Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Thu 22, 2018 4:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Your tips for winning eBay Auctions
PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 12:09 am 

Budward wrote:
Leigh wrote:
You'll notice that the only reason the other bidder's bids went up is because you posted bids. - Leigh

That's true. It stayed at 49.99 until I put in my first bid and then literally the second after I put it in, it notified me that I had been outbid.

I didn't understand how a bid works on eBay. I thought it was like raising your card at an auction to say that you bid a specific amount. Didn't realize that eBay views your bid amount as a maximum and ratchets everyone up by the bid increment until someone gets outbid, then notifies that bidder. I'm guessing that the winning bidder had their bid waiting on go, then dropped it in after mine. Or their sniping software was set to drop closer to the auction close. It must have been set somewhere above the winning price, so at that point it was me pushing buttons to accept incrementally higher bids vs. eBay just ratcheting up the other bidder automatically.

So, if I understand it correctly now, the only thing eSnipe adds to the process is automating dropping in your bid at the specified time, hopefully later than the other bidder can react manually or later than his or her sniping software setting.

I now see why you set your bid so high. You're assuming the other buyer(s) will have lower bids set than you, so that when eBay starts ratcheting up, they will hit their limits, you won't, and they either won't have enough time or interest to put in another bid to beat you.

In the end, today's auction turned out OK for me. I wasn't dying for the radio, so I was only ready to pay 75 or 80 for it anyway. I see a lot of them in the 150 range, so it's not at all impossible that the winner had their bid set somewhere around there.

Thanks, everyone.

Your still confused. The fact that Ebay instantly told you that you had been outbid means that BID was already in there well ahead of your bid. You saw 49.99 on the screen but the REAL BID that Ebay already had was well in excess of that number. So you bid and Ebay instantly says sorry your outbid because I still have reserve money left from the previous guys bid. Ebay doesn't show you what his real bid was. They only expose enough to show that they are at that moment top bidder. If you tried to relate the ebay system to a real live auction it would go something like this... Some guy bids on some widget. 10 bucks. You in turn raise your card but have written 100.00 on your card. Auctioneer sees your card and tells the other guy he is OUT as the bid is now 20 bucks to him. So he bids 30 and instantly the auctioneer says sorry your still out because the auctioneer knows that you really are willing to pay 100.00 for that widget. The Auctioneer won't automatically take you to 100.00 in an ebay auction .. the auctioneer ebay will only take as much of your bid as needed to beat the incoming bids. ... or eventually if someone bids 110.00 then you will get an email saying sorry your OUT go bid again. Or if it is at the end of the auction you can't get there quick enough to bid again.. so you get the email that says Sorry about that auction over you didn't win better luck next time.

And your reference to the Esnipe bid above is also wrong. You wouldn't see the maximum that the Esnipe bid was for you would only see the amount needed to beat the other bids that were already shown or hidden from view. Remember Only Ebay knows your real max and they only use enough of your money to allow you to win. Or if your max is exceeded by someone else then they win and you don't.

John k9uwa

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 12:34 am 

Budward wrote:
So, if I understand it correctly now, the only thing eSnipe adds to the process is automating dropping in your bid at the specified time, hopefully later than the other bidder can react manually or later than his or her sniping software setting.

I now see why you set your bid so high. You're assuming the other buyer(s) will have lower bids set than you, so that when eBay starts ratcheting up, they will hit their limits, you won't, and they either won't have enough time or interest to put in another bid to beat you.

Correct on all points.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 1:03 am 

k9uwa wrote:
Your still confused. The fact that Ebay instantly told you that you had been outbid means that BID was already in there well ahead of your bid. You saw 49.99 on the screen but the REAL BID that Ebay already had was well in excess of that number. So you bid and Ebay instantly says sorry your outbid because I still have reserve money left from the previous guys bid.

I figured this out, after writing the post, by looking at the bid history including the automatic bids. It shows the following, from the winning bid back to the first bid:
71.00 at Jan 26, 1:42:44 pm PST - Winning bidder
70.00 at Jan 29, 9:11:39 am PST - Me upping the bid by clicking the button from eBay
67.17 at Jan 26, 1:42:44 pm PST - Winning bidder
66.17 at Jan 29, 9:11:33 am PST - The bid amount I entered first. Same time stamp as 49.99
49.99 at Jan 29, 9:11:33 am PST - Me. I didn't bid this, so I guess this is some sort of eBay default
49.99 at Jan 22, 9:11:41 am PST - "Starting price"

Note the time stamps on the winner bidder are 3 days ago. And the starting price is 7 days ago.

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing 49.99 was a reserve set by the seller. The auction showed "1 bidder" when I placed the first bid at 66.17. So, I guess the winner had already placed a bid higher than mine, but eBay hadn't raised his bid beyond the reserve.

So, if there's no reserve and you're the first bidder, it goes directly to your max? But if there is a reserve, it shows 1 bidder at the reserve price? The listing didn't show a reserve, but maybe eBay doesn't do that.

Thanks again, everyone.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 1:20 am 

Budward wrote:
k9uwa wrote:
Your still confused. The fact that Ebay instantly told you that you had been outbid means that BID was already in there well ahead of your bid. You saw 49.99 on the screen but the REAL BID that Ebay already had was well in excess of that number. So you bid and Ebay instantly says sorry your outbid because I still have reserve money left from the previous guys bid.

I figured this out, after writing the post, by looking at the bid history including the automatic bids. It shows the following, from the winning bid back to the first bid:
71.00 at Jan 26, 1:42:44 pm PST - Winning bidder
70.00 at Jan 29, 9:11:39 am PST - Me upping the bid by clicking the button from eBay
67.17 at Jan 26, 1:42:44 pm PST - Winning bidder
66.17 at Jan 29, 9:11:33 am PST - The bid amount I entered first. Same time stamp as 49.99
49.99 at Jan 29, 9:11:33 am PST - Me. I didn't bid this, so I guess this is some sort of eBay default
49.99 at Jan 22, 9:11:41 am PST - "Starting price"

Note the time stamps on the winner bidder are 3 days ago. And the starting price is 7 days ago.

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing 49.99 was a reserve set by the seller. The auction showed "1 bidder" when I placed the first bid at 66.17. So, I guess the winner had already placed a bid higher than mine, but eBay hadn't raised his bid beyond the reserve.

So, if there's no reserve and you're the first bidder, it goes directly to your max? But if there is a reserve, it shows 1 bidder at the reserve price? The listing didn't show a reserve, but maybe eBay doesn't do that.

Thanks again, everyone.

You have it correct. And as to reserve yes or no that is the sellers option to set a start bid and a reserve price if they want to do so when they create the auction. Two things here. Many people hate "Reserve Auctions" and also Ebay charges you an insert fee based on the reserve price. Where if you just list with a start price of 50 bucks or 1000 there is no charge to place the auction. Seller is only charged if the item sells. But yes you have it correct. that winner may well have had $500 in his real bid to Ebay. But they only needed 71.00 to take you out. So that becomes the hammer price.
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 1:21 am 

fifties wrote:
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=331152&p=2772170#p2772170
Leigh wrote:
My MAX is always at least five times the current high bid, higher if I really want it.
That's why I never lost an auction, since nobody else has balls enough to bid that high.

Leigh wrote:
And my bid is always at least 10 times the current high bid. Yes, 10x or more.

Well Leigh, which is it, 5 times, 10 times, or are you getting senior moments now? :wink:

Hmm, still waiting for Leigh to weigh in on this apparent double-talk... :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 1:44 am 

fifties wrote:
fifties wrote:
Well Leigh, which is it, 5 times, 10 times, or are you getting senior moments now? :wink:
Hmm, still waiting for Leigh to weigh in on this apparent double-talk... :wink:
Understand that I started with the bay from its inception.

I fine-tuned my interface over the years.

I've not bid on anything in the 21st Century.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 2:30 am 

So I'm trying to understand the difference between ebay's proxy bidding and esnipe. I have always had a laggy internet connection so what I have always done for an item I really want is to bid the max I am willing to pay in the last few minutes of the auction.

I get that esnipe will prevent me from having to be on it and bid in the last few minutes. I get that bidding later in the process helps prevent others from figuring out where my max is. What are the other differences between the two?

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 3:58 am 

The only difference is that eSnipe will automatically place your bid in the last few seconds, whereas with proxy bidding you would place your maximum bid at a convenient time for yourself, and it would show in the bidding page as one increment over the previous high bid, or if that bidder had a hidden reserve, would bump him up, to either be right on top of, or underneath yours.

And of course their service isn't free. Here's their FAQ page;
https://www.esnipe.com/faq

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 4:02 am 

If you really have to have it, bid painfully high and watch it to the last second ready to bid more.
If you only kinda want it, bid something comfortable and forget it, if you win, its a big surprise.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 4:18 am 

madlabs wrote:
So I'm trying to understand the difference between ebay's proxy bidding and esnipe. I have always had a laggy internet connection so what I have always done for an item I really want is to bid the max I am willing to pay in the last few minutes of the auction.

The "last few minutes" doesn't even put you into the game unless you put in an ungodly high bid. A sniping service is the only way to play Ebay, especially with a laggy connection. You can start an Esnipe account for $5 which gives you $500+ worth of sniping bids.

Ebay's proxy bid will let someone raise their bid $1 at a time until they're just ahead of your max bid. A sniping service conceals your interest until the very last seconds (I use 3) then puts in your highest max bid. Other bidders - the "nibblers" - don't have time to react....OR....they really did want it more than you did and their conventional bid is still higher than your snipe bid.

The best explanation I've heard is that there is NEVER a good reason to share your interest, your identity, or your bidding intentions until the last minute, even at a live auction.

Have you ever stood behind a post or tall piece of furniture at a live auction, visible to the auctioneer but not to another bidder? If you have a reasonable max price in mind, doing this can demoralize the flippers and speculators that try to "read" their competition.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 6:04 am 

Dave Allen wrote:
The best explanation I've heard is that there is NEVER a good reason to share your interest, your identity, or your bidding intentions until the last minute, even at a live auction.

There are two conditions under which I will sometimes "share my interest" on eBay.

One is, I have occasionally seen a seller pull an auction when it doesn't have any bids after the first few days. If there's something I'm really interested in, but I suspect no-one else gives a rat's ***, I may put in a minimum opening bid (exactly the opening amount) early in the auction. Just to let the seller know somebody out there is interested. If anyone bids even one increment more, I will be outbid, which is fine. My real bid will come in the closing 2 seconds. And yes, I enter my real bid even if no-one else has bid during the entire course of the auction... Just in case there's someone else waiting with a snipe bid.

The other time I'll put in a minimum opening bid is to prevent an item I kinda-sorta want from passing with no bidders. This is a bid I place with no intention of rebidding. If I get an outbid notice, c'est la vie. But either someone else has to bid, or else I get it as the default. I've never won an auction like that, but I have put in a minimum opener on occasion for that reason.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 10:25 am 

I will place a bid early on if there are no other bidders when the seller has a ridiculously low shipping amount listed. This will prevent the seller from making any changes to the listing later on.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 3:01 pm 

I like it---keep 'em honest!!

I just realized that noone gave the really concise answer to the OP's question:

How to win more auctions? Bid higher.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 4:04 pm 

Johnnysan wrote:
I will place a bid early on if there are no other bidders when the seller has a ridiculously low shipping amount listed. This will prevent the seller from making any changes to the listing later on.

Good to know!

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 4:16 pm 

pixellany wrote:
How to win more auctions? Bid higher.

That's very true. :D

But the flip side of it is, Don't stick a high bid out there early.

People will just chip away at your bid for a week, trying to find your maximum, and you'll end up paying a lot more than otherwise.

Last edited by palegreenthumb on Jan Wed 31, 2018 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 4:49 pm 

Leigh wrote:

- Leigh

So you've not bid on eBay in over 17 years? And you're giving advice on bidding there?

The world has changed, Leigh. And so has eBay.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 5:11 pm 

After finding the object of your desire in the auction, search past auctions for previous wins. Use those prices to set a SNIPE of at least double or triple, that is if the item is worth it to you. Then let it ride...

I will also admit I have not been in a bid war in several years, none the less I still buy from ebay as BIN for many household items that are far to pricey locally, occasionally, Amazon & Walmart have come up cheaper than ebay's BIN...

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 7:36 pm 

In regards when and time to list it didn't make any difference. Some buyers work nights and some on weekends, Been a member since 1998 and found it to be a tossup.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 7:45 pm 

wiscojim wrote:
Leigh wrote:

- Leigh

So you've not bid on eBay in over 17 years? And you're giving advice on bidding there?

Ebay's operation and algorithms have not changed.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Jan Tue 30, 2018 9:18 pm 

wiscojim wrote:
Leigh wrote:

- Leigh

Leigh's tactic is perfectly valid in the 21st century and still the best one if you absolutely want to win an item and (important) have unlimited funds to invest in your hobby.
Though It would be pretty naïve to think that you are the only one knowing and using this tactic, or "having the balls" sniping 10 times or more the current price at the last second. Sooner or later you'll be competing with another bidder using the same tactic and you'll end up either being outbid (no big harm) or worse, being the "unlucky winner" of a 1.000$ little AA-5 radio. This is the reason why sometimes you can see unrealistically high closing bids on eBay without any bid shilling involved.
A very "risky" tactic, IMO.
There is allways someone somewhere with "bigger balls"...

Last edited by Tubologic on Jan Tue 30, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 45 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next