Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 20, 2018 9:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Watchers don't mean anything anymore
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 7:37 pm 

In the old days of Ebay, watchers usually meant that you were going to get some action on your item. Today, that's often not the case. I just sold an item on there and it had 80+ watchers. Even though I was satisfied with what the item sold for, I just knew that with that many watchers, there was going to be some serious snipe bidding at the end. Well, guess what? Not a single last minute bid. I think these watchers are just lookers who have a similar item and they want to see what the item goes for, so they'll know rather or not it's worth their time to even list theirs.

Currently, I have a record player on there and it's round two for it. The first time, I had a couple hundred views and a handful of watchers; but, no bids and it looks like round two is going to be the same way.

Personally, when I see something on Ebay that I want, I enter my maximum bid into esnipe and I don't watch or even look at the item until it's over. If I win the bid, that's great. If not, I'll wait on the next item.

Post subject: Re: Watchers don't mean anything anymore
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 7:38 pm 

I handle watchers and potential snipers by surprise. If I have an auction with lots of watchers and no bidders, I cancel it
about 2 hours before ending. I don't sell to snipers, period.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 7:54 pm 

radiotvnut wrote:
...Personally, when I see something on Ebay that I want, I enter my maximum bid into esnipe and I don't watch or even look at the item until it's over. If I win the bid, that's great. If not, I'll wait on the next item.

Same here. Somebody wants my money, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 8:52 pm 

Watching is also used as a bookmarker. If there are no bids then often a seller will reduce the price; many buyers just want to think they got a deal and didn't have to pay full price.
I also watch several things I have no intention of buying.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 8:57 pm 

I never watch anything. To me the feature is pointless, and in fact could be negative, just tipping off others that there is interest.

Just what is the advantage, again?

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 9:09 pm 

Personally, I don't care if the bid comes in 3 days before the end of the auction or 3 seconds before the end of the auction. It all translates into money and snipe bidding is the only way I'll bid. I've tried bidding early, only to have some jerk pop in and start entering bids, one right after the other, until I was outbid. Frankly, I don't have time for that kind of junk and if I bid during the last seconds, they don't have a chance to play their games.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 9:55 pm 

I found a lot of watchers are using your item as a selling price guide because they may have one. Or possibly because they sold one 10 years ago too see how much $$$ they lost.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 11:57 pm 

some of them could be your youtube subscribers.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:37 am 

glue_ru wrote:
I handle watchers and potential snipers by surprise. If I have an auction with lots of watchers and no bidders, I cancel it

I don't understand the deal with hating snipers?

The bottom line is, it sells to the HIGHEST BIDDER….PERIOD!

Snipe or no snipe! Who cares if someone uses a sniping service? I don't get it….

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:53 am 

I only snipe, in the last one or two seconds, by hand.
I won almost 2,000 auctions that way.

I always paid one bid increment above the net highest bidder.
My choice of timing does not change that.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 2:28 am 

I usually bid at the last moment. What if I am the only "legit" bidder and the seller has his buddy "shill" the price up? Would not be the first time that has happened.

The ones that get me are the ones that watch a "Buy It Now" item. I ran into one of those about three weeks ago. I needed a lid for my laptop as the hinge broke away from it. Also the inner bezel surrounding the screen was cracked from the hinge damage. The lids alone are being sold, average BIN about $135-150, auctions start out at a bit less. The bezel, about $25-35 average. There was a lid assembly including the screen listed as BIN for $50 with about $10 shipping. Screen was shown as operating, laptop was being parted out for other problems.

When I saw it there were four watchers. So either the seller had four shills "watch" it or four people legitimately thought that they could find a better price on the lid. I knew better, been looking for one since about this time last year. Yeah, I'm cheap, but I bought the laptop in late 2013 for $275 on sale at Staples and could not see spending in repairs what it cost new.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 2:47 am 

I usually snipe bid. The circumstances in which I bid early are very limited, and the most common one is that I bid the minimum opener and never intend to rebid.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:38 am 

Leigh wrote:
I only snipe, in the last one or two seconds, by hand.
I won almost 2,000 auctions that way.

I always paid one bid increment above the net highest bidder.
My choice of timing does not change that.

- Leigh

yes indeed, my method as well, it is nearly flawless, and works 99 times out of 100.

I too have won near as many auctions this exact way.

if I have that rare time that i lose, i don't care and won't worry. there will be another of the intended item, and most likely, I did not "need" it in the first place.

I've also had a few occurrences where the seller ended the item early with no bids.

oh well, it is their loss :roll: .

no skin was removed from my back for two reasons:

1. did not need it anyway.

2. i will be glad to give my money to someone else when another like item comes long.

:wink:

long live the eSniper !

steve

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 3:12 pm 

glue_ru wrote:

This just doesn't make sense to me. So many people snipe that I don't see what the big deal is.
Back when I was buying, I always sniped. Put in my maximum bid and walked away- often I would get out sniped, so I don't get the logic about being anti-sniper.

And to the subject of Watchers, yes, I just don't think they mean much. I often watch an item just so I can easily locate it and see what it sells for. It is a tool for me to track items.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 4:13 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
about 2 hours before ending.

That seems to be a bit of a aggressive obsession towards watchers. Just start your auctions with the least amount of money that you'd accept and forget about them. Let the auctions take their courses. You seem to want to put sole blame on the watchers for not bidding on your auctions any earlier then you think they should and what about those people who aren't watchers at all and don't even care about bidding on any your auctions, are you going to punish them, along with the watchers, by pulling your auctions off 2 hours before they end if there's no bids? I think in the long run your only winding up punishing yourself.

glue_ru wrote:
I don't sell to snipers, period.

Is it really that big a deal if a sniper bids or wins one of your auctions. All a sniper is is a more resourceful and determined person who want's to buy your item and you seem want to punish them for that. It sounds like you want only early low bidders to bid on your auctions because that's all your going to have if you block out the snipers.

Myself, I like the snipers to bid on my auctions. They usually wind up either being the top bidders or they help bump up the final sales price near the end and theyre usually the most appreciative of buyers leaving positive feedbacks and personal thanks for me having offered the items that they were so desperately wanting to buy. I'm going to continue appreciating my watchers and snipers and I guess you'll keep canceling your auctions 2 hours before they end for your watchers and snipers.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 6:41 pm 

Just last night, a sniper with a good feedback score bid on one of my items during the last few seconds (he bumped the price up about $25 and paid instantly). Had I ended the auction before the end so that I could avoid snipers, I would have only been cutting my own throat. I don't care if they bid 30 seconds after I list the item or 30 seconds before the item ends - it all translates into money and all that money spends just the same.

There have also been times where I placed a snipe bid and I was the only bidder. Had the seller done the foolish thing of ending the listing early, he/she would have only been hurting themselves because they would have gotten no bids and I would have eventually bought the same item from another seller, who didn't mind taking my money.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 8:15 pm 

I have no idea why watchers are a problem. I watch auctions all the time just to get an idea of what items sell for, or in case something intrigues me enough to bid on it later on. As far as the seller is concerned, watchers should be a non-event at worst.

As for sniping, while I don't bother with it, I cannot understand why a seller would care. A $50 winning bid is a $50 winning bid, whether it comes in the day the auction opens or when it comes in 5 seconds before closing.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 1:46 am 

glue_ru wrote:

I thought the the purpose of ebay was to actually sell items and make money on them. :roll: Playing mind games with potential buyers doesn't sound like a very good way to do that. It actually sounds like a good way to piss them off and drive them away. I sure wouldn't deal with a seller that I knew pulled that kind of crap. :?

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 2:59 pm 

beat_truck wrote:
glue_ru wrote:

I thought the the purpose of ebay was to actually sell items and make money on them. :roll: Playing mind games with potential buyers doesn't sound like a very good way to do that. It actually sounds like a good way to piss them off and drive them away. I sure wouldn't deal with a seller that I knew pulled that kind of crap. :?

Your so right, Ebay isn't a game for me nor will I spend time dissecting EBayers, better things to do.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 9:39 pm 

it's his loss guys.

one thing's for sure though. potential buyers remember these kinds of antics and believe me, they remember....

i've seen stuff be at 10.99 and within the last 10 seconds of the auction ending the price went to ending around 100 bucks.

as i said before, if someone pulls an auction and it prevents me from sniping, i could not care one stinking bit. it is their loss.

why ? because there WILL be another exact item and there WILL be somebody else who will GLADLY take my money without playing these kinds of schoolyard games.

edit: one too many commas

steve

Last edited by Dutch Rabbit on Mar Wed 14, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 41 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next