Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Thu 22, 2018 3:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Your tips for winning eBay Auctions
PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 6:35 pm 

I've bought stuff on eBay before, but never a live auction, just the "buy it now".

There was a nice Zenith 6D030 on there today, with just one opening bid at 49.99. I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I waited til 8 seconds to go, then bumped the bid. It was a mouse clicking contest after that, with me upping mine twice before the clock ran out and someone else won.

So, do you literally sit on it until 3 or 2 seconds to go before bidding? Or what?

Post subject: Re: Your tips for winning eBay Auctions
PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 6:41 pm 

I use esnipe.com.

I decide ahead of time what I want to spend and place the bid at esnipe. Esnipe puts the bid in the last 6 seconds. No ratcheting bids, no waiting till the last minute to see it end. If the auction ends at 3 AM, I just go to bed and check it in the morning.

If I really want something I bid a lot. If I don't, not so much. If I get it, great. If not, oh well - I didn't think it was worth that much anyway.

All that for a very reasonable cost.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 6:42 pm 

Do you want to win at all costs....or for a price that makes sense for your budget?

In the rational world, i think sniping is the only way to go. Set your price and hit the button only in the last few seconds.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 6:49 pm 

Budward wrote:
So, do you literally sit on it until 3 or 2 seconds to go before bidding? Or what?
Yes.

I bid in the last 1 or 2 seconds.
And my bid is always at least 10 times the current high bid. Yes, 10x or more.

Because I know nobody else has the balls to bid more than one or two steps up.

I've never paid more than 2 bid increments above the high bid at the time I placed mine.

And I won almost 2,000 auctions.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 6:53 pm 

Just a note...

You can go into esnipe settings and put the bid time down to 2 seconds before auction end. Years ago that was the default time, but people were missing bids due to the vagaries of the internet, so the default was changed.

I have lost auctions before due to funky internet connection, so 6 seconds is fine for me. Due to the way ebay bidding works, I might have a $500 bid at esnipe, but the winning bid might be only $150 (actually happened). Then again, I've come in second plenty of times too.

In the end it comes down to who wants it most, and I'm fine with that.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 6:56 pm 

Leigh wrote:
And my bid is always at least 10 times the current high bid. Yes, 10x or more. Leigh

Wow, I guess that would work. A bit steep for this radio, though. That would have been $500.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 7:03 pm 

Budward wrote:
Leigh wrote:
And my bid is always at least 10 times the current high bid. Yes, 10x or more. Leigh
Wow, I guess that would work.
A bit steep for this radio, though. That would have been $500.

You didn't understand the rest of my post.

I've never actually paid more than two bid increments above the high bid when I placed mine.
That's because none of the other bidders has any balls.

There's no time to look at a sale, realize that you've been out-bid, then place another higher bid that's only a couple of increments higher, then look at the sale, realize ...

You get the picture.
It's just a matter of playing the time window.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 7:06 pm 

Leigh's method works, as long as there isn't another like-minded person waiting to bid with a similar high amount.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 7:11 pm 

LarryFS wrote:
Leigh's method works, as long as there isn't another like-minded person waiting to bid with a similar high amount.

That's when you come in second and the seller is very happy.

But yeah I essentially do the same thing when I initially set my bid at esnipe. If you really want something, you have to play the game.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 7:23 pm 

Leigh, you are bidding 10x the increment, not the total price?

Here's how the bids went on this one.
Original bid, there for several days, was 49.99
Me at 8 seconds 64.17 (keyed in and waiting_ to accept)
Other bidder at 6 seconds 70
Me at 4 seconds 71 (button push accepting eBay suggestion)
Other bidder 72 to win

How would you do this one, Leigh?

If I'd used esnipe, would it have ratcheted up, until it reached my max, or would it just done a single bid my max at the time I specified?

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 7:32 pm 

Let's say I decided to put $100 on it at esnipe.

The thing is you don't know what the other snipers actual bids are until they are outbid. Did the bidder at 6 seconds bid $70 or $71, or more? As Leigh said, at that point you want to beat the clock, so going $1 over is a very risky gamble. For all you know the winner might have also put in a proxy bid of $100. If that's the case, you could increment 1$ every minute for a half hour and still lose.

Esnipe would have gone to the bid just over the next highest bid - generally $1 increment each time, up until your full proxy bid is exhausted.

This is also why I never make my proxy bids an even amount. I would have put $101, just in case the other bidder thought the nice even $100 sounded safe.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 8:14 pm 

OK, getting clearer. So, if I'd put in 6 seconds on esnipe, would it place the first bid then? And then if another bidder outbidded it, would it keep trying to rebid every time it was outbid, until time ran out?

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 8:19 pm 

Simply put...

Decide what the "MAX AMOUNT" is you are willing to pay for an item.

Enter THAT bid a minute or two before the end.

Let the chips fall where they may.

-Steve

P.S. I find it odd that someone who refuses to use paypal does so much buying on ebay...

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 9:04 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=331152&p=2772170#p2772170
Leigh wrote:
My MAX is always at least five times the current high bid, higher if I really want it.
That's why I never lost an auction, since nobody else has balls enough to bid that high.

Leigh wrote:
And my bid is always at least 10 times the current high bid. Yes, 10x or more.

Well Leigh, which is it, 5 times, 10 times, or are you getting senior moments now? :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 9:08 pm 

I agree the 'proxy bid' system ebay uses is a bit counterintuitive, but I like it because it only puts the bid just over the preceding bid, up until the full amount of your 'proxy bid' is exhausted. So, there is the amount I am willing to pay (full proxy bid) and the actual winning bid (the point the bidding goes to, sufficient to outbid the other bidders, but not over your full proxy bid).

Not sure how clear I'm being here, or even if the point was misunderstood... :?

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 9:34 pm 

Budward wrote:
OK, getting clearer. So, if I'd put in 6 seconds on esnipe, would it place the first bid then? And then if another bidder outbidded it, would it keep trying to rebid every time it was outbid, until time ran out?

NO Esnipe is only going to put in YOUR MAX BID. In this case of the radio you were after we will assume that you put a big into Esnipe of $105.99 reason for the screwball number selection is... above 100 bucks the increment bid goes up by $2.50 cents. ... so Esnipe will slam your bid in for you at 6 seconds before the auction end. You will win in your illustration of how the end bidding went .. you would win at $71 or $72... Esnipe and Ebay are not going to take any more of your money than the amount necessary to beat the #2 bidders max bid ... by the next increment above whatever that level is. Above $1000 the bid increment is $25.00.

With Esnipe you have to purchase ahead of time "Bid Points" the cost for big points is 1 penny per 1 Dollar of Bidding Power. Esnipe only subtracts 1% of the bid from your points available If you WIN. If you still lose then no charge from them. You do have to buy ahead of time. It looks like many who have already posted to your thread are "Esnipe Members" as am I. You can give them $ 80.00 and if memory serves me at that amount you get 10,000 bid points. Meaning that someday you can win $10,000 worth of auctions before you again run out of bid points.

Hope this clarifys esnipe and how it works for you. It sure beats worrying about your internet connection crapping out at the wrong time or staying up till O'dark Thirty waiting to bid on some item manually. Us Old Guys who have been in Esnipe since way way back when I think we still get Free Wins under 25 bucks? Haven't looked in a while at my account with them.

So if you see me bidding on some item.. I am sport bidding. Playing around and don't intend to win the auction. Or maybe I just bid once cheap and early to mark my place. You will never see me coming until it is too late for any item that I really want.

I once hosed myself on this system. Up for bids was this Zenith Chassis that I really needed. However I failed to talk to a couple friends of mine who also work on old radios. Yup I did win.... but my buddy was #2 bidder down $2.50 below me but the #3 bidder was $100.00 below #2 bidder. So yup my buddy cost me 100 bucks. But mostly it was because neither of us had talked about this chassis and both of us knew we were both looking for one of them.

John k9uwa

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 9:46 pm 

k9uwa wrote:
...So if you see me bidding on some item.. I am sport bidding. Playing around and don't intend to win the auction. Or maybe I just bid once cheap and early to mark my place. You will never see me coming until it is too late for any item that I really want. ...

Nice post John.

I see this a lot, where people will put a min bid on something just in case no one else bids on it. This happened to me just the other day. There was a Bogen R660 I was thinking of bidding on, though I really needed to spend my budget on something else - then I saw it sell to somebody for $1. :x

Ah well.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 10:21 pm 

Budward wrote:
Leigh, you are bidding 10x the increment, not the total price?
How would you do this one, Leigh?
I'd probably bid $500 1 second before bids closed.

I always make a point of calibrating my clock against the ebay clock before I bid.
That way I know what the propagation delay etc are.

You'll notice that the only reason the other bidder's bids went up is because you posted bids.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 11:36 pm 

Leigh wrote:
You'll notice that the only reason the other bidder's bids went up is because you posted bids. - Leigh

That's true. It stayed at 49.99 until I put in my first bid and then literally the second after I put it in, it notified me that I had been outbid.

I didn't understand how a bid works on eBay. I thought it was like raising your card at an auction to say that you bid a specific amount. Didn't realize that eBay views your bid amount as a maximum and ratchets everyone up by the bid increment until someone gets outbid, then notifies that bidder. I'm guessing that the winning bidder had their bid waiting on go, then dropped it in after mine. Or their sniping software was set to drop closer to the auction close. It must have been set somewhere above the winning price, so at that point it was me pushing buttons to accept incrementally higher bids vs. eBay just ratcheting up the other bidder automatically.

So, if I understand it correctly now, the only thing eSnipe adds to the process is automating dropping in your bid at the specified time, hopefully later than the other bidder can react manually or later than his or her sniping software setting.

I now see why you set your bid so high. You're assuming the other buyer(s) will have lower bids set than you, so that when eBay starts ratcheting up, they will hit their limits, you won't, and they either won't have enough time or interest to put in another bid to beat you.

In the end, today's auction turned out OK for me. I wasn't dying for the radio, so I was only ready to pay 75 or 80 for it anyway. I see a lot of them in the 150 range, so it's not at all impossible that the winner had their bid set somewhere around there.

Thanks, everyone.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 29, 2018 11:57 pm 

You can also contact the seller and say something like 'I will pay $100 right now plus whatever you want for shipping.' Most won't do it, but some will. There was an item I wanted and offered $37 for it; buyer refused and eventually relisted for much lower--I wound up getting it for $27.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 45 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next