Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Wed 22, 2018 8:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ebay may be dumping Paypal for Adyen
PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 4:25 am 

Today I got a notice that Ebay will be introducing Adyen as a payment intermediary but it will slowly take several years to get up to full speed.
Interesting.
What does it really mean?

Post subject: Re: Ebay may be dumping Paypal for Adyen
PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 4:55 am 

eBay is happy to announce plans to further improve the customer experience by intermediating payments on our Marketplace platform. In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for both buyers and sellers. We have signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become our primary payments processing partner. PayPal, a long-time eBay partner, will be a payments option at checkout for eBay buyers.

You do not need to take any action at this time. The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey.

Over the past three years, eBay has transformed its business to drive the best choice, most relevance and most powerful selling platform. Building out our payments capabilities is the next step in that strategy.

Payments intermediation will bring significant benefits for eBay sellers. You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds, and most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced. We’re also working on ways to provide sellers a central place to track and manage their business, which can soon include payments information.

By offering buyers more choice in how they pay and expanding payment options into more geographies, eBay believes sellers will be able to reach more buyers and improve conversion.

The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey. eBay will begin intermediation on a small scale in North America starting in the second half of 2018, expanding in 2019 under the terms of the Operating Agreement with PayPal. In 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of Marketplace customers to the new payments experience.

Again, you do not need to take any action at this time. As eBay gets closer to the initial phase of its intermediation efforts, we will share more details about this process and next steps for sellers. In the meantime, please read the eBay Inc announcement for further information. For any immediate questions or to share feedback, please email paymentsinfo@ebay.com.

We’re looking forward to what’s next, and to getting there with you.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 5:08 am 

Yes... that's the same message i received.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 5:32 am 

I have yet to see an "improvement" from Ebay recently that has been beneficial to anyone but Ebay. Just call me distrustful.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 7:12 am 

And another nail in the coffin. Each year I do fewer and fewer purchases on Ebay due to the rise in scams and unsatisfactory sellers.
The knowledge that they have chosen a non-US company to handle our money (and take profits offshore) is very disheartening.
I wonder how long until the next good venue arises..
Rob

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 7:19 am 

Pbpix wrote:
Today I got a notice that Ebay will be introducing Adyen as a payment intermediary but it will slowly take several years to get up to full speed.
Interesting.
What does it really mean?

It means that the % they extract out of funds going from buyer to seller will increase. Depend on it.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 2:24 pm 

I wonder if they own this new company like they used to own PayPal so they can double dip again.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 3:17 pm 

Bugman wrote:
I have yet to see an "improvement" from Ebay recently that has been beneficial to anyone but Ebay. Just call me distrustful.

+ 1

If they were truly wanting to "improve the customer's experience" they would allow the sellers
to accept any form of payment they wished, like they did when eBay was new and didn't suck
as it does now.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 3:42 pm 

Adyen is a payments processor, Paypal is the actual money. If anyone believes inserting this process (and the company involved) is going to reduce costs they're nuts. Think about it, somebody has to pay the costs involved with Adyen and that is going to be the seller and the buyer, Ebay isn't doing this out of the goodness of their heart or to "improve the experience". Generally how stuff like this works is the intermediate company charges a fee to either the seller, the buyer, or both (processing fee) and in exchange for a company like Ebay allowing them to skim the money they kick back a percentage. I smell a rat.

Here's a big problem as I see it, Adyen accepts 250 different methods of payment including Visa and Mastercard so if one of those methods is used to pay a seller on Ebay who backs up the sale? Ebay? Adyen? Since Paypal wouldn't be involved, if a buyer files a "Not as advertised" claim, and assuming Ebay still processes the claim, what happens if Ebay upholds the claim? Adyen processed the payment so theoretically they would have to process the refund but how and when? Visa and Mastercard aren't going to process an immediate refund, they simply don't work that way so what happens? And if Adyen charged the buyer a processing fee does the buyer get that fee back? If you want some interesting reading, Google "Adyen refunds".

Ebays steady decline is why more and more of my purchases are thru Amazon.

Larry

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 5:59 pm 

Rob wrote: "And another nail in the coffin. Each year I do fewer and fewer purchases on Ebay due to the rise in scams and unsatisfactory sellers."

Well, it depends largely on the type of items that you purchase on eBay. For instance, in the case of vintage transistor pocket radios, I had never acquired one on eBay yet that hadn't been previously worked on (and it showed). Of course, all of those pocket radios were always dead on arrival (as was to be expected). In fact, one of them (a Viscount Model 1001) even had a broken volume switch, and it took nothing short of micro surgery along with a precise fabrication to repair it. Even worse, I never did succeed in repairing the radio at the time as even a recapping failed to get that radio back in operation, and I was then simply working without a schematic. To add to the futility, it even appeared that someone used that particular radio for some kind of electronic project. Given that I found another Viscount Model 1001 on eBay that had a much better case, and actually worked after a recapping, I simply put the non-working radio aside for parts. However, I'm currently giving that Viscount 1001 another look, and I do have a working one for reference at least. In any case, that's why I'm somewhat loathe to purchasing any more of those vintage pocket radios on eBay.

As a whole, I never encountered much of a problem with the sellers as the vast majority of them were reputable, and there are some good bargains on eBay. In fact, I purchased my current 2005 Jaguar XJ8L on eBay in January 2014, and it was a Florida car. Afterwards, I did opt to convert the faulty air suspension system over to coil/springs, and to purchase a set of new W-rated tires. Of course, any used vehicle will require repairs, but I ended up with a spectacular running machine in this case.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 01, 2018 6:15 pm 

bullseyeguyz wrote:
I wonder if they own this new company like they used to own PayPal so they can double dip again.

My very first thought.

Bring back the tit-for-tat feedback, and you'll see ebay soar. Until then, no eBay for me.....

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 12:06 am 

Here is the info from slashdot.
https://news.slashdot.org/story/18/02/0 ... ival-adyen

Tony

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 12:51 am 

Just a new way for ebay to stick it to us...ohh goodie....WA7OPY

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 12:52 am 

opps

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 3:19 am 

The problem is that besides here, Radio Attic and a few other micro sites, there is no other place to sell.

No matter how much we complain, EBay is still the gorilla.

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Feb Fri 02, 2018 4:10 am 

oldradio99 wrote:

No matter how much we complain, EBay is still the gorilla.

And they know it.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 2:38 am 

Adyen is a startup company, also interesting is that Ebay sold off Paypal a couple years ago.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 3:27 am 

Whatever the reason that Ebay chose to do this.... you can bet that it will be better for them ... and not so much better for us.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 9:24 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Findm-Keepm wrote:
Bring back the tit-for-tat feedback
The reason they killed it in the first place was because it was getting to the point where life on eBay was descending into a mutual game of buyer and seller whack-a-mole.

Buyers were becoming increasingly picky knowing they could get eBay and PayPal to pay for their purchases over and over and over because it was cheaper for the companies to just pay them off vs waste man-hours and operations policies being dragged thru the mud over and over and over.

Sellers were starting to offload all their trash for whoever would buy it for whatever price - and same thing.

The whole affair became a stalemate with eBay left holding the bag - which they didn't like - so they had to pick a side. The side they picked was the buyers bec they are most of the membership - so it was a purely economical choice.

Annoying all the sellers over it was just a side effect of doing business for which they were completely unapologetic. Yes it supposedly did its' intended job and killed off all the Mister (or Miss) Me Gimme Mines buyers as well as all the sellers who were selling stuff they dumpster dived for without even bothering to wash off the hamburger grease.

But it also took off a huge number of legitimate buyers and sellers because nobody wanted to tolerate all the drama of either an endless stalemate trying to get eBay to pay for both of their online lives or picking one side and leaving the other side in the dust.

Bringing back the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback would also bring back the same stalemates they had before. The result of course is the same ``you live in my house eat my food and sleep in my bed you follow my rules or you're out on your ear'' scenario that every man on this board has heard a million times growing up.

And eBay don't care about churn (what percentage of members leave vs new members coming in) for the same reason a Ponzi scheme operator don't care: by the time it all collapses everybody will have already taken the money and ran off - leaving ``all the idiots'' holding the bag.

So you're stuck tolerating their world their way if you do and passing all the costs of doing business onto your customers one way and your suppliers the other way - and stuck if you don't because of limited local audience and idiots at your local Chinese-knockoff-goods-mostly swapmeets where different versions of the same thing goes on all over the swapmeet lot.

So it's a sad state of affairs no matter what you do or don't do.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 10:11 am 

Technically speaking... there are no "bad" buyer/customer.
If someone gives you their money in exchange for the goods you offer. They are at your mercy. They have already paid... now the seller has to deliver... no excuses... and cannot blame the hopeful buyer.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next