Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 23, 2018 7:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Can someone 'splain why some ebay sellers part out radio
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 10:40 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Sol wrote:
purely for financial gain

How do you know?

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 12:34 am 

What would another valid reason be if not money? A deep rooted hatred of old radios? :lol: I suppose space constraints could apply as well as horribly distressed sets.

I do remember reading here about a guy on the west coast who is specifically, self admittedly, in the business of parting out valuable antiques. Not just radios but all kinds of stuff. And he does it purely for the money.

I'm no angel. I've trashed sets before. I've repurposed a few. I've even parted a few. I personally don't care about the riff raff either. Theres a zillion AA5's out there. I mostly take issue with the rare sets. Somehow I think, just a little, a smidge, just a tad that if someone were to show up here and say he was parting out a complete, original 1000Z in near mint condition that he would find himself fending off a lot of guff from this community. From people on both sides of the coin. I'm also pretty sure there's a few here that would say.... whatever.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 12:48 am 

badwaxcaps wrote:
What would another valid reason be if not money? A deep rooted hatred of old radios? .

Yes, very true, but I'm not sure that money is the reason as much as the objective. I think that what you posted earlier is very relevant (why do people do it). While "money" is the end result, it's the motivation that is what I'd like to know and can't know in 99.999% of cases. I detest people who destroy "things", and let's not limit it to radios. There were videos posted on Utube about people who simply break things and one of the videos I watched was a person smashing an old TV to pieces. It didn't look like much, but the point is that this person added nothing to our environment (meaning more than just the planet ... ). When he was done he had a broken pile of scrap that went to the landfill. Ok, I'll say it .... he was (in my opinion) an idiot.

Motivation .... For us to look at a set being parted out and ascribe mercenary reasons for the parting without knowing the reason is to lay blame where there may be a genuine reason .... financial hardship, lack of space, orders from an other half etc. So unless I "know", I can't bring myself to accuse someone else of being a destroyer or greedy.

So .... end result (money) vs motivation (we don't know). Pretty hard for me at least to be judge and jury without all the facts and that abandoning of due process bothers me whether it's this or any other judging that we do.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 12:52 am 

No, we can't 'know' another's motivation - but they know.

It's about principal. Do we believe in principal, or not?

We can't know that either - but they know. You know.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 1:21 am 

The guy I mentioned earlier... I know his motivation is money. We identified several sets he had purchased before and sold for profit as parts.

Thats at least one I guess.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:36 am 

I believe this thread could benefit from hearing from an expert in antiquities and recycling. Unfortunately, Mr. Fred G. Sanford is no longer able to share his business acumen with us. Pity. Maybe I can locate Lamont on Facebook to obtain his thoughts on the subject. . . . :P

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:23 am 

badwaxcaps wrote:
The guy I mentioned earlier... I know his motivation is money. We identified several sets he had purchased before and sold for profit as parts.

Thats at least one I guess.

I am pretty sure there's a healthy trade in parted rare sets and audio gear and other "stuff", like the 1940's Ram hood ornament I bought for my Ecodiesel. And yes, given some research, mostly on eBay, it's probably easy enough to identify them, but it's not my place to judge them, or anyone else publicly.

cheers

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:00 am 

I don't remember his name and even if I did I know better, in today's world, than to mention it here. Just saying he's an example of parting for profit. I should'nt name call people anyway but it comes easily when expressing displeasure with something. If memory serves he was a go to guy for Jensen Super Giants, Scott tweeters and amps and also MS MP amps. He of course had all the corresponding parts as well. Tuners, cabinets, pedestal speakers etc.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:13 pm 

OK five times I have typed up a reply in this thread, and I've backed out and not posted...

We all have parted out sets. It is the nature of the hobby. A set comes along which is either too far gone or just too undesirable to deal with.
Often the reason for parting out is to make another live. OK, I'm fine with that. It happens.

But when fine, complete desirable radios which many of us would give our eye teeth to own get parted out because they can get big bucks for the speakers, amplifiers or parts is a crying shame in my opinion.

OK some of you feel different... FINE! FEEL THAT WAY IF YOU REALLY NEED TO! But I'm voicing MY opinion and I know I'm not alone!

I think we all know of the guy who goes to Estes, buys up complete perfectly restorable radios then busts them up in the parking lot and puts the parts on ebay.

If the motivation is something other than money, I sure would like to know what it is.

I am done and will no longer look at this thread.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 49 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3