Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 14, 2018 1:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can someone 'splain why some ebay sellers part out radios?
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 12:04 am 

I can't see the logic why I see some sellers parting out perfectly good radios. You see the same seller offering the cabinet in one auction, then the chassis in another, then the knobs,etc .. in another. Say they sell the cabinet - then they're stuck with a chassis no one wants. You just end up with a lot of parts that could sit for years before selling - if ever.

Post subject: Re: Can someone 'splain why some ebay sellers part out radio
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 12:08 am 

1 - There is a larger market for individual parts than for complete radios.

2 - The sum of the individual part values greatly exceeds the value of the set (usually).

3 - Handling and shipping are much easier for individual parts than for complete sets.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 12:38 am 

Yep, to make more money than the radio is "worth"

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 12:46 am 

I've picked up some killer deals on 'doorstop' chassis' that the seller otherwise couldn't get rid of, because they were missing tubes, knobs, etc..

That said, I think the practice is heinous and a special place in hell is reserved for those who practice it.

Last edited by Sol on Mar Tue 06, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 12:54 am 

Personally, the only way I'd do that would be if the set was too far gone for economical restoration. Yes, I could get more money by parting stuff out and selling the pieces; but, I can't bring myself to destroy a perfectly good item - all for more financial gain. The sellers who do this are just greedy, plain and simple.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 12:57 am 

Also,
There are some people out there including collectors who already need or have only the cabinet or chassis. So not everybody gets stuck with orphans when someone sells one or the other. Sometimes the only way to obtain a part is via a parted out set. Not everybody has the same set of values be they collectors or not.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:04 am 

The almighty dollar….

'nuff said…

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:08 am 

azenithnut wrote:
The almighty dollar….

'nuff said…

-Steve

+1

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:30 am 

This topic has been discussed B4 and will be discussed again and again.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=318413

***"Your best teacher is your last mistake"***

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 3:41 am 

they do the same thing with clocks

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:03 pm 

In another thread a gentleman has been taking a beating for deciding how to divest himself of his collection. The common theme is that anything is better than sending stuff to the dump. Now we decide to go after someone else because they part radios out. We don't even know the sellers reasons, but isn't it better to keep it out of the dump? I recently acquired a Jackson Bell Swan radio cabinet from a thrift store in San Diego County. Talking to the owner I found it came from an estate sale earlier where he acquired all that was left over. I then started looking for a chasis to get to make the radio complete again and found that one had recently sold on e-bay from a seller in San Diego county and I can't help but think the chasis and cabinet came from the same estate sale and got separated somehow. Now the cabinet is in beautiful shape and the only way I will be able to make it whole again is to find a chasis from a parts stripper. I will not buy another complete radio just to make another orphan cabinet. These guys have a place in the circle of life.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:26 pm 

Your right Jim. They have a place in the circle of life of these antiques.....

... they end the life of the radio as a complete unit...

... for monetary gain.

Its whatever. Some sets need to be parted. Basket cases with no hope of restoration as a whole. Others however.... DON'T.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:42 pm 

jbrill1976 wrote:
In another thread a gentleman has been taking a beating for deciding how to divest himself of his collection. The common theme is that anything is better than sending stuff to the dump. Now we decide to go after someone else because they part radios out. We don't even know the sellers reasons, but isn't it better to keep it out of the dump? I recently acquired a Jackson Bell Swan radio cabinet from a thrift store in San Diego County. Talking to the owner I found it came from an estate sale earlier where he acquired all that was left over. I then started looking for a chasis to get to make the radio complete again and found that one had recently sold on e-bay from a seller in San Diego county and I can't help but think the chasis and cabinet came from the same estate sale and got separated somehow. Now the cabinet is in beautiful shape and the only way I will be able to make it whole again is to find a chasis from a parts stripper. I will not buy another complete radio just to make another orphan cabinet. These guys have a place in the circle of life.

My fear is that once all the value has been parted out of a chassis, then it does wind up in the landfill. Meanwhile, all the tubes are burning away in some Aduiophile's badly designed and executed project.

I called the few chassis' I picked up 'doorstops' because that's basically all they are once separated from everything they contained of individual value. Sure, there are those cases where a junker is good for nothing else, but all too often I see what looks like a once pristine unit.

So yes, I too have had occasion to take advantage of the situation - out of how many units being fed to the meat grinder on a daily basis?

Overall, I don't think it's a good situation.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 10:22 pm 

So, I should revoke my organ donor card? :wink: :mrgreen:

EVERYTHING is parted out - cars, computers, radios, classic stereo components, appliances, even antique furniture.

My thoughts - it's yours, do as you wish, unless it's a one-off rarity. Mass produced? ....never miss it, and it'll only make surviving radios worth more.... :lol:

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 11:34 pm 

Concerning parting out radios, from any era, I have two questions: what do you do with the leftover parts, and how long do you keep them around?

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 11:34 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
So, I should revoke my organ donor card? :wink: :mrgreen:

EVERYTHING is parted out - cars, computers, radios, classic stereo components, appliances, even antique furniture.

My thoughts - it's yours, do as you wish, unless it's a one-off rarity. Mass produced? ....never miss it, and it'll only make surviving radios worth more.... :lol:

And if someone parted you out when you were perfectly serviceable, what would you say about that?

Just sayin'... :P

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 12:09 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
What nobody is ever able to explain to me is why the people who whine about someone else parting out a radio, bang their virtual fists on the virtual table and preach loudly to the choir ... "They All Must Be Saved!!" ..... never seem willing to ante up themselves. They expect others to do the heavy lifting. As far as I'm concerned if you are unwilling to put up .... you should shut up.

The world is full of people telling others how to live their lives .... this is just one more way to interfere in someone else's business. If I own a radio and decide to part it out that's my business, not anyone else's. If you don't like what I'm doing ... buy it and save it yourself.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 12:33 am 

John Bartley wrote:
What nobody is ever able to explain to me is why the people who whine about someone else parting out a radio, bang their virtual fists on the virtual table and preach loudly to the choir ... "They All Must Be Saved!!" ..... never seem willing to ante up themselves. They expect others to do the heavy lifting. As far as I'm concerned if you are unwilling to put up .... you should shut up.

The world is full of people telling others how to live their lives .... this is just one more way to interfere in someone else's business. If I own a radio and decide to part it out that's my business, not anyone else's. If you don't like what I'm doing ... buy it and save it yourself.

You can kidd yourself that what you are doing is 'heavy lifting' - but it's not. That would be the people that make these artifacts live again.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 12:36 am 

You know John, your exactly right. I'll just shut my mouth and not voice an opinion on it anymore. Who gives a crap about a bunch of old radios anyway. Its the money thats most important.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 12:41 am 

badwaxcaps wrote:
...Its the money thats most important.

Apparently.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 49 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next