Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 21, 2018 12:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CRT Rebuilding Equipment
PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 2:55 am 

I hope someone snags this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/222808050326?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

There can't be many of these around anymore.

John

Post subject: Re: CRT Rebuilding Equipment
PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 3:37 am 

Conspicuously missing from the list of included equipment is:

1 Skilled equipment operator, familiar with all aspects of running and maintaining the machinery.

No Console Left Behind!
Come join us @ http://vintagehifi.net/

PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 4:08 am 

Maybe the ETF could use it. I'm sure it will be brought to their attention.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 4:38 am 

I believe the ETF already has a complete set of CRT rebuilding equipment.

There are two issues. One, as pointed out, is that there are very few people with the skills to successfully operate the equipment to rebuild tubes and there is a steep and expensive learning curve. Second, there is also no good source for the new electron guns needed to rebuild vintage CRT's. So even with functional equipment you are still a long way from being able to rebuild CRT's at any level of quality.

For someone who wanted to experiment, that's probably a great deal for everything shown. Would be nice if they had included the name of the rebuilding company that stuff used to belong to.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 5:23 am 

Didn't ETF have a video out, on the process a couple years ago? As I recall it was very labor intensive, and a delicate operation.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 7:36 am 

This section of the ETF website has lots of info about rebuilding:

http://earlytelevision.org/crt_rebuild.html

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 5:24 pm 

Sale pending, stand by for details. This is my retirement job.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 9:40 pm 

I would like to know if the Early Television Foundation has actually (successfully) rebuilt any TV picture tubes.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 24, 2018 11:43 pm 

Harbourmaster wrote:

1 Skilled equipment operator, familiar with all aspects of running and maintaining the machinery.

Ahem....

(Raises hand)

Johnnysan wrote:
I would like to know if the Early Television Foundation has actually (successfully) rebuilt any TV picture tubes.

Apparently you didn’t look very hard.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/first_mu ... build.html

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 12:53 am 

Let me see now. After all these years, and thousands of dollars in donations to ETF, ONE black and white CRT was rebuilt (apparently with the wrong filament).

Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 1:45 am 

Did you even donate?

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 2:22 pm 

miniman82 wrote:
Sale pending, stand by for details. This is my retirement job.

I hope you get it! I'm glad to see this equipment (hopefully) going to an enthusiast rather than the scrap steel pile at a recycling yard somewhere.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 3:17 pm 

It's good to know someone is carrying this on.

I don't think anyone 20 years ago foresaw the resurgence of tube audio or vinyl records, but both those are going quite strong now. There are several companies still manufacturing vacuum tubes, and vinyl sales are the highest grossing section of all music sales.

Do I see a 'resurgence' in CRT based televisions? No, not like tube audio - but I do see the importance of keeping that link to the past alive, and a small but dedicated group of people doing it. It sounds like there are still people who know how to do it. If just one company could keep afloat with the skill and capability to rebuild these tubes, then they could train the next generation of people to carry it on, and it won't be lost.

Perhaps the current vacuum tube manufacturers can be talked into supplying some common guns and filaments? Has anyone tried?

All it takes is one enthusiast benefactor to carry it through the period that all technologies reach eventually, the one between obsolescence and devoted following. Not all obsolete technologies get a following, a lot just slide into forgotten history as something better, cheaper, faster takes it's place, but I can easily see the draw of early television, that living link to a long and important period of world history, as finding it's niche and keeping alive all technology that uses CRT indicators. Eventually all o-scope CRTs will fail - what then?

I believe if this service can stay alive just a bit longer, eventually demand will rise - abut if the ability to service this technology goes away, well then, all is literally lost.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 5:58 pm 

Sol wrote:
I believe if this service can stay alive just a bit longer, eventually demand will rise - abut if the ability to service this technology goes away, well then, all is literally lost.

I agree. I would pay a hefty price for a rebuilt jug. Over on VK it is surprising how many young collectors there are.

In any case, good on miniman for digging deep and buying that gear. Sounds like he knows how to use it too. I sure wish I lived closer to him, I'd volunteer to help for sure.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 7:45 pm 

Sol wrote:
It's good to know someone is carrying this on.

I don't think anyone 20 years ago foresaw the resurgence of tube audio or vinyl records, but both those are going quite strong now. There are several companies still manufacturing vacuum tubes, and vinyl sales are the highest grossing section of all music sales.

Do I see a 'resurgence' in CRT based televisions? No, not like tube audio - but I do see the importance of keeping that link to the past alive, and a small but dedicated group of people doing it. It sounds like there are still people who know how to do it. If just one company could keep afloat with the skill and capability to rebuild these tubes, then they could train the next generation of people to carry it on, and it won't be lost.

Perhaps the current vacuum tube manufacturers can be talked into supplying some common guns and filaments? Has anyone tried?

All it takes is one enthusiast benefactor to carry it through the period that all technologies reach eventually, the one between obsolescence and devoted following. Not all obsolete technologies get a following, a lot just slide into forgotten history as something better, cheaper, faster takes it's place, but I can easily see the draw of early television, that living link to a long and important period of world history, as finding it's niche and keeping alive all technology that uses CRT indicators. Eventually all o-scope CRTs will fail - what then?

Old arcade machines have developed quite the following and good CRTs are in high demand in that hobby as well. Between TV collectors and arcade machine collectors I can see where there is still a reasonable demand for a CRT re-builder.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 25, 2018 10:37 pm 

miniman82 wrote:
Harbourmaster wrote:

Ahem....

(Raises hand)

Hurrah!

Glad to see that this will be put to good use!

No Console Left Behind!
Come join us @ http://vintagehifi.net/

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 5:11 pm 

Jeremy S wrote:
Old arcade machines have developed quite the following and good CRTs are in high demand in that hobby as well. Between TV collectors and arcade machine collectors I can see where there is still a reasonable demand for a CRT re-builder.

Point!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 11:40 pm 

That’s the hope anyway, I figure if I sink $10k into getting the operation set up I’ll recoup it pretty quickly. I know what a good arcade tube goes for, problem with rebuilding them is burned in images. Sure you can replace the gun and get back lost emissions, but nothing cures the burn (not even penicillin lol). If the owner doesn’t care about that, I’ll rebuild them as long as I can source guns. The rest is playtime basically, doing 21” B&W and color stuff, and whatever the 15G guys feel like paying me for experimenting with their science projects. There’s the prewar crowd too I suppose, but there’s so few I doubt there’s much money there. I don’t plan on getting rich doing this anyway, I’m as much invested in cranking out good tubes as the next guy. I have to keep my fleet going too. Lol

PostPosted: Jan Fri 26, 2018 11:48 pm 

miniman82 wrote:
Quote:
Sure you can replace the gun and get back lost emissions, but nothing cures the burn (not even penicillin lol).

I was just wondering if it's possible to wash out the old phosphor and apply a new layer. B/W tubes seem easy (if there's an appropriate solvent to remove the old and a solution to apply the new), but I don't see how one would do color. In fact, I don't know how they got all those RGB dots or bars or stripes aligned properly on the tube face the first time. Does anyone know how that was done?

John

PostPosted: Jan Sat 27, 2018 2:19 pm 

B&W tubes are in fact easy, laying a single phosphor color isn’t a problem if you have the space to do it. Color is beyond the scope of a hobby guy level, it involves photosensitive phosphor deposition and precise equipment we do not have.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 30 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next