Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sun 24, 2018 5:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ebay withholding my money
PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 2:57 am 

Years ago, I was a regular buyer and seller on Ebay, until they went to "Paypal only" and all of the "buyer is always right" rules and I closed my account.

After a few years, I opened a new account for the purpose of buying only and other than people who don't know how to pack, things have gone pretty good. There have been a couple of times when the seller didn't deliver and I had to get a refund from "buyer protection." In such cases with honest buyers such as myself, "buyer protection" is a blessing. However, to a seller dealing with a dishonest buyer, "buyer protection" can be a curse.

About a week and a half ago, I decided I was tired of dealing with all the flakes on the Facebook "baby clothes and cell phones" pages and decided to list a few things on Ebay. The first item ended the other day and my funds went to my PayPal account without a problem and I immediately shipped the item. Tonight, another item ended and those funds posted to my account, free and clear. However, the funds for the third item show as being "on hold" in my PayPal account and upon further investigation, Ebay can hold my money for up to 21 days and they say that once tracking shows that the item was delivered, they'll release my funds within 3 days (unless, of course, the buyer files a claim).

I don't mind telling you that I don't like the idea of having to ship an item before the funds are "free and clear" and it's also got me to thinking that maybe I should go back to being a "buyer only."

Post subject: Re: Ebay withholding my money
PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 3:07 am 

A dishonest buyer just exploited this policy and a glitch in the post office reporting to cost me 300 dollars and I couldn't do a damn thing about it. Needless to say, I'm on the fence about any future selling.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 4:21 am 

The radio I sold was $25+$15 shipping and I don't even want to lose that amount. If I lost $300 because of some dishonesty or computer glitch, I'd be out for blood.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 4:33 am 

A lot depends on what you are selling,

Electronics is one area they routinely have the limits on as there are a lot of scams by sellers.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 7:48 am 

eBay has a 25 item sale policy. Once you have sold 25 items, they will not detain your funds, unless of course the buyer files a claim.

I can tell you that compared to brick and mortar retail sales, this is much better than dealing with shoplifting, or "shopworn" merchandise that then must be marked down.

And yes, there will always be someone who games the system; just a part of on-line retail sales (the cost of doing business).

PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 10:35 pm 

Also, If starting selling again, the item you sold that had the funds held, probably was out the realm of what you normally sell. I had someone freak out because they sold me a radio and the funds were held...they normally sell jewelry...they thought it was my fault. LOLZ!

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 3:56 am 

Fifties is right: Once you become an "experienced" seller they don't hold your funds any more.

BUT:

Did you folks see eBay's announcement that they are leaving PayPal and will begin "intermediating" (a lovely piece of Newspeak) payments through Adyen later this year? I bet that this means that eBay will start holding all payments until tracking shows that the item has been delivered. They already require top-rated sellers to use shipping with tracking, so it won't be hard for them to do this once payments flow through eBay rather than PayPal. Sellers should probably also expect to get just a single payment at the end of the month after eBay has deducted all their fees.

They say this change is good for buyers and sellers, but what they really mean is that it's good for their profits. As 20-year seller I usually cringe when eBay says something is going to be better for me. One tip-off is that they haven't released any of the details about how this will work...

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 9:00 pm 

What Ebay really wants to do is become the next Amazon and run off all the "small time" sellers, like myself.

Here's something else I'm dealing with right now. We know how lousy USPS tracking can be. Well, currently, I have a radio that still shows as "in transit to next facility"; but, after speaking to the owner, they got the radio several days ago. However, since the post office is so careless and hasn't scanned the package as being "delivered", ebay is holding my money until the 6th. Had the post office done what they were supposed to do, I'd already have the funds.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 01, 2018 9:18 pm 

radiotvnut wrote:

Quote:
We know how lousy USPS tracking can be. Well, currently, I have a radio that still shows as "in transit to next facility"; but, after speaking to the owner, they got the radio several days ago. However, since the post office is so careless and hasn't scanned the package as being "delivered", ebay is holding my money until the 6th. Had the post office done what they were supposed to do, I'd already have the funds.

Yup. That's happened to me too (the bad tracking part, not the money holding part). Once you become an "experienced" seller eBay will stop holding your money when USPS fails to log delivery, but if you become a top-rated seller then the times when USPS fails to scan a label will count as "tracking not uploaded and scanned by USPS" and can threaten your top-rated seller status and discount. I know why eBay started requiring USPS scans: Some sellers were uploading dummy tracking numbers to meet the requirement for tracking, but were actually shipping by cheaper methods without tracking. But it still seems unfair to punish a seller because USPS screwed up.

eBay is just more and more controlling of buyer and seller behavior. They have drifted far away from being the world's biggest garage sale and I feel more and more like I'm an employee instead of a free agent. But I keep using eBay because there's just no better option for buying and selling radios in my area.

John

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 4:12 am 

glowsinthedark wrote:
radiotvnut wrote:

Quote:
I know why eBay started requiring USPS scans: Some sellers were uploading dummy tracking numbers to meet the requirement for tracking, but were actually shipping by cheaper methods without tracking. But it still seems unfair to punish a seller because USPS screwed up.
John

Not quite. Ebay will check with USPS and the others to verify the tracking number is valid. Try fat fingering a valid number and see what happens. You will get a very curt error message.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 10:50 pm 

I didn't mean that sellers were using made-up tracking numbers that were not valid. I meant that they were pulling valid tracking numbers off of USPS labels, but never actually shipping with those numbers. You can get a valid tracking number from various pre-printed USPS forms (such as an insurance form) at the PO. If you give that number to eBay it will show up as valid (that is, a possible tracking number) when they check with USPS, but it will never be scanned if you ship some other less expensive way.

People were also uploading tracking numbers to comply with their stated shipping time, but in fact shipping much later. For both of these reasons eBay started checking whether and when a package was first scanned by the carrier.

John

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 10:57 pm 

I've had a few sellers who would instantly create a tracking number and it took them a week, or more, to actually hand the package over to the carrier. In my mind, "shipped" is not when the label was created. "Shipped" is when the package was actually handed to the carrier and is in the system.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 02, 2018 11:05 pm 

Right. That was a common dodge before eBay started confirming when tracking numbers were actually scanned by the carrier.

But there are a few situations where it's legitimate: Sometimes I have promised to ship within 1 day of payment, but the buyer wants me to delay shipping because s/he is away from home. By creating the label and then holding the package I could make both of us happy. By requiring shipping labels to be scanned eBay has now made it harder for buyers and sellers to resolve such problems easily...

John