Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Jun Fri 22, 2018 12:10 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 3:11 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 4464
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HEATHK ... 2413708237

I am used to seeing these unsold at radio meets

_________________
Art's Antique Radio Collection - A work in progress

http://www.myantiqueradio.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 4:36 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Thu 14, 2006 3:27 pm
Posts: 10765
Location: Carmel, Indiana
Here's your answer. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 28&_sop=16

Maybe you should start buying these up and reselling them. I think it's the audio fanatics that are paying the big bucks and not us old radio collectors.

When searching for completed auctions on all capacitor checkers, the Heathkits seem to be way on top. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 28&_sop=16

_________________
Michael Feldt
www.indianaradios.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 5:51 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 3282
Location: Niantic, CT , USA
No one of this forum spending that much on one. Myself included.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 6:22 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 12221
Location: S. Dartmouth MA 02748-1225 USA
Wowsa!

$380 bucks! Good grief, time to to scour the Ham flea marts, these did go for $10 not long ago...

Even the manual is bringing $40 :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 7:05 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Mon 18, 2010 2:13 am
Posts: 16512
Location: Dayton Ohio
Those were always less than $50 at hamfests.

Heck, you're better off with a Sprague Tel-Ohm-Mike or other better cap testers with actual meters to measure the leakage current.

-Steve

_________________
Radio Interests
-Zenith
-Sparton
-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 8:31 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Mon 30, 2012 2:03 am
Posts: 357
Location: Port Orchard, Wa
I agree with steve. About 4 years ago at a hamfest, I saw a Pyramid CRA-2 at a Hamfest. I had never seen one before.
But since it was only $10.00, I bought it. I didn't really understand the benefit of the meter until I watched this video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycf05jt3_ZY
Now I use it a lot. The leakage current and insulation resistance tests really tell you if a capacitor is good or not.
As for the Heathkit IT-28's, I guess the audiophools want them to test their bumblebee and black beauty caps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 12:42 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Tue 15, 2009 9:38 pm
Posts: 1773
Location: Mecosta MI
Chas wrote:
Wowsa!

Even the manual is bringing $40 :shock:


Exactly what I was thinking. :lol: :lol:

Obviously the testers aren't rare.

You'd have to change a lot of Caps to make that pay off. :shock:

Better off buying $450 worth of needed caps, & saving yourself time in checking for bad caps, why bother anyway? When you finally reach the 450 mark, there will still be plenty of testers left for sale, if you're not tired of changing out caps by then.

If you plugged all 6 test leads into one, you might be able to BS & convince the *bumblebee lovers* that the "Rich Smooth Tube Sound" will soon be going away. :wink:

Lloyd
__________________________________________________________

Advice-It's like Cooking. You have to Taste it First, before you Feed it to Others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 1:01 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 12499
Location: Omak,wa,usa
Hello Guys,
wow that is just crazy those prices I can buy a used Sencore Z-meter and I do need one too since my LC-53 stopped working

Sincerely Rich


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 2:13 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Mon 18, 2010 2:13 am
Posts: 16512
Location: Dayton Ohio
Yes, the Sencore Z-Meters are even better. Even the lesser Sencore CA55 usually goes for reasonable prices.

oldradiogeorge wrote:
I agree with steve. About 4 years ago at a hamfest, I saw a Pyramid CRA-2 at a Hamfest. I had never seen one before.
But since it was only $10.00, I bought it. I didn't really understand the benefit of the meter until I watched this video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycf05jt3_ZY
Now I use it a lot. The leakage current and insulation resistance tests really tell you if a capacitor is good or not.
As for the Heathkit IT-28's, I guess the audiophools want them to test their bumblebee and black beauty caps.


The Pyramid CRA-2 is a very nice one! I started off with the earlier CRA-1. It makes all the difference IMHO.
Solar and even lafayette have advanced models with milliammeters.

I went off and made my own design which is now my favorite next to the LC-101 Z-Meter.

-Steve


Attachments:
homemadecaptester copy.jpg
homemadecaptester copy.jpg [ 202.53 KiB | Viewed 1278 times ]

_________________
Radio Interests
-Zenith
-Sparton
-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 12:10 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 4279
Location: NJ, 07645
Wow. Audiofools.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 1:46 am 
Member

Joined: Aug Sat 02, 2014 3:59 am
Posts: 986
Location: Brooklyn, NY 11217
azenithnut wrote:
Yes, the Sencore Z-Meters are even better. Even the lesser Sencore CA55 usually goes for reasonable prices.

oldradiogeorge wrote:
I agree with steve. About 4 years ago at a hamfest, I saw a Pyramid CRA-2 at a Hamfest. I had never seen one before.
But since it was only $10.00, I bought it. I didn't really understand the benefit of the meter until I watched this video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycf05jt3_ZY
Now I use it a lot. The leakage current and insulation resistance tests really tell you if a capacitor is good or not.
As for the Heathkit IT-28's, I guess the audiophools want them to test their bumblebee and black beauty caps.


The Pyramid CRA-2 is a very nice one! I started off with the earlier CRA-1. It makes all the difference IMHO.
Solar and even lafayette have advanced models with milliammeters.

I went off and made my own design which is now my favorite next to the LC-101 Z-Meter.

-Steve


Where is the schematic?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 2:11 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Mon 18, 2010 2:13 am
Posts: 16512
Location: Dayton Ohio
sfox7076 wrote:
Where is the schematic?


Image

-Steve

_________________
Radio Interests
-Zenith
-Sparton
-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 3:27 am 
Member

Joined: Aug Sat 02, 2014 3:59 am
Posts: 986
Location: Brooklyn, NY 11217
Great work Steve. It will take me a bit to digest this. The multi-transformer approach is really a great idea. What is the max voltage you have available? Why did you use a 15v winding for the 1629 (with the dropping resistor)? Transformer you had or a different reason?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 3:36 am 
Member

Joined: Sep Tue 30, 2014 6:08 am
Posts: 2691
Location: The Old Dominion VA 23518
CrumblingWires wrote:
Wowsa!

Better off buying $450 worth of needed caps, & saving yourself time in checking for bad caps, why bother anyway? When you finally reach the 450 mark, there will still be plenty of testers left for sale, if you're not tired of changing out caps by then.

Lloyd
__________________________________________________________

Advice-It's like Cooking. You have to Taste it First, before you Feed it to Others.
[/quote]


+1

_________________
Brian
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since 1979"
USN Retired 1984-2006 (Avionics/Cal)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 1:58 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Thu 14, 2006 3:27 pm
Posts: 10765
Location: Carmel, Indiana
At first I thought that was a layout to a Rube Goldberg machine but I guess that what you get when you draw out schematics free hand. Nice engineering there, Steve.

_________________
Michael Feldt
www.indianaradios.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 3:01 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Mon 18, 2010 2:13 am
Posts: 16512
Location: Dayton Ohio
Thanks Michael, I should re-write the schematic, but its what I put together back when I built it.
I had to redo several things along the way to get it the way I wanted it.

sfox7076 wrote:
Great work Steve. It will take me a bit to digest this. The multi-transformer approach is really a great idea. What is the max voltage you have available? Why did you use a 15v winding for the 1629 (with the dropping resistor)? Transformer you had or a different reason?


The leakage voltage maxes out about 700 or so. Not many reasons to go that high really.

I can't remember where I found that second transformer for the bridge circuit, but most parts came from an old Conar cap tester I tore apart. I didn't like that most cap testers, the negative lead is not at ground potential, so I did some rearranging to make it so. The 15 volt winding is not only used for the 1629 heater, but also supplies the bridge. The original was about 30-40 VAC. It turned out 15 was plenty to work with.

The whole project was doing what I could with what I had available to me. In the end it was a very satisfying project :D

-Steve

_________________
Radio Interests
-Zenith
-Sparton
-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:12 am 
Member

Joined: Jun Wed 21, 2006 1:56 am
Posts: 887
Location: Katy, Texas
hmmmm perhaps this is the reason?

https://youtu.be/lLQThhf3Brc

FF to 6:08.

IT-11 and IT-28 both selling for quite a bit more than I personally think they should.

Steve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 11:02 pm 
Member

Joined: Jul Mon 24, 2017 3:27 pm
Posts: 105
Location: 01450
I think its all about the magic eye.

_________________
- http://www.nixies.us/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 21, 2018 6:11 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Mon 30, 2012 2:03 am
Posts: 357
Location: Port Orchard, Wa
Apparently, the Heathkits aren't the only ones selling for crazy prices these days.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NRI-11 ... true&rt=nc


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When did these start selling for so much?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 21, 2018 10:13 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Mon 18, 2010 2:13 am
Posts: 16512
Location: Dayton Ohio
Those kit built training course testers are the lowest quality of the lot.

:shock:

-Steve

_________________
Radio Interests
-Zenith
-Sparton
-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: w3jn and 10 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB