Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sun 25, 2018 2:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Very attractive Majestic tabletop radio
PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 10:39 pm 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Majestic-BC-SW ... Sw3wVadgnL
I've never seen this model before. Very pleasing lines and details abound on it. I particularly like the stepped pushbutton escutcheons. I suspect it will not go cheaply.

Post subject: Re: Very attractive Majestic tabletop radio
PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 11:38 pm 

Refinished cabinet, mixed style of knobs, replaced grill cloth, band switch decal placed way to high above the knob, if someone want's to pay big bucks for that then go right ahead.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 03, 2018 11:49 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
Refinished cabinet, mixed style of knobs, replaced grill cloth, band switch decal placed way to high above the knob, if someone want's to pay big bucks for that then go right ahead.

I can deal with everything, but that band switch decal is an atrocity. How could you do a fairly nice resto and goof that one so bad?

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 5:11 pm 

The band switch decal along with all the others are placed exactly where the old ones came off. I suspect because of the dark wood they choose to place them on the lighter wood where you could read them. The knobs are all original to the radio they are not mixed match. The grill cloth is just about a perfect match to the old ripped up one. This radio was a mess when I purchased it from the original owners family, but the wood was perfect and I liked the push buttons. When I turned it on and the I saw the green glow of the dial, I fell in love with it. It was easy to work on and sounds excellent. Granted I am no woodworker but the color of the wood was not changed, just looks clean refinished.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 8:56 pm 

Are those Philco decals?

You're gonna get crap around here no mater what you do :roll: Good luck.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 9:58 pm 

I must say that all-in-all the set is really sharp and I would love to have it in my collection. I am surprised about the band decal though. I personally would've put in line with the other decals and corrected the factory error. It is a little distracting on a otherwise very nice set.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 9:58 pm 

Here's a couple of 1938 Majestics. The model 61 has the same cabinet as your 61EB. The knobs are all of the same style, no mixing of styles or sizes.

Majestic 61

Majestic 68

This is the knob that was used on both models

This is why, I believe, that the 61EB possibly has the wrong knobs or at least the wrong mixture of knobs. Rarely is the tuning knob ever smaller in size then any of the other control knobs on a typical 1930s radio. There's always exceptions but I seriously doubt that this radio is one of them. These may all be the knobs that came with your Majestic when you acquired it but I question if these were all of the knobs that came with the radio when it originally left the factory.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 04, 2018 11:18 pm 

The knob under the dial controls the pushbutton VS the dial pointer. It has to be much smaller than the other four or it would not work in that location. It would overlap the dial bezel. This radio was in the same family since new, and was never restored in any way. I doubt anyone would have taken the knobs off and repalced them with different ones, it does not make sence, but your entitled to your opinion.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 4:22 am 

Generally this is a fun club with a vast wealth of knowledge and compliments except there always seems to be that one that has to pick someone's work apart without ever looking in their own backyard first.

Unless a person is lucky enough to find a radio in 100% perfect original condition which there isn't there will always be someone that has to pick apart your restoration and all of us would be very happy if the original grill cloth for every radio ever made was available for purchase.

I think you have a radio there to be proud of.

Kent.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 8:06 pm 

As will all items that come up for sale, in this forum category it's open to critiquing. Everyone should understand that and unless it's done in a unfair or harsh manner, should not take it personal. Anyone, including myself, who's sold sets has been through the this. If it was a set shown in another category as a members latest find or restored piece, it wouldn't be anyone's place to openly critique it.
I personally would like to have the set in my collection (if I had still had space) and I wish the seller the best of luck with the sale.