by Flinx on Dec Thu 07, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 1:28 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Flinx wrote:
I just got a price alert from camelcamelcamel.com a 24" monitor I was watching dropped it's price from $139 down to $99. Original amazon price $204.

if anyone else is interested:
https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2452 ... B00EZSUVHK

I am not affiliated with whoever is selling it.

Amazon is not the be-all and end-all .... it's just another place to buy if the price and terms are right. Most of us have know about on line shopping vs price comparing for many years. It's not news and neither is drop-shipping.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2017 11:55 pm 

Drop shipping works fine...unless there's a return.

I sold a book on half.com, and unbeknownst to me the buyer sold it on Amazon, and he asked me to ship it directly to some woman - what did I know. Again, unbeknownst to me she balked due to description processed a return; I got the book back in the mail and said *** book-manna from heaven, resold it online before my purchaser got around to telling me there was a return. He finally explained all this drop-ship crap and I told him There's No Free Lunch.

My turn to moonwalk Sucker.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2017 12:20 am 

I bought a dozen Post It Note pads -package size 6"x3"x2.5"- on eBay last week for $5.48 with free shipping. Yesterday the mailman delivers a box with a shipping label from Sams Club, measuring 13"x9"x5", with the merchandise inside.

Now how anyone can make money on this, I have no clue, but don't really care who shipped them; I got what I paid for.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next