Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 14, 2017 9:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Am I expecting too much from buyers
PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 5:45 pm 

We are all aware of the Ebay shipping calculator and its inaccuracies.

It is especially true with oversize Fed Ex shipments.

On three recent occasions, I refunded buyers an average of $20 each when the actual shipping that I was charged was significantly less than the buyer paid.

In each case I send a message notifying them of what I was doing.

In no case did I receive any kind of thank you or acknowledge message.

Should I give up and just keep the extra $$$?

Or should I keep doing the good deed because it is what I know is right?

Seeking opinions.

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

Post subject: Re: Am I expecting too much from buyers
PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 6:34 pm 

I would sure thank you if you refunded some of the shipping. I often send private messages to the sellers if they have done a good job on the transaction.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 7:11 pm 

Your being an honest person, don't change.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 8:02 pm 

Most buyers just prefer to leave positive feedback and leave it at that. It's a business transaction with an anonymous seller, so most people are not going to do much else. I remember when I worked with the general public; got very few thank you's, even when a complaint was resolved to their satisfaction. That's just the way people are. Always have been.

You're doing the right thing. Eventually, someone will acknowledge it.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 8:22 pm 

Don't expect a 'Thank You' too often. Just realize that in your mind you are doing the right thing. Don't change your policy. eBay provides a shipping discount for many sellers and I like to share that with my buyers where applicable. It really comes into play when shipping internationally. You never really know what kind of shipping discount you will receive until payment is collected and you print a shipping label. Personally, I ALWAYS thank sellers for shipping refunds but that's just me. I send an eBay message to them along with leaving it as part of their feedback. Keep doing what you're doing which is providing "superior customer service" which was strongly reinforced while I was working as a pharmacist @ Safeway. BTW--I NEVER use the eBay shipping calculator. It appears to be too flawed with errors.

Craig R

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 8:26 pm 

I do calculate shipping using the weight and dimensions, works out well. Usually a little over when time to ship because of my shipping discount. Haven't been any flaws or errors, only the seller might create the errors.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 8:45 pm 

It's nice you do the right thing. Keep it up if it makes you happy and feeling good.
Even though you may not get a thank you, the buyer still appreciates it

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 10:14 pm 

I have refunded partial shipping charges to buyers; some reply and some don't. I get a discount from eBay because I use Priority almost exclusively--I do not refund for that because it is my belief that this discount just about pays for the shipping charges I lose when a package is lost (and the PO will not give it back), or when the PO says I owe more shipping even though the package is lighter than claimed.

It all works out; sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 12:00 am 

People are not polite today. I belong to a machinist forum; I offered up for free a piece of mill tooling I could not use. I didn't even charge for shipping. Guy said he wanted it, gave me an address, I promptly shipped it.
No thanks, no acknowledgment it even arrived, nothing.
I guess that's why I get odd looks when I use my please and thank yous in public, my manners are relics.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 2:19 am 

I look at it this way Art, yes you are gracious and doing the right thing. But if it was myself I would make a partial refund and keep a little for packaging materials, peanuts, bubble wrap, boxes and such.

***"Your best teacher is your last mistake"***

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 2:39 am 

Whenever I get a refund on shipping or any curtesy by a seller, I am sure to thoroughly make them know how thankful I am. I grew up old school where you have manners when dealing with other people. That is something that is very much disappearing today.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 2:43 am 

doug-5er wrote:
I look at it this way Art, yes you are gracious and doing the right thing. But if it was myself I would make a partial refund and keep a little for packaging materials, peanuts, bubble wrap, boxes and such.

I upfront disclose I charge $2 for every auction for packing materials and $5 for foreign shipments.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 3:17 am 

decojoe67 wrote:
Whenever I get a refund on shipping or any curtesy by a seller, I am sure to thoroughly make them know how thankful I am. I grew up old school where you have manners when dealing with other people. That is something that is very much disappearing today.

Same here, even in getting help on a forum like this I make sure to give thanks. People that contribute don't have to, they're donating both time and knowledge and I appreciate both.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 4:09 am 

oldradio99 wrote:

It is especially true with oversize Fed Ex shipments. ................ Should I give up and just keep the extra $$$?........Or should I keep doing the good deed because it is what I know is right?

I may be the odd one out here. Your buyer agreed to pay some stated charge - and they knew what it was - when they placed their bid. I could argue that you should be more accurate in estimating your shipping weight. For a midsize cathedral I would weigh it, estimate a reasonable box size, and add 5# to the unpacked weight. You may be driving bidders away. I've found the shipping calculator fairly accurate when my input is accurate.

And - Are you aware that the Fedex charge you see in the Ebay calculator is sort of an estimate, you are not billed when you print the shipping label but about a month later, and that cost can go up or down depending on their calculation after they handle the package.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 5:42 am 

Dave Allen wrote:
oldradio99 wrote:

It is especially true with oversize Fed Ex shipments. ................ Should I give up and just keep the extra $$$?........Or should I keep doing the good deed because it is what I know is right?

I may be the odd one out here. Your buyer agreed to pay some stated charge - and they knew what it was - when they placed their bid. I could argue that you should be more accurate in estimating your shipping weight. For a midsize cathedral I would weigh it, estimate a reasonable box size, and add 5# to the unpacked weight. You may be driving bidders away. I've found the shipping calculator fairly accurate when my input is accurate.

And - Are you aware that the Fedex charge you see in the Ebay calculator is sort of an estimate, you are not billed when you print the shipping label but about a month later, and that cost can go up or down depending on their calculation after they handle the package.

I am not making the adjustment to the buyer until Fed Ex actually charges me. I have been seeing charges come though within a week.

My measurements and weighing are accurate.

Ebay's calculator does not take into account proportional billing for oversize boxes.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 1:23 pm 

Times have changed....... People are much more deserving than even a generation ago. I also find very little gratitude these days

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 10:54 pm 

There seems to be a lot of Old School here. It's the way we were taught as a a child. How many of us had to write Thank You notes after Christmas and a Birthday. Just continue doing what makes you feel good inside.
Thank You or Thanks seem to be words that are going away.

Freeman.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 3:54 pm 

Freeman wrote:
There seems to be a lot of Old School here. It's the way we were taught as a a child. How many of us had to write Thank You notes after Christmas and a Birthday. Just continue doing what makes you feel good inside.
Thank You or Thanks seem to be words that are going away.

Freeman.

Very well put. I miss the days of people sending greeting cards, making regular calls (not texting! - speak darn it! :x ), saying "take care" when parting, starting letters with "Dear..." and ending with "Sincerely..." and so on and so on. Society seemed to finally decide "why bother" to respectful actions and manners. Not a good road to take.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 10:56 pm 

If you're expecting anything...

It's too much.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2017 4:54 am 

What is happening is the calculator is charging the buyers more at checkout when they pay. They saw a different amount when viewing the listing, which was the correct amount by your dimension, weight, handling charge entered. Some buyers know of the glitch, some dont. Some think you are scamming them. If you are using the calculator, after they pay, go to your listing and type in the buyers zipcode in the shipping handling tab and that will tell the amount they should have been charged, and then refund the difference.

I got sick of dealing with that crap and ebay getting more fees, so I use ebays shipping calculator and see what it is going to cost to ship to the furthest location from me... that is seattle or Boston if on the coasts, and I do a flat rate of that amount, adding a couple dollars. i either do that or do free shipping with the shipping cost added to the items cost. Granted sometimes I make more doing this which isnt entirely honest but the buyer does know the cost at purchase so they cant complain.

Its a darned shame ebay doesnt fix this glitch as its costing buyers money, sellers money in fees, and causing bad will. I'm hoping the next fedex rate increase that it might get fixed by magic somehow.

if you buy something and notice the amount changed, email the seller before paying and tell him what the amount should have been. If they dont send a new invoice ask to cancel the sale.